Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scenic resort for walking/june shortish transfer any ideas

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all we are wanting some mountain air and are looking to go around the 20th of june we are wanting somewhere stunning with good hotels and not too long a transfer we were going to go to ortisei in the dolomites but we would have to hire a car from venice with a 250km drive on foreign roads which we aren't keen on, any ideas it has got to be a lovely picturesque place with easy access to walking or cable cars to take you higher Very Happy Is it worth using a TO or is it a DIY job.
many thanks
andy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zermatt? Fly to GVA, easy train transfer. Mountain scenery doesn't get much more stunning. Gornergratbahn, Klein Matterhorn and Schwartzsee cable cars. DIY should be easy, just compare with TO costs.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 28-02-08 18:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Equally GVA to Chamonix could fit the bill
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Equally GVA to Chamonix could fit the bill

Talking of which, Courmayeur at the other end of the MB tunnel is lovely, and close to GVA.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wow they were quick replies thanks, does the train go straight into zermatt? We are fine with a train transfer it's the thought of being on a coach for 4 hours that just doesn't appeal I have heard that zermatt is expensive for everthing, is it? Any thoughts on where to stay there we like a good quality hotel but with a sensible price. Will the cable cars be open at that time and if so how much is it to use them, i bet the walking round there would be great. Courmayer appeals as well oh it's so confusing as we were set on the dolomites until we thought about that drive on unfamiliar roads. How would you get to courmayer from Geneva?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Zermatt or Wengen would be my suggestions.....hmm, sounds like such a good plan that I may go to Wengen myself then snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fly to Salzburg, pick any resort in ski amade area, most around 1 hr drive. I'm based in Schladming, great location for the summer, loads of well marked walks in meadows, forest, high alpine, glaciers, waterfalls, etc. Lots of other stuff to do as well.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Elizabeth B, we have been to wengen in the winter but I am sure it will be great in the summer the only problem I have just thought of is smoking in bars i can't bear it, but i suppose at that time it will be ok to sit out, we just want somewhere that we don't have to hire a car to get to as we just won't use it when we are there.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andyarmitage, at that time of year it should be sit out weather, certainly in the day.....although with my parents there, I'm sure that the snow will be deeper than at any point during the winter rolling eyes
snow report
 dt
dt
Serfaus or Ladis in Austria- train from innsbruck to landeck then bus up from Landeck, both have nice walking and superb hotels. About 1hr10 in a hire car from the airport. La Clusaz/ Grand Bornand in Haute Savoie- closer to GVA than Chamonix and nicer walking, although not many breathtaking hotels. No train links either, but good call with a hire car.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

How would you get to courmayer from Geneva

Drive along the motorway M40 then through the Mont Blanc Tunnel. Courmayeur is not far, and very straightforward. You have to pay for the tunnel, of course.

Zermatt or Wengen might be best if you want to avoid having a car. I don't know Zermatt, but have always wanted to go there. We had a few days camping not far from Wengen last summer. The trains are very easy. We drove to Lauterbrunnen then caught a train up, but you don't have to drive and there are some good all-in deals on the trains (though going right up to the top is expensive, and the day we went up there it suddenly became very cloudy and we didn't see much).

It was busy though, with loads of tourists, especially large numbers of Japanese and Indian tourists - maybe it was high season for them. Does mean that English is very widely spoken.

There are heaps and heaps of less busy, less well known, options. For example, from Geneva you could easily drive to Annecy, a beautiful lakeside spot, surrounded by lots of walking in places like La Clusaz, within an easy drive. If you don't want to drive, then Switzerland is probably the best bet.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chamonix or Zermatt would be my vote.

The lifts are all open in Chamonix then, but it's still relatively quiet.

http://www.chaletlaforet.com/summer/hiking.html

http://www.les-praz-de-chamonix.com/category/things-to-do/summer/
(scroll down for some hiking pics)

ps this ain't pimpin! we are too big and booked anyway wink
I would recommend the Eden
http://www.hoteleden-chamonix.com/

Zermatt is beautiful too though. Zermatt's more chocolate box, Chamonix has more of a proper mountain town feel. The Matterhorn is one of the world's most beautiful mountains, Chamonix has Mont Blanc, and, I think, more varied scenery....Either's lovely though! And you can do Courmayeur as a day trip from Chamonix, which is great. Or of course vice versa.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 28-02-08 21:02; edited 5 times in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some pics. I'm missing summer already, just thinking about it...

Mer De Glace, Chamonix

The Terrace at Chalet Floria, Chamonix

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chaletlaforet/sets/72157594275189777/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
firebug, thanks for that i must admit I hadn't thought of Chamonix it's really stunning scenery isn't it? that hotel looks quite nice is it in a good location for cable cars and walks do you know the people who have it as we just want to stay somewhere good, they say they would pick up from geneva which might be an option if not too expensive. it's all about sorting it out for the right price isn't it but it's tempting, any idea where to look for cheap flights to geneva? many thanks for your help
andy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andyarmitage, Les Contamines is one and a quarter hours from geneva. Small quiet scenic village situated on the Tour Mont Blanc Route,with many well signposted local walks of varying duration for all levels of fitness if you would like further information please p.m me
latest report
andyarmitage, It is amazing! I just never get tired of it.

The Eden is in a very good location for cable cars and walks - close to the Flegere lift, and you have Les Praz train station to get to other lifts. I do know the owners slightly as we used to stay there whenever we could get in, and still eat there from time to time, as a treat.

It's very well run, and the food's great. Swedish management so the interior is more modern that the exterior might suggest. The front rooms are the nicest, with balconies and Mont Blanc views.
They also have some apartments now, which look good, but check that you're not looking out onto the chalet that's being built behind it at the moment. Mind you, they ought to be done by June.

If you want somewhere *really* nice, there's
http://www.chaletsphilippe.com/index_en.html
but they're not cheap! And you do need a car there. Close to the beginning of Le Chapeau which is a lovely walk.

I've also heard that the Excelsior has improved a lot in recent years
http://www.les-praz-de-chamonix.com/eating-drinking/hotel-excelsior/
but haven't tried it yet. Lunch there is on the list for this summer, so as to sample their pool. Lovely situation too, not far from the Eden.

Flight/car advice here
http://www.chaletlaforet.com/chalet/flying.html

In summer, I think it's nice to be a little out of the main town, as it's so quick to walk in, and it's much more peaceful. Closer to the start of a lot of walks too. If you did want to be right in town, try the Faucigny or the Arve hotels.

I've been to Wengen in summer and it's very pretty - I remember a little place called Gimmelwald near there as being especially lovely.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 29-02-08 0:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
We spent 2 weeks in vallercine last summer in a rented apartment - "residence le cep". Nice and quiet, one great bar/restaurant nearby and a few mins walk from the train (free if you get a tourist card)

Lots of walks in the area (worth taking a trip to switzerland to see the dino footprints)

Some highlights here -
http://www.prog99.com/Summer%20Holidays/Vallercine%20-%20July%202007/index.html
latest report
pam w, but where is the pic!!!!

edit - eep! Where is the post? Am I going mad?
latest report
firebug, no, I am. The pic just didn't appear - just an empty box - so I deleted it....
snow conditions
awwww Sad
snow report
firebug, thanks again you said it's nice to be a little way out of the main town, is the eden a little way out of town? if so is it easy enough to walk in. I can get flights return from Leeds for about £78 pounds all in for both of us which seems a bargain would you agree? Any other tips will be greatly appreciated as we really fancy this area now, where is that little mountain hut with all the flowers outside it looks a nice spot. Are there plenty of huts serving food around and I suppose there are loads of well signed walks around.
andy
ski holidays
Another vote for Wengen from me, don't worry about smoke filled bars in the summer, there are far fewer people out there in summer and most of them are in bed by 9.30pm, also the area has a summer walking pass that lets you use many of the trains and cable cars and if you get bored with walking there's always the lake steamers from Interlaken, I prefer Lake Thun to Brienz as I think it more scenic with 3 castles at Thun, Spiez and Oberhoffen (sp?)
snow report
It's hard to do justice to the flower meadows unless you are a good photographer. But this one gives a feel for it - our apartment is in one of the buildings right at the very top.

I think you'd struggle in Chamonix without a car - if you really don't want to drive, Wengen would be a better bet, and it's fabulous too.
snow conditions
This village is Boudin, in the Beaufortain, last October. It's surrounded by flower meadows in June.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry, this is definitely the last, but you have to go somewhere with cows with bells on.
latest report
great pictures D G Orf, we have been skiing in wengen once, thanks to your advice on transport etc we stayed at the falken which was just ok not great, would rather stay elsewhere if we went back, i suppose there are plenty of marked walking paths there, is it still going to be the cheapest to fly to basle then get a train or are the nearer airports better, that's what we did last time though i would need to know all the details of getting from the airport and how to use the bus ticket machine as I have forgotten all that Very Happy
thanks again for all your imput as we just don't know where to go. pam w, would we struggle in chamonix without a car? as we only want to go walking and take in the mountain atmosphere I thought if we are staying near the centre we might not need one. If we hired a car to go to chamonix, as I have just worked out the transfer will cost us £123 who would be the cheapest to hire from and I presume I hire from the airport if so do I book it in advance or when I get there, sorry for all the questions but you snowheads are a priceless font of knowledge Very Happy With the wengen option am I better off going with a tour op?
snow report
andyarmitage, a pleasure, it's nice to have an excuse to look though the pics!

It's probably about 20 minutes walk to the town centre from the Eden, it's a nice walk with several different ways. If you stay in town, you have to get to the start of most of the walks, so I've always prefered Les Praz. There's some shops and cafes around there, check the site above for more. Most tips I can think of are on there or on the chalet site...
http://www.chaletlaforet.com/summer/cablecars.html

It's handy to have a car but you don't really need one, especially in summer. I've been plenty of times without. Epecially if you plan to do walks with different start and end points, like the Balcons - you have to get the train/bus either out or back anyway.

The tourist office usually runs a coach to Courmayeur once a week. But then, car hire is pretty cheap, and by the time you've had the transfer and the coach trip, it might not be much more to have a car....

The flights are with Jet2 I guess? Really good news that they fly from Leeds all the year round now. We have family there and they love it in summer. That's a good deal for the flights!

There are lots of lovely mountain huts serving food. Odd, because on-the-mountain food is not that great in winter, but in summer, all the little places open up and it's super! Chalet Floria (with the pic above) is one of the best known,
http://www.les-praz-de-chamonix.com/eating-drinking/chalet-floria/

but there are loads more, like this one
http://www.les-praz-de-chamonix.com/eating-drinking/buvette-des-mottets-chamonix/

and the one at Lac Blanc
http://www.les-praz-de-chamonix.com/things-to-do/lac-blanc-hike/
snow conditions
Ha, I type slow, especially at this time of night Laughing

Lovely picspam w, what a great place for your apartment! I agree, cows with bells are mandatory in an Alpine holiday.

Car hire info here if you did want to do it, I see you're already ahead of me on the transfer cost! Though if the flights suit, you could get the bus (details are on my site) which is 55 euros return, so a bit cheaper.
http://www.chaletlaforet.com/chalet/carhire.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andyarmitage wrote:
does the train go straight into zermatt?

One change from GVA to Zermatt. It is in the most spectacular valley, Matterhorn at one end, Monte Rosa, I think a total of 13 4000m+ peaks around the valley, Gornergletscher (easily accessible by train), reasonably attractive if rather up market town, which is traffic free (if you don't count electric cabs). Walking of all standards from a gentle stroll to pretty major mountaineering.

Quote:
How would you get to courmayer from Geneva?

There's bound to be a regular bus service of some sort, or if you're en famille a private transfer would be a possibility. It's only a couple of hours IIRC.

We spent a very pleasant summer hol in Villeneuve (aka part of Serre Chevalier in the winter). We drove, I don't know what the airport transfer is like (don't even know which airport; GVA? Grenoble? Lyon? JFK?). We have also stayed in Klosters in summer; flew to Zurich and then train, one or two changes, can't remember. It's not quaint, but it's OK and quiet now that the Davos traffic bypasses it, and it gives access to some great walking. Kitzbuhel is jolly enough in the summer; fly to Munich then train, one change, sometimes two.

The Jura is a very attractive area for a summer hol. Not as high as the Alps, but beautiful and with excellent grub all over the place. Driving is probably the best way to go.
snow report
andyarmitage, If you want lovely scenery and good food, try the Hotel Hochfilzer in Ellmau in Austria. Great walks via chair lifts and the local buses run up and down the valley. Can highly recommend this area and Hotel. For a cheaper option they have the Pension Claudia where you sleep and have brekkie but all facilities and evening meal in the main hotel.
Flights to Munich, Innsbruck or Salzburg and hotel will organise transfer for around 135 euro for up to 8 people. No car required we stayed here for a fortnight and never missed it.

ps plenty of cow bells guaranteed!

http://www.hotel-hochfilzer.com/de/default.asp
snow conditions
ruthie, Another vote for the Ellmau / Scheffau / Wilden Kaiser area in summer, lovely walking from the easy to mountainous. Lots of climbing too, and white water sports.
ski holidays
andyarmitage wrote:
Hi all we are wanting some mountain air and are looking to go around the 20th of june we are wanting somewhere stunning with good hotels and not too long a transfer we were going to go to ortisei in the dolomites but we would have to hire a car from venice with a 250km drive on foreign roads which we aren't keen on, any ideas it has got to be a lovely picturesque place with easy access to walking or cable cars to take you higher Very Happy Is it worth using a TO or is it a DIY job.
many thanks
andy

Why would you think of flying to Venice for Ortisei?

It is an awful lot closer to Innsbruck (112 Km according to viaMichelin).

Bolzano is the closest airport, but very few flights there from the UK.
snow report
Just one point to bear in mind - its Euro 2008 in June in Austria/Switzerland http://en.euro2008.uefa.com/index.html
snow report
cathy, Yikes Shocked good point!
snow conditions
alex_heney, i just can't find flights to innsbruck at reasonable prices
ski holidays
firebug, i got the price of the flights wrong I don't know how! they are £155 for two return which still seems pretty good do you think.
snow conditions
andyarmitage, just to put a spanner in the works...how about Murren opp Wengen ??

Murren Village

Views around Murren

great restaurants with lovely views

forget cows with bells...how about sheep !

ski holidays
Yes, I'm sure Murren is great too. There are so many beautiful places right through the Alps. And goats with bells.. (well, one of them has one; the bell wether, I suppose except that's a sheep).
ski holidays
firebug, Thanks again for your advice, I think so long as I can get the week off I want we will go to Chamonix in June. Just a question about the Eden hotel it looks good, but is it a nice quality hotel as we do like to stay in good qualiy hotels? They will do us a front facing room with views of Mont Blanc halfboard for 78 euros per person per day is that a good price or is it expensive for a 2 star hotel? I don't think we have stayed in a 2 star hotel before so I am a bit nervous about how nice it is not knocking 2 stars of course, Shocked but you know it so we are putting our trust in you Very Happy Also the location of the hotel, is the centre of Chamonix just a walk away as I think I read somewhere that the lift near the hotel is a 40 minute walk away just wondered how far it is, it's just that we would like to wander into the centre now and then, are there paths to walk on so it's a safe walk? Is that hotel a good location for walks we want to walk up to the mountain lake and see the chalet floria in all it's glory it all looks stunning I just hope we can do it from the hotel as you know we don't want to hire a car, how much are the cable cars to use and is it just best to pay on the day we use them? sorry for all the questions we just want to make sure we are making the right choice, thanks again for taking time to help us it's much appreciated.
Andy
snow report
They're all lovely. We had a great summer holiday in Grindelwald once, going to Wengen and Murren and the Lauterbrunnen Valley.

Anyway to answer your qs andyarmitage,

It's no problem - I like to talk about Chamonix and will do so all day if not stopped! Also it helps me to see what people want to know, so I can get the right info on my own site Smile

Lift schedules here
http://www.compagniedumontblanc.fr/pages/horaires_ete_gb.html
which you may want to check. Most of them opening from the 14th, though Grands Montets will be later. Nice to see the Hellbronner lift will be open more this year. It's a lot of money to do the full Mont Blanc panorama trip including the Hellbronner but it's worth it. They are reviewing the timetables at the mo but are likely to extend the openings if anything, according to previous PR.

I think the full day lift pass prices for pedestrians are ridiculous. Why they don't review them I have no idea, I can't believe they sell many.
Just get the tickets as you need them. If you're going to go up one and down another make sure you check this with the ticket office
e.g. montenvers/aig du midi midstation.

Here's some photos of this walk in snow in the autumn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chaletlaforet/sets/72157602218631940/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chaletlaforet/sets/72157603141948734/

Though I'd personally allow a couple more hours and walk down from either of those, it's lovely. If you always get the cable cars both up and down, you miss out on quite a lot I think. Get poles/sticks though, or your knees will hurt after the descents.

That price sounds fine. But personally, I wouldn't go half board. The Eden is actually my favourite restaurant in Chamonix, but there's so many other places to try! Even just in Les Praz, there's some that it would be a shame to miss, a few minutes walk from the Eden. If you prefer HB, there's no better place to do it though. The Maitre d' has been there for ever and is a gem.

Now I'm a bit worried in case you like really super smart places and curse my name when you get there! I'd just have a look at the site - the photos on it look pretty accurate to me.

It's a lot nicer than its two stars suggest though. I think in France, stars are awarded more for facilities, so the rather grim Aiglons, for instance, is a three star because it has a pool, etc etc. The Eden isn't deluxe but it would probably be a three star in the UK, and its restaurant more like a four.

It's streets ahead of the two star Rhododendrons over the road, which is inexpensive but has some rather weird decor. The Excelsior would be another good possibility but I don't know what the rooms are like (it's on the lespraz site).

It takes me about 25 minutes to walk to the centre of Chamonix from the Eden. It's a very nice, almost level walk, you can do it lots of safe, different ways (through the woods or along the river, or on quiet back roads). Lovely views. Or you can get the bus or train - you get a free pass for these when you arrive.

Using the bus or train is fine for walks - you generally have to do it anyway to get back to your starting point. The train is always the nicest, pick up a timetable when you get there and take it with you when you go out for walks. The only lift to NOT get the train to is Le Tour, you need to get the bus to that one or it's a long, steep slog to the bubble.

You would do all the walks I've put on
http://www.les-praz-de-chamonix.com/
from there. That's why we've always preferred Les Praz - if you stay in Chamonix, you have to get to the start of a lot of the walks. Especially this summer, with the Brevent bubble being replaced.

It's certainly not 40 minutes away! It's about two minutes to get to the Flegere lift. Oh, I see, 40 minutes from Chamonix to Flegere? You'd have to be going pretty slowly. Maybe if you had small kids, or stopped an awful lot to take pics it would take that long?

You can check distances etc here
http://www.les-praz-de-chamonix.com/maps/

The lakes are astonishing - make sure you don't just stop at the first one at Lac Blanc, there's another behind it. Don't miss the Floria, it's really amazing. It takes about an hour to walk up to it, or you can get the lift up, and walk down. There are tons more, I'm putting them up as I can source the pics.

There's a book called Mont Blanc Trails which you can get at the tourist office when you're there, it's the best one and has a very good map. I also recommend buying a slim glossy colour walking pamphlet that you can buy at the Mer de Glace campsite, near the Eden. I forget the name of this book, but it's got some good pics of the best walks, and it's a cheap and handy extra to the main guide. The maps are not too good though so you need the other one as well really.

We keep buying the glossy one for the chalet but people think it's a tourist office freebie and go off with it! I might buy a length of nice cord and tie some pine cones to it or something this year.

hope this helps! Smile

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 4-03-08 2:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy