Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Feb Half -Term 2009 Grrrrrrrr!

Poster: A snowHead
madness surely some national plicy of staggering half term over 3 diff weeks would make sense.. neighbouring counties having different weeks where poss..
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CANV CANVINGTON, would make sense, however.....

I work 2 miles away from the county border. One of my colleagues who lives the other side, has been in the situation this year that his wife and kids have all their holidays at different times to him. The only time they have been able to have a family holiday is at Christmad.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen Beaumont, ouch... that is really going to hurt the pocketbook and cause loads of travel hassle...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank goodness I won't be in the Tarentais that week then.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank goodness I won't have schoolchildren any more! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
laundryman, nor me. YOungest leaving in the summer.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Has anyone considered that the little children might much prefer to be at their school with their friends rather than getting cold and upset being dragged halfway around the world satisfying their parents' obsessions? Shocked

Shall I get my coat? Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mine are in secondary and the older one has GCSE's next year so no way are they missing school for skiing.

Having started to look for holidays next year I realised how lucky we were having half-term last week (as most London schools) not the week before as per most of the rest of hte UK. We got a package including ski pass for £550ph in La Tania, and 3V wasn't over crowded. No chance for 2009 as we all get the same half-term (if in doubt look on your Council's web-site. For general picture look on the LGA web-site).

So I think we will be back to a week in April as per the previous 8 years (of which 2 had poor conditions inc 07 but we were based at lower altitude than usual). The only real down-side of April skiing is slush below 1500m. On the plus side it's cheaper, more availability, nicer weather, longer days, less crowded, no pushy French kids, and buckets of snow depth. Also the shops have end-of season sales for clothes and kit.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SuburbanSkier, I agree. April skiing is great. I have fond memories of sitting on top of a mountain in the snow with a cold beer out of a backpack, last April. People talk as though early March was late season. My problem with family skiing next year, when we are trying to arrange a big get together, is that although we have no secondary school children we have teachers and final year students to take into consideration and the latter can't be going away at Easter. I have a feeling it is going to have to be Christmas, which is always dodgy for snow (albeit last Christmas was fantastic).,

Your La Tania deal sounds extremely good.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SuburbanSkier, I'm surprised. I was under the impression that the 2nd half term week was the busier of the two? Certainly the Austrian press portrayed it that way with their estimates of UK coaches on the roads.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Elizabeth B wrote:
CANV CANVINGTON, would make sense, however.....

I work 2 miles away from the county border. One of my colleagues who lives the other side, has been in the situation this year that his wife and kids have all their holidays at different times to him. The only time they have been able to have a family holiday is at Christmad.

always takes a few eggs to make an omlette wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CANV CANVINGTON, good point. I was going to post about families with kids at schools in different areas with different half terms, but come to think of it, sod 'em. The greater good should prevail.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Coach trips of UK kids and students - certainly felt that way on the ferry out and at the service stations - but maybe London schools are more likely to take coach-based trips, and go to Austria. Anyway the prices and availability as well as the lift queues makes me think last week was quieter in France (also no Parisiens last week which helps).

anyway - academic as most of us will have the same Feb half-term in 2009.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

also no Parisiens last week which helps

? I thought Zone C holidays were from 23 February to 8 March.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

also no Parisiens last week which helps

? I thought Zone C holidays were from 23 February to 8 March.

which would be this week and next but not last week Very Happy
snow conditions
vivski, ah yes, of course Embarassed
snow report
pam w, Very Happy - was looking at my calendar on my desk thinking "if it's the 28th today then surely the 23rd can't have been that long ago?" but I did have to think about it for a while!
Luckily for us with no kids to think about we are missing the half term weeks and easter this year Very Happy going out week of 8th March - after last year my clever mother, whose children are all grown up so doesn't think about school holidays, booked our holiday for bang-slap in the middle of a big french half term holiday rolling eyes
ski holidays
Thank god I only have to get a Kennel/babysitter for the Dog Toofy Grin
snow report
Ordhan, I take the dog with me.
snow conditions
it a battle with the OH at the mo, daughter starting primary school in sept and she doesn't want to take her out, i am of the thinking that at that age it doesn't matter and traveling with be a benifit for her
latest report
I don't see it as a horrendously bad thing to take children out of school. My (probably lame) understanding is that it is about attendance targets and disruption to lessons. Fair enough that you should let the school know in good time. I can see the point about disruption if a large amount of the children are off at the same or similar times. I used to go on school-organised ski trips, in term time, and while we didn't do 'proper lessons' I still maintain that its a useful educational exercise, in the broad sense of growing awareness, understanding, character, self development, life experience etc. - luckily it even improved my skiing too wink
snow report
jase2472, I have teachers friends and they teach primary school, they say in primary school it makes no difference whatsoever for a child to be off for a week. The only thing they warn slightly against is taking them out first week or early in term if you can as normally these are the most intense weeks.

Same logic I will assume applies to secondary Confused
ski holidays
In this area there was a tendency for families to take children "home" to their country of origin for holidays in UK winter when it's not too hot. Many children were missing at least 2-weeks school on a regular basis which impacts not only on the child going away, but on those remaining in the classroom. The LEA and schools have clamped down hard on in-term holidays for this reason, and have the support for this policy from leaders of the main communities involved, as they saw the educational impact. Obviously the impact on the child is worst at the beginning of the year and term, and in secondary school especially at KS3 and 4 exam time. So it has knock-on effects on all in-term holidays whether a weeks skiing skiing, for cheap summer holidays or a longer trip "home". There has to be one rule for all, otherwise . . . . Sad
snow report
Moss wrote:
I can see the point about disruption if a large amount of the children are off at the same or similar times.

I would think for the teacher that it would be more of an issue if they were off at staggered times. If you have 10 kids missing the same week, you only have to prepare 1 lot of "catch-up" work. 10 kids off, 1 a week for 10 weeks, involves 10 x the work.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy