Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Harness and Crampons ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Which harness and Crampons would you experts recommend for ski touring at the moment ?

Im gonna go for the DMM Super Couloir harness I think ,It has good reviews but Crampons are proving a more difficult choice.

Any opinions on a good medium priced Crampon to suit a Lange ski boot ?

Thanks

Regards Mark
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd go and try a few harnesses on. Really, with touring you're unlikely to be hanging off it for very long so comfort while hanging isn't all that important. You'll also usually have a few layers on so they will provide a bit of padding. So you're best going for the lightest you can that is comfortable while you are walking/skiing. There is a company called cilao (google it) which do super lightweight stuff and you might be able to get one mail order from them

with crampons, "light is right" isn't quite such a no brainer. if there is any prospect that you will be using them on hard ice or rock, i would avoid ones with aluminium spikes. they're light but aren't hard enough for that type of use. i have grivel G12s which are pretty standard crampons for mixed climbing. they are very solid but they are heavy. again, i'd go to a good climbing shop with you ski boot and see what they have. you could probably get away with a 10 point crampon for touring which will save a bit of weight
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Topsmoke,

With a alpine harness you might want to look at ones that you can put on easily over boots... so the thigh straps click in.
Fit is very important around the waist as you'll want enough on the belt to loop back through again... so maybe it should have about 150mm surplus. I would try them on first.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Second Arno's recommendation of Cilao harness - awesome bits of kit - ideal for ski touring where you are unlikely to 'use' it very often.
Same thoughts regarding 'poons & axe - have some super lightweight Alu 'poons and a featherweight axe and they're great for some things but have had some hairy moments teetering about on blue ice feeling somewhat insecure on them as well. Definitely worth going a bit heavier from a 'safety'point of view...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Definitely try the harness on before hand: wear your boots and ski gear to see how easy it is to put on while kitted up. You don't really need to hang test it as this is unlikely to be a regular occurrence on skis and as Arno, says your clothing will provide the padding that is absent in the lightweight alpine harnesses. How do the leg loops attach on the super couloir? I couldn't work it out from the needlesports site: it says they go on easily but aren't adjustable. I have a DMM Alpine that I used to learn to rock climb in (swapped it for something with more padding and gear loops) which is fully adjustable but looking at the super couloir it appears to be a better all rounder if it fits well.

Crampons: go for some C2's and take your boot to check the fit. I'd avoid the ultralights for the reasons above, they can fall down on the ground you most need them) but you definately don't want a super techy Rambo or anything like that. If you find yourself on that sort of ground you're probably in the wrong place/sport!! The G12 would be a good choice IMO. Make sure you put anti-bots on them although I've found that homemade cardboard and gaffer tape ones work just as well as those on sale and you don't get annoyed when they get trashed on rock. I last made some 3 seasons ago and got some proper antibots when I lent the crampons to a mate. I haven't had to change the DIY ones yet!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Topsmoke, If you're going somewhere where you'll need cramps, you probably want touring boots too. I have an old DMM alpine harness - comfy and works great. Lots of asjustment allows you to add and remove layers of clothing.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi all,

Thanks for the advice ,
Went for the Cilao OZ 22 Expert Harness in the end after the advice received ,cheers.

Still yet to decide on a crapmon but DMM Gladiators or the G12 are top of the list.

I dont reckon im gonna need touring boots just yet,My Langes with all the buckles undone are super comfy to tour in,so if I can get a crampon to fit too I think this will be good enough.

Regards Mark
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
in general crampons don't fit quite as snugly on alpine boots as on touring boots so i'd definitely recommend trying before you buy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm resurrecting this old thread because I still can't decide on crampons for ski touring.

Weight will definitely be a factor as I'll be carrying a camera body and two lenses (part of the desire to tour and beyond is action/extreme photography) on top of other necessary gear.

How much can I get away with using aluminium when I will be covering friendlier terrain initially (primarily snow and ice)? It's the ice I'm concerned about, especially with current conditions in Chamonix.

I have touring boots so have already decided on autofix crampons.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Depends where you are going !
Ultra-lightweight aluminium crampons are fine for snowy ridges (Aiguille du Midi path) and frozen rounded boot-lines up couloirs.
But if you are getting into anything mixed (ie. reasonable quantities of rock) or real ice then you need something more solid.
If you are in Cham, why don't you rent some & try them out ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Initially, just some light touring to get to better snow and to take pics. So nothing more than a few hours get to where I want to go. However, I expect to encounter at least some ice, even on short tours.

What I've been unsure about is whether the lightweight ally crampons will be able to cope with some icy conditions. From what you're saying, they will be ok (frozen rounded boot-lines)?

More technical tours will come later no doubt, at which point I will get crampons for those conditions.

The last time I hired crampons in Cham, I got big old heavy steel beasties. Granted, we did cover rock and glacial ice but that was a climbing day rather than a touring day.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry, not being awkward, just want to make sure there is no confusion ...
The touring part seems irrelevant to me, although you are going to need ski crampons / harscheissen / couteaux for your touring skis. These will be determined by the bindings you have.
As regards ski boot crampons ... its hard to give you a definitive answer.
I think I would head towards the ultra-lightweight ones but accept their limitations.
ie. be prepared to wreck them, or have to turn back, if it is too much for them.
I've got these ...
http://www.camp-usa.com/products/crampons/xlc-390.asp
If you expect to use an ice axe on your chosen route, then you need proper crampons
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks, that's exactly the info I was looking for.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy