Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice needed: Sella Ronda, mid march

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Some friends have asked for my advice regarding a ski vacation in mid march, in the town of Campitello, part of Val di Fassa. Having no experiece in the Dolomites, I would be happy to receive some tips from snowheads about the area. Specifically:

1. Webcams show that Campitello and Canazei are completely browned out now. It seems improbable that this will change in a couple of weeks, but I'd be happy to stand corrected.
2. Looking at the ski maps, I get the impression that a person staying in Campitello would need a good half hour in the morning to actually set foot on skiable snow. What is your experience?
3. Sella Ronda in mid march - how good a bet is it for good snow?
4. Any other angles are naturally most welcome.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. While the surrounds may be brown, the dolomiti superski area generally has some of the best snowmaking there is, and the odds are that the pistes will all be covered (they have 100% coverage of the Sella Ronda, over 95% coverage of all pistes).

2. No. When I was there (January 2006), it took me less than 5 minutes (walking in ski boots) from my hotel to the cable car, and another 5 minutes in the cable car. If you hit it at the wrong time, there could be a 10 minute queue for the cable car - I'm not sure hwo different that would be in March. You can put your skis on within a few yards of getting out of the cable car.

3. Generally as good as anywhere in the general Tyrol/Sudtyrol areas.

4. Look around here for various other threads on the area generally.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dfl, the "brown" conditions at the moment are because there's been no new snow for some weeks, and it's been fairly warm. Sounds obvious, but it's not because it's "late". There's just as likely to be snow in mid March as there is in mid January - in fact, probably more likely. Looking at the forecasts, and although it's too far ahead to be 100% sure, it will be extremely cold and snowy in early March in that area (and many others in the Alps, thank goodness.) snowHead Mid March is still pretty high season. It's an area I've visited, but only briefly, and where I've always wanted to ski but because I have an apartment in France, I am not likely to do so now. It's beautiful.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy