Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Samoens / le grand massif - do I need a snow dance....?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to samoens in march and am stressing that the snow will be poor. last year was unimaginably bad during feb and wonder whether anoyone has some positive thoughts or helpful snow dances etc....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shaggyjim, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead

Read this thread (or at least the last week of it) and you'll feel better. It's looking quite good for colder weather and some snow; but it will be some days yet before the picture is clearer.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31806&start=1240
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shaggyjim, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead

Have a look (and join in...) at this thread..... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=34178&highlight=

If you search on Samoens or Grand Massif you'll find a few snowHead 's here who are big fans of GM.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
shaggyjim, Welcome,

Don't get stressed Madeye-Smiley - even last week after 2 weeks of sun above 1600m was fine - just the lower slopes a bit thin and slushy in the afrternoon. Last year Feb was worse but they had good snow after this. You can ski the GM well into April normally. Hopefully a some fresh stuff will fall before you go but even if it doesn't there will still be plenty in the Flaine bowl.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, Yuo are very cruel, pointing shaggyjim at the page with that picture of Chemmy on it. I am trying to stop looking at it and am down to less than one peek per hour.

And if that wasn't enough, he's also going to become obsessed with "wigglies" too!

wink snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I wouldn't stress too much, we're off to Les Carroz on the 9th March and I just keep putting it into perspective. Went last Jan and it was really bad, only 35cm on the upper slopes compared to (I think) about 200cm now. We still had a fab time and skiied the entire day, every day. We also skiied into Samoens a couple of days, there are some lovely runs. The last 2 days though we headed to Flaine and it was great there so that's always an option. I checked the Les Carroz webcam yesterday and there were still people skiing down the Timalet to the village which was completely closed when we were there last year.

However, it's looking good for next week cross fingers, a bit of new stuff and lower temps should freshen things up a bit (I'm a bit wiggly obsessed too!).

Have a fab time, I love the GM Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Going to Samoens Sunday 2nd - praying for no rain, some sun and snow at night only would be nice
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SAMOENS: I will have an upto date report within 72 hrs.......brother and his family are returning on Sunday. However, forecasts are sketchy for next week, so its worth checking out the 'snow reports' section for Carled's spectacular weather reporting.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bring your skis and the snow will come.

Cool
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
shaggyjim,It's OK. My sons going next Saturday (9th) and he'll be met by 2ft of new snow and then I'll be there the following week in the sun. Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
what a response from you all! Shocked

i'd be grateful for any info all of you have about the conditions. I'm taking a bunch of beginners and I'm worried, as ever, that they're going to learn on sheet ice with grass poking through!

regards

shaggyjim
Cool
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I'm worried, as ever, that they're going to learn on sheet ice with grass poking through!

shaggyjim, that's extremely unlikely - the ski school will know where to take them and they'll have a great time. They'd probably be a lot happier in bright sun on thin snow than in a blizzard with it dumping around them, actually.

I 've only been to Samoens in summer, but my daughter was in Flaine the week before last and all the higher areas are fine. The base is still good for a while, even if there is no new snow. And there will almost certainly be new snow, though as ever, nobody knows how much. But of course Samoens is very low, so you can't necessarily expect white surroundings in the village itself. It's an interesting place, though, with a lot more character than Flaine itself.

Keep watching the weather thread. And yes, a bit of dancing would not go amiss. snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OK update from brother's wife. Weather very disappointing last week. Raining in the village (heavy, driving rain) and conditions quite miserable in Samoens.....but still skied every day, had to go high though. As they were leaving the reps did say that the weather forecast for this week and next is excellent with big dumps of the much needed white stuff forecast... so if you are going Saturday should be excellent.

Fx
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samoens is at 700m. You can't reasonably expect it to be snowy very often at that kind of altitude. 1000m is normally around the base of most ski domains in the area. But did driving rain in Samoens mean driving snow up higher? Depends on the temperatures, I suppose, it's been stupidly warm for a bit. But about to change....

Nobody, but nobody, knows there are going to be "big dumps" even the following week, let alone the week after, though.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Do you think the reps were winding them up then Pam??????? wink my brother wasnt too amused, specially as they were on the coach coming home.

snowHead snowHead

although, I would argue that the weather forecasts are looking pretty close to what Carled has been predicting for the past week or two. Lets see how much actually falls in the next 48 hrs!
snow conditions
Quote:
Do you think the reps were winding them up then Pam??????? wink my brother wasnt too amused, specially as they were on the coach coming home.

It seems a bit cruel, when people are on their way home from a slushy week. But whatever their motive, they cannot be relied upon for a weather forecast 10 days hence. There is a big change on the way, but as our experts keep saying, predicting how much snow will fall, even the following day, is very difficult and there are likely to be big local variations. Our apartment is on one side of a modest (2000m) mountain. The main resort is on the other and the weather is often very different, on both sides.
snow report
I remember arriving in Chiesa in Italy to a completely green and pleasant landscape many moons ago...... which was most disconcerting. It was my first ski holiday with the hubby and I so wanted the alpine snow scene you see on the choccie box.... what I didnt appreciate was the mountain height... I remember cresting the top in the gondola and taking such a sharp intake of breath at the whiteness that was all around me......

I've never really bothered with 'village' reports since then...... unless we particularly book ski to door, then I get mighty P*ssed off if its not in abundance when we arrive...

mind u, again, we arrived in Obertaurn to empty roads and tarmac and awoke to about 2ft of fresh powder....and no cars to be seen!!!! they were all completely buried!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy