Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Daft question about socks!

Poster: A snowHead
Hiya, I know it's a daft question. My new boots from CEM are mighty snug so I'm thinking I may try some really thin, lightweight socks. I currently have Thorlo's the normal and the silk/wool mix ones.
Can anyone recommend a brand which are good thermally (sp) and thin. Would silk ones be any good and if so any websites or makes recommended?
Ta.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We use the Smartwool ones - very comfortable, range of weights, but the thin ones are very comfortable. I've also used the Falke ones, but they aren't as comfortable for me as Smartwool.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I like the Falke ones - never tried smartwool.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another vote for Smartwool.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Minx I bought a couple of pairs of the Salomon race ones they where selling in TK Maxx this year adn after a week on snow went back and bought about 10 pairs found them so comy and warm happy shopping Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I like Falke too. One of each pair has 'L' on it and the other and 'R', so provided you get someone to tell you which is which first thing in the morning, you have an easy way of checking throughout the day. For example, friends say 'We'll meet you in the pub just to the left, not to the right, of the lift.'. Hmm, a tricky one, but with Falkes, just whip a boot off and bingo! Plus, they're comfy. Not sure that I've tried smartwool, but if they don't have built in sat nav like Falkes do, I'm not interested.

I have bought my Falkes in UK. Presumably in France they have 'G' and 'D' on them, and in Germany, 'L' and 'R'. So long as the German for 'L' and 'R' are the same as the English, we could buy our ski socks in Germany, Austria or parts of Switzerland.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 26-02-08 16:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Smart wool - or if they are really tight, pop socks Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ordhan, I had Salomon socks. Despite washing them according to instructions they all shrunk to the size of a small child's sock after one wash. I guess they've improved since then (3 years ago).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
smartwool may not be as easy to find next season, distrubution has changed to Timberland who own the brand and so far all i have heard is about independants dropping the brand as their service is very slow compared to the last distributor...they have also put the prices up on all their socks

the new brand to look out for is Teko... it will be available soon Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Daft reply about socks :-

A poster called 'minx' should only wear red and black-hooped socks from an approved 'Beano' supplier. Socks may also be borrowed from 'Dennis The Menace'

I have Swiss-bought Falkes,also with 'L' & 'R' on them. Unfortunately, the they do not offer black and red hoops.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Latchigo I have a coouple of pairs of those Flakes great to ski in but one or two pairs have gone a bit bally on me after 2 washes Shocked But the other 2 pairs are fine Very Happy Docs quid are you sure you went back to the same washing machine Toofy Grin Guess its one of those things but they are cheap in TK Maxx so if they do shrink it wont be so bad Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
S+R used to sell Alpaca sock or what's that name... Very thin but warm. Great sock.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have been using the Smartwool thin sock since boots were fitted with them at the boot clinic. On a recent trip I ran out of clean Smartwool so used a thin pair I had brought from TK Maxx which I thought seem about the same thickness, they really made the boots feel too tight and I spent the day having to release clips to get feeling back in feet, next day went back to Smartwool no problems with boot fit.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another vote for Smartwool.

CEM,
Quote:
the new brand to look out for is Teko... it will be available soon

I shall look forward to the review samples. wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman, shame all my samples are in large rather than medium Toofy Grin
snow report
Ordhan wrote:
Minx I bought a couple of pairs of the Salomon race ones they where selling in TK Maxx this year adn after a week on snow went back and bought about 10 pairs found them so comy and warm happy shopping Very Happy

Did you get the ones with Left and Right sown into them? Something else to worry about on holiday Sad
snow conditions
CEM wrote:

I'm sure Kitty can shrink them.
snow conditions
Spyderman, not so sure...we have had them boil washed with no sucess rolling eyes
latest report
Latchigo, I do actually have some black and red ones Laughing
Think they are Smartwool - quite thick though and I find them a bit itchy Shocked

I'll send Dennis a message to see if I can borrow his.

Thanks all will do a bit of looking round here if nothing is suitable I'll wait till I get on my hols.
snow conditions
CEM wrote:
Spyderman, not so sure...we have had them boil washed with no sucess rolling eyes

Kitty will manage it believe me. Laughing
snow conditions
I bought Lidls ski socks (not the snowboarding! ones). I have to say that I was far more impressed than I expected to be. Dry warm feet not sweaty and yucky all week (not the same pair all week you understand - one new pair each day) and they were a great length and didn't 'fall down'. For the small amount of cash paid they were an excellent buy and I would recommend them to everyone that is an average one week a year or similar skier and they would probably do for more serious use too. N.B. they are also marked left and right!!
latest report
The thinnest ones I have a pair of Bridgedale superlights which I got in TK Maxx. I have smartwool light ones as well but they look thick next to the bridgedales, I've seen Bridgdale in Nevis Sport.
snow conditions
Megamum, can't you tell your left from your right without Lidl's assistance then? Laughing
ski holidays
I take socks very seriously. If you are having you boots heat-fitted and all that, then you want your socks right. I have a clean pair every day, as I think they compress. I also start the week with my thinnest socks (Salomons) and work up to the thicker X-socks by the end of the week. This may sound nerdishly obsessive (and probably is) but I have no foot or boot troubles at all. If your feet are right, then you are comfortable.

snowHead
latest report
Chris Bish, you think you are obsessive... i used to have to give a 3 hour lecture on sock fibres and construction [yawning smilie]
ski holidays
CEM, Where do we queue?

Laughing

snowHead
snow report
Chris Bish, you really do need to get out more wink
snow conditions
CEM wrote:
[b]....i used to have to give a 3 hour lecture on sock fibres and construction [yawning smilie]

3 hours Shocked. 10 mins was bad enough last week wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another vote for Smartwool - used the racing light cushion this year and been impressed with them.
ski holidays
I like the Falke thin ones, bought another pair whilst in France last week as the two pairs I was rotating between were starting to get a bit minging Toofy Grin
latest report
jonm, swapping L & R over mid week does not count as having 2 pairs rolling eyes
ski holidays
I'm usually so hungover in the morning I have to have an F& a B on mine. Not sure what the German for front and back is so have to buy mine in England.
ski holidays
My sister-in-law had a pair with "Boots next" written on them for just such circumstances. Seemed to work OK.

snowHead
snow report
Quote:

but with Falkes, just whip a boot off and bingo

richmond, I'm not too sure about that. If you were looking in the wrong direction to start with, your socks could lead you badly astray. wink
ski holidays
CEM wrote:
Chris Bish, you think you are obsessive... i used to have to give a 3 hour lecture on sock fibres and construction [yawning smilie]

So that's where the term "Sweaty Sock" came from. wink
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

but with Falkes, just whip a boot off and bingo

richmond, I'm not too sure about that. If you were looking in the wrong direction to start with, your socks could lead you badly astray. wink

Good point. There's obviously a market for magnetic socks. Actually, Falkes do work. You arrive at, in this case, the lift, whip off the boot, decide which is the correct pub, go in, look for your mates. If they're not there, you go in the other pub, and there they are. Job done!
latest report
CEM wrote:

Large?
Would they fit a size 10 foot?
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, You don't qualify for freebies. wink
ski holidays
sorry boys all the ones i ahve just now are packed ready to go on friday Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I'm a size 7!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy