Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tolls for van in France

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm driving out for a week in Val d'Isere soon with my brother. We are trying to decide between taking my (diesel) van or his (petrol) car.

Are motorway tolls for vans significantly more expensive? Mine's a 1.9L VW Transporter panel van short wheel base.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hd, I think you'll pay the same - but someone will be along soon to confirm one way or another. On most of the gates, if you go through the credit card lane, you just stick a card in a slot, and there are no height barriers, so the machine doesn't know what you're driving. There's a useful price advantage in using diesel in France.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.autoroutes.fr/index.php?id=163
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have sent the poster a little tip that should negate the need for choice. wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
hd, I think you'll pay the same - but someone will be along soon to confirm one way or another. On most of the gates, if you go through the credit card lane, you just stick a card in a slot, and there are no height barriers, so the machine doesn't know what you're driving. There's a useful price advantage in using diesel in France.

I don't know which tolls you go through pam but in the Rhone Alpes there are 2 meter height barriers. A VW transporter caravelle type van will just go through I'm told by one owner.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
On the mappy.fr route planne the quote in euros for tolls for a car calais-val is 77. For a "camion less than 3.5T" it is 169. Confused

I think my van is just under 2m high so maybe I'll be ok.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Having driven both car and van in France,yes,a van is charged at a higher rate...any van...I think Confused Have a feeling its the 'commercial' element,though not sure.Certainly,if you go through an attended kiosk you will be charged more.From memory,all? the CC lanes I have been through have a height barrier...though its often dangly plastic chain type things.Well remember going through one in my brothers van,with the chains rattling along the roof.As we cleared the barrier,an attendant appeared shouting and waving his arms at us....too late NehNeh We were a little concerned,a couple of mins later,when a Police car appeared behind us,all lights flashing........but they zoomed past.Phew Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowskisnow, but are the height barriers 2 metres? My VW Transporter is 196cm tall so maybe I'll be ok. Confused

What van were you driving?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hd, Transit(two types)both just over 2mtrs.Not exactly sure of the barrier height,but it must be around 2.I do know that we have been under barriers that never touched...but have also seen barriers that we 'knew' we would never get under! Not sure of the protocol involved,but have a feeling that all vans should go through the attended lane?A simple theory...what's the worst that can happen? they charge you what you should have paid in the first place(if they stop you...unlikely IMHO)The difference between a car and van is significant on a longer journey,so worth trying for.At 196 you may well clear all the barriers you come across...just wink Just don't hang around when the barrier lifts Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, I was wrong, sorry.

http://www.aprr.fr/fr/particulier/Classes_vehicules.pdf?FileID=documents%2520aprr%2fclasses_vehicules.pdf

However, I have most definitely driven through lots of credit card payment lanes with the roof bars and ski bars on my Fiat Multipla - because it won't go under the telepeage barriers with them on. I probably shouldn't have... though perhaps the roof bar assembly doesn't alter the class of vehicle.

A van between 2 and 3 metres less than 3.5tonnes is class 2, but still a fair bit more.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers for all the links+advice. So it appears that all vans should be in "Classe 2" => (significantly?) more expensive, but if the vehicle is less than 2m high it might get away with being charged the normal car rate. Or less. wink

So to conclude we will be taking the van not the car to benefit from the cheaper diesel. And crossing our fingers that we don't get stung on the tolls. Confused
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hd wrote:
I think my van is just under 2m high so maybe I'll be ok.

Make sure you keep the tyre pressure low and you'll be fine.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hd, I have a Merc v class -same size as a Vito- it is charged as class 1 so you should be the same I would say
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We drove down a couple of weeks ago in a Freelander with roofbox and measured just under 2.1m and we used the 2m toll barriers on the T lane without touching.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy