Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Survived trip to Austria with 43 pupils- no thanks to tour operator!!!!!!!!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
I'm not sure if I'm really allowed to write rude things about a tour operator!!! But ours was rubbish. They are based in Brighton. If you know what it's like to plan a ski trip, all the risk assessments, the aggro, the joy you will know how it feels to be repeatedly let down. Even before we left they could not advise me of what our evening activities were and so I couln't make risk assessments and had our big cheese at County Hall threatening to pull the trip without them. The rooming list also arrived 3 hours before we left.I just want to moan about a few things because I would really hate for anyone to use this hopeless company and end up with the same problems as us! Firstly they changed our pick up time so that we left at 11pm at night, we had 43 12-16 yr old on a ferry at 2.25-4am with no shops/cafes open. Going over the coach company did not have a 100km sticker so we travelled through Germany at snail's pace, we were stopped by customs in Munich and as the company did not have the correct paperwork we were fined- well the coach company were but I had to pay it as they didn't have any money, oh I also had to pay 440 euros for fuel because their credit card pin didn't work! The hotel was poor. This is my 4th ski trip and I have never been asked to share one room with 5 female teachers sleeping in bunkbeds- it was like doing a black run every morning! Still there was a boys room for 12 next door to us. The food was indifferent, the hotel did not know that there were 6 veggies for the first 3 days so they just ate what they could, nor did they know there was a nut allergy although the tour company should have told them. As we were sharing with another group- a different provider, they had arrived before us and had booked ALL entertaiments and food before us. This basically meant that we ate after them every night and every night there wasn't enough food and we had to go and ask for more!! The tour company booked a bowling evening- 2 lanes for 50 people so we decided to not even bother. We had the local reps in who promised faithfully that they would amend the situation but went back to the UK that night! The upshot of this was that we had REALLY poor food ever after and got locked out of the boot room every day- all 50 of us in the freezing cold! The day we left we had 3 rooms for 50 pupils to get showered and of course because the other group got there first the showers had already been used by 70 people before us- nice! and nice and cold! Oh not forgetting the coach drivers. They had a single room with 2 beds in so they couldn't even pass between them, everyday they looked worse and worse and told us that they were having no sleep- this was a REAL health and safety risk and again the company ignored it totally. We stayed in Aurach near Kitzbuehel- try and avoid our Pension if you can it was like a cross between rising damp and fawlty towers. The only fab things were what the company did NOT touch. Weather -fab, all 43 kids-fab ski instructors(schischule Aurach) the best we have ever had!!! Please think long and hard about using this provider because they really do not care, they will fobb you off with anything!!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi schatzi

I'm leading a school trip to Les Menuires in 4 weeks time with a Brighton-based tour operator, and already planning the next one for December 2008 with the same company-SkiPlan. Mind you, they all seem to be based in Brighton...so it's hard to judge who you're talking about! The only other company I have recently used in that neck of the woods is EquitySki and they were fantastic on both occasions we've been with them.
So.....how about dishing the dirt?? Have I already named them, or it is someone else?

Cheers.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
schatzi, welcome to Snowheads. I hope you feel better having got that off your chest. It sounds absolutely grim - you haven't named and shamed, though? You must have been proud of your kids. snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are commenting on your own experiences, rather than re-telling third-hand what happened to someone else, I see no problem in naming companies that have provided a poor service. You may also wish to draw their attention to this thread so they can respond publicly to your comments. Sounds like you had a rotten time, to say the least.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
schatzi, oh that does sound rough. I would sue the back bottom out of them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
schatzi, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Sorry to hear about your trip....sounds like a bit of a nightmare. School trips have so much potential to go wrong, ad my experience is that there is always something not quite right, but to get all those things Sad

Not sure which company you used, but PGL have a happy customer whos posted here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=869790#869790
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Schatzi

1st of all welcome to Snowheads.

I would bet money that the company you booked through was S** B****. Am I right let me know.

1st of all if it is this company you pays for what you gets !!, and if it is them they specialize in school trips and you are not going to get the Ritz. On my 1st ski holidays over 30 years ago which were with the school we slept 8 to a dorm with a shower and a basin in the corner of the room and it didn't put me off skiing.

If it is this company, I go on a trip every year (this year was my 3rd) with this company and about 80 of us (Adults Only) take the hotel over and we have a superb time, but I would not take the wife, due to the accomadation she does not do 'roughing it'

Last years trip was to Tignes and the manager thought he was still talking to the kids who had just vacated. After a few of us quite firmly but fairly put him in his place, we no longer had any problems. This years trip was to ADH and the manager and staff were superb, maybe they had been forewarned.

Can see how they wouldn't cope with a hotel full of kids though, 90% of the staff are no more than kids themselves.

Let me know if I am right wink .
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kel, I went on an enjoyable trip with Ski Bound to tignes this season. It was good value IMHO
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Our plan B for December was also SkiBound-to either their Tignes 2100 hotel or Vieux Village hotel in Val d'Isere. Didn't go with them in the end because I didn't like what I'd heard/read about either hotel, and other staff had warned me about their admin!
But until Schatzi gets back, we're only guessing.....!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 25-02-08 23:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman

Yes I've been on 3 and am booked on my 4th for Les Menuires next year. As I said ours was Tignes last year, so presume you went to Club Hotel 2100 as I did.

But I can't help thinking that someone who isn't used to the French shoe box sized rooms would be VERY disapointed.

The group previously went with equity, but the organizer changed to Ski Bound as Equity were becoming too expensive, personally I would prefer to pay the extra but you have to go with the flow unless you want to organize the trip yourself Sad Sad .

As I said you gets what you pay for, would still like to know if it is Ski Bound though now you have named them Razz .

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 25-02-08 23:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Come on Schatzi, spill the beans.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
schatzi, hey, you got a free trip didn't you? wink Name & shame or there's no point.

Quote:

As I said you gets what you pay for
Kel, not in the case of school skiing. IMO kids' parents have been paying well over the odds forever. Schools need to show a bit more nous and go indy.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller

I am refering to Ski Bound not school trips in general. But whilst were on the subject the reason why school trips are so expensive is because you are not only paying for your child you are paying for the Teachers as well.

My kids never went on them we could usually get a late deal for a family of 4, for the cost of sending them both. So you could say that me and the Missus got to ski for free instead of schatzi and her colleagues Razz Razz .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kel, yes you're paying for one in eight which ups the cost (in theory) by 12.5% but it's far far more expensive than it need be given the sub-standard accom & travel arrangements. Dare I say this?... it used to be suggested that there were lots of brown paper envelopes involved in securing school bookings. Does that go on? A myth?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
schatzi, it must be really frustrating that your FREE ALL EXPENCES PAID trip didn't go acording to plan. Twisted Evil

Quote:

I would really hate for anyone to use this hopeless company and end up with the same problems as us!

Then tell us who it was !!!!
latest report
Kel, yes, yes & yes Very Happy Bode Swiller, I think the cost for the kids at hotel 2100 in Tignes was £600.
This was ALL in & included:
Lift pass
6 full days ski school
7 days full board
Gear hire
Insurance
Evening entertainment

Good value IMHO
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, coach or plane?
snow conditions
I was full of admiration for the teachers in our hotel. A freebie?
NO WAY
Oh & the kids were great too.
snow conditions
Plane from a local airport to Grenoble, then coach Very Happy
ski holidays
Odin, maybe some teachers on school trips are loafing, but many - maybe most - are working hard, for up to 24 hours a day, to make sure the kids get a good holiday. Some school trips seem ludicrously expensive but others keep prices down and give priority to kids who have not skied before, because their family don't, or can't, take them skiing. It's no wonder some teachers have given up on extra-curricular activities if your reaction is typical.
latest report
Would any snowHead have swapped places withschatzi, ?
Thought not.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, OK, £599.98 not too bad.

Kids have it way too cushy these days. When I first went we had three to a bed and our masters thrashed us to sleep with their belts... these days I pay extra for that.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman

Ski Bound prices for ADULTS albeit for a group of 80 and our leader does not rip us off

inclusive of :

Flights
Transfers
insurance
lift pass
ski carriage
FULL Board
Lessons if you want them £40
Ski & boot hire if you want it £40 (supplement for superior skis) although most have there own gear

2006 Serre Chevalier £ can't remember
2007 Tignes £530
2008 ADH £580
2009 Les Menuires £605 + £50 if you want full area for 3V (so thats £655)

IMHO very good value and the best crack I have all year. But not forgetting the Beer tokens which can amount to nearly as much as I will spend on a family bash Razz Razz .
latest report
Kel, great value, but i do prefer our family/group chalet holidays Cool
snow conditions
We don't even know if schatzi went with Ski Bound, it was only an assumption !!!!.

its time she named whoever it was then I can go to bed Mad .
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Kel, great value, but i do prefer our family/group chalet holidays Cool

Yes I know what you mean, I miss not seeing the kids kicking my fat ass. and would much sooner share a bedroom with the Missus than 3 hairy arsed 40 something pot bellied wanna be's. But this is 1 of 3 trips I go on every year and the other 2 are family. I would not miss it never, the highlight of my winter calendar Razz .
ski holidays
Kel, maybe Schatzi is a feller, who had to share a room with 5 female teachers? That's why it was like doing a black run every morning.
ski holidays
pam w
maybe but she has turned in early tonight and left us saddo's posting on her behalf NehNeh NehNeh .
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kel wrote:
3 hairy arsed 40 something pot bellied wanna be's.
You were in our room?

You should try the EoSB Very Happy
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Kel wrote:
3 hairy arsed 40 something pot bellied wanna be's.
You were in our room?

You should try the EoSB Very Happy

Maybe next year can't see Mrs Kel allowing me this year. I will have to work on her, 4 trips in one year Shocked Shocked .

She will be wanting a carribean cruise if I can fit this into the budget Laughing Laughing .
latest report
Quote:

IMO kids' parents have been paying well over the odds forever. Schools need to show a bit more nous and go indy.

£700 to £800 for:
- travel
- full board accommodation, choice of hot or packed lunch
- six days ski pass
- daily four-hour lesson for six days
- equipment hire
- full evening ents programme
- 24-hour supervision

What do you want, blood?

Independent is all very well, but consider being stuck at an airport with 80 kids and having Ryanair tell you that they're sorry about the strike, here's your money back, goodbye.
latest report
A group that I went with paid around the £600 mark and stayed in a very nice hotel. As Lizzard details above, I think that if you look at most ski trips, to get full board accommodation (most kids were sharing 3 to a room, no bunks), good quality equipment hire, 4 hrs a day of lessons plus evening ents, oh and 24/7 supervision including a teacher having to do the hospital trips.........

I honestly don't think that it is a rip off. And yes.....most of the teachers have to work hard. even when they're not running around after kids, just being responsible for 40 teenagers in a dangerous environment is worth a bit of free skiing.

Odin, you tell me that the teachers on the trip where that young lad died last week were "enjoying a freebie". I think not rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

What do you want, blood?
of course.
snow conditions
Hi it's schatzi! Sorry didn't realise my comments would be so interesting to others so went off to bed. I would like to say that a/ I am not a man!! b/ I am a modern language teacher c/ These people (Odin)who say you're getting a "free" holiday really get on my thrupnnies! There is NO such thing as a free holiday especially with 43 teenagers!! I wasn't quite sure how to work this page to reply but funny how so many of you guessed right it was Skibounders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really don't expect luxury but it was my 26th school trip in 15 years so I do not what to expect and what is/isn't ok. Best bit was the skiing, slightly slushy in the afternoons but lovely powder in the mornings, wonderful Alpenhaus restaurant and some fab instructors, it was the first time I was really pushed to ski. They were also quite nice to look at.
Thanks for all your comments- you really cheered me up!
Still never going with skibound again though! I am off to write rude letters to them although I don't know why because I am certain that they don't care!
ski holidays
schatzi, they are part of TUI these days, so no, they probably don't care. Laughing
snow report
Hi Lizzard! How do you know these things??What is TUI is it Thompson group?
ski holidays
Anyway guys, I am going to start planning next ski trip this week I do this because I really love skiing and I love taking kids who have never been before because they get so much out of it. Also I can bribe them to take a language this way if I didn't I think we would have virtually no males taking French or German and I would be doomed to a life of teaching PSHE.
If anyone can recommend someone good that they have used before I would be so gratefu and if anyone knows of somewhere nice in Kitzbuehel to stay that would be good too.

Anyhow Lizzard how come you're sitting in the French alpa and I'm in East Sussex. Hmmmmm
ski holidays
schatzi, I am sure you will get somewhere. They are a big school provider and you could get a long way with your complaint. Ski Bopund were part of First Choice, whicjh is now part of TUI (Thomson, Crystal etc).

Do keep us informed.
snow report
Quote:
TUI Travel - A Giant Of The European Travel IndustryTUI AG (Touristik Union International) is a large international company based in Germany. The well known TUI ‘smile’ logo is used to represent a number of companies including the popular UK tour operator Thomson Holidays. The recently formed TUI Travel PLC was created through the merger of First Choice Holidays PLC and the tourism division of TUI AG. TUI Travel consists of over 80 Tour Operators in countries all over Europe, and has around 155 aircraft. In addition TUI AG also has a number of airlines, Cruise ships, retail stores, and container ships.

There are approximately 3,600 travel retail outlets in the TUI group and over one hundred TUI AG owned airlines serving 180 destinations worldwide, making TUI the largest holiday fleet in Europe. TUI Hotels and Resorts is also the biggest hotelier in Europe and owns 12 holiday brands in 30 countries. Altogether TUI Hotels and Resorts consists of around 285 hotels and over 160,000 beds. TUI acquired the Hapag-Lloyd shipping company in 1998 and is one of the largest shipping companies in the world.

Why Kitzbühel?
snow conditions
Blimey thanks for that DB you know your stuff and Frosty I am going to moan my skiboots off on this one and I will let you know of course.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy