Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots causing pain at the start of each day's skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from 7 days skiing in Serre Chevalier, using my relatively new boots which I bought in L2A last year, and which I'd previously skied in about, ooh, 15 hours total. I have fairly weird feet and am very knock kneed, I have custom footbeds - which I don't know the make of, but making them involved me standing on some weird vacuum suction thing so they're made from a mould of my feet. The boots feel comfortable when I put them on, and they're fine to walk in, but the first ski of the day, every day, ended up with me in agony. After about half an hour I was fine and could ski in the boots all day, and did, every day until about 5pm, so a good few hours skiing.

So, what can be causing this pain, in the soles of my feet, at the start of each day? Is this common? Is it something I'm going to have to live with? Or do I need the boots tweaking, somehow? Or are they just not worn in enough yet?

Any help appreciated!

Jon.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jonm, I'm sure a knowledgeable bootfitter will be along in a moment to help you define what's happening to your feet. Do you do your boots up fully for the 1st run of the day?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jonm, I get the same thing, CEM told me it's something to do with the bones that form the arch of the foot. He recommended Calf stretches, which also do some good for the way the bones are held together in the Foot. I do the stretch routine and also do it just before I put my Boots on, which he also recommended to me. So far, so good, only get a small amount of discomfort, which either goes away by itself or if I stop and take my Boots off, quick rub of my feet, boots back on and they're fine for the rest of the day.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowbunny, yeah I do the boots up fully, I tried skiing with them done up more loosely but the problem was still there.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spyderman, interesting - thanks. At the risk of sounding stupid - what is/how do I do a calf stretch?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jonm, go to www.solutions4feet.com/cp7.php there is a stretch plan on there with 2 calf stretches in it gastrocnemius [long muscle] and soleus [short muscle]
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CEM, What was the name of the thing in my arch, that you tried to manipulate?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman, Hamster? Oh Arch. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CEM, thanks.

SMALLZOOKEEPER, lol Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spyderman, you appeared to be tight in both the plantar fascia and your cuboid was under the impression thast it didn't want to stay where it should
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I get this too. A bit less now. I found it was fine skiing in the evening at the dryslope but hurt when skiing in the mornings. I put it down to my feet still being asleep and not yet stretched and ready for some action. As soon as you've got past the hurty bit you can go all day. Deffinately a stretching think I reckon.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
krekeg, certainly with problems of the plantar fascia any swelling caused by inflammation tends to get pushed out as you walk, after a prolonged period of not walking fluid can gather in the sole of the foot and the first steps of the day are most painful until the fluid is pushed out of the plantar surface by the action of walking. Don't know if any of that relates to skiing Confused
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
so instructors having their poor punter beginners jogging on the spot before their lessons does actually work!
I actually have this problem too - discomfort for an hour or so - sometimes to the point of pain and constantly adjusting buckles, but by mid morning i can usually clamp down tightly and go for it for the rest of the day. must try a few stretches!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jonm, thanks for asking the question. I get this with one pair of boots really badly and another pair, which are softer, a bit but less so. I was ready to give up on my stiff boots but the advice you've garnered has given me hope.

Thanks CEM and Spyderman too Cool
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CEM, Cuboid, that's the bit, I couldn't remember. Stretches work though. Having being told what it is and what causes it really helps. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy