Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A delicate...

Poster: A snowHead
balance!

Well, I've got a big round ball thingy that I sit on for hours at a time keeping my toes off the ground. (I suspect I will no longer topple over when sitting on the slope after a spill as my sitting-down balance is now excellent Very Happy )

Standing on one leg is boring - and I've read a lot about unstable bases being good for exercising on so...

I was looking at a thing called a Bosu but stopped looking when I saw the UK price (£180 iirc - $99 in the USA)

I've also looked at balance boards like this:
http://www.lushlongboards.com/05/product/balance.php

But thought £69 was a bit steep for a plank of wood and a bit of dowel.
So I'm going to make my own Smile

Now I tried it with some plywood and a cardboard tube and realised that you need something a bit sturdier Embarassed so I'm off to buy some fencepost tonight...

Has anyone else done any of this? Any suggestions?

If you look closely at the proper boards they have a groove and a 'T' bar that slots in it - how important is that? My cardboard tube prototype worked quite well for 10 mins or so before it got a bit too oval to slide nicely.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lbt, You need the bar and the groove to stop the wood twisting on the roller. The roller with a groove in I could make one for you as I am a woodturner, this would be at a small cost for snowheads wanting to make a wobble board or balance board at a small cost plus post if you interested let me know to make a 3 -4" diameter roller approx 8" in length would cost about £8.00 plus postage for each one made I would give £2.00 to U for snowheads.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had something similaar as a child, but it didn't have a groove. The roller was much bigger though, and the board was just wood with a bit of rubber on it. We had hours of fund with it. I'm sure it's good for your balance as well.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Russell, that sounds like a plan Smile

Denise told me I couldn't buy a lathe just to make one of these

(probably a good idea!)

If you look here - it shows how the curved/tapered/chamfered end is supposed to be used (as opposed to the baseboard itself 'tipping' which is what I originally thought would happen)

I was thinking about buying a cheap skateboard base but my plywood seems fine for now and takes the full length of my foot (which stops your toes curling over the edges which is what happened on a simple 'plank')

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 29-11-04 22:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lbt, Ill try and make a prototype tomorrow and see how I get on with it. The wood turning is the easy bit its getting the dimensions and right the shape should be easy the pictures help.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lbt, don't forget to start with a bit of elastic cord from one end of the T-bar thingy under the roller and over to the other end of the T-bar thingy. You won't believe how fast the roller can escape otherwise (when it isn't soft cardboard that is).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Russell, snowHead wobble boards, too?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
well, no fenceposts at Homebase - I'll try B&Q tomorrow!
(Well, I need a plain cylindrical one to start on)

Now, if only we had some snowHead stickers we could make some l33t cool boards dudes!!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tie me kangeroo down sport tie me kangeroo...... wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lbt wrote:
Russell, that sounds like a plan Smile

I was thinking about buying a cheap skateboard base but my plywood seems fine for now and takes the full length of my foot (which stops your toes curling over the edges which is what happened on a simple 'plank')

He's not doing this in ski boots? Shocked Laughing Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Russell, Just a thought if you actually end up making these - great idea by the way.

Apart from the thickness issue (wide enough for whole foot), it's good to have some shallow grooves (running parallel with the foot) at both ends. This stops your feet sliding off the end, which can happen if you're barefoot, in socks, etc.

Also on the underside, can't say I've needed the groove to keep the roller in position myself - if it does start to slip position, it can add to the exercise to try to get things back in place without stepping off! But ref underneath, mine has two parallel strips of rubber slightly inset running along the length, protruding enough so that the sound of wood on roller is hardly noticeable.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex, you have no idea how strong my toes are Skullie !!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PG, You only need grooves if you have a version with tapered ends on the rollers so you can tip the board (see photos above) I also propose to cover the board with anti-slip tape similar to th top surface of a skate board. I shall do it tonight so news after 10.00pm on whether it works or not.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
WHY????? Puzzled Confused
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lorraine Agass, good for balance teaches body to balance on an unstable platform like a snowboard
snow conditions
So Russell - no sprained ankles I hope Razz

PG - can you post some piccies of the underneath?
snow report
Prototype works need to a little refining, trying to get hold of an old skate board for a better top and I have glued up some wood to give me enough material to turn it down to 120mm which seems to be the standard size any smaller and I don't think it will be as effective. Ill keep you posted should have a second version done on Saturday snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
great - any photos?
snow report
not yet ive lent my digital camera to my sister she's back at the week end
ski holidays
Lorraine Agass, so are you going to have a go?

Go on - just pop out to the shed and get a small plank of wood or something - find a fulcrum and see how easy/hard it is... snowHead

I've also found that with a 'static' fulcrum - ie my semi-squashed cardboard tube (which is getting thinner all the time Embarassed) - that you can play with weight distribution by placing one foot close to the balance point and the other further away).

It seems like a really good way of learning to 'feel' the pressure on the soles of your feet when you balance - I suspect comprex was having a laugh but I will be giving it a go in ski boots (eventually).
snow report
Check out www.indoboard.com/gettingstarted.htm for more info and vid clips on performing tricks.
latest report
Boardski, interesting - ta.
I went into TKMax in reading on saturday and bought a skateboard for £5 (they had 4 or 5 slightly beaten up ones) - took the wheels off and I'm using some metal tube for now (until Russell gets the dimensions sorted)
It's a bit narrower than my plywood and I've put some gaffa tape on the base to give it a tad more friction against the metal tube so it rolls rather than sliding - but it feels really good now - and it's fun too.
latest report
any progress Russell?
Or are you still hungover from the party Wink
snow conditions
lbt, Made one and works OK but haven't photographed it yet my sisters has got my camera. I will try a sort some pics this week.

As to being hung over I cancelled Xmas due to flu my son an I were both sick for 5 days only just getting over it now but I did loose nearly a stone in weight in the process.
snow report
I thru together an board and roller similar to those seen on the Indoboard site. The issue I now have is the lack of friction between the board and the roller. The Indoboard roller appears to be rubber coated, anyone know how I could to rubber coat my wooden roller?
ski holidays
Boardski, I used a metal roller - really slippy!
I put a layer of tape under the board (actually duck tape) - that made it useable.

The problem I have is there's no forward/backward movement Smile
latest report
Quote:

anyone know how I could to rubber coat my wooden roller?

How about a thin vehicle inner tube for the rubber and a large tin of evostick contact adhesive which I know works on wood and I think works on rubber

(Caution only use evostick in a very well ventilated place or you will be higher than your aircraft)
snow report
Quote:

anyone know how I could to rubber coat my wooden roller?

How about racquet handle tape?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy