Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stressed - ski holiday this weekend

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for a ski holiday for this weekend. Had to leave it late as expensive, then realised that I need medical permission to ski to be covered for insurance - stupid wrist! Can't get that until tomorrow as Drs unavailable!

Can't find anywhere that would please my OH, who wants a big name high French resort with lots of descent and lots of blacks for no too much money. There are plenty of suitable deals on skiline if we had a CHILD - but you have to have a child, and I don't want one, they smell (among other issues).

Any ideas?

Ta

R
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
try this site www.bookableski.co.uk
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Randomsabreur, we have availability in chalet Le Mouflon, La Rosiere 1850, there are cheap flights from Bristol with Easyjet and we're offering a free six day Espace San Benardo lift pass with every adult booking. Details on www.tracksvacations.com or email us at info@tracksvacations.com for more information. Lots of snow and more forecast for this week.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having issues selling la Rosiere to OH - hints and tips? I've been looking at your website, and I like the look of it, but have to convince OH. I've not skied with him before, but I understand he prefers blacks, is happy on ice etc. How can I convince him that La Rosiere is good - as the highest lifts are low compared with Tignes, 3Vs etc.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Randomsabreur, You'll be fine staying in La Ros - you can just take a bus to Sainte Foy every morning wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My OH has good reason not to want to spend time on a bus with me, particularly not one up and down a mountain road... I have previous, and he only has 1 ski jacket and pair of ski trousers. The previous was not alcohol related...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Randomsabreur, not sure that he would find La Rosiere's skiing challenging enough to be honest.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Randomsabreur, just have a look at the percentage of blacks and there are a few in La Thuile which are as steep as anywhere in the Alps, pistas 2 & 3 with 77% pitches and they're usually icy. La Rosiere is not Tignes nor do we want it to be, you could save enough on your lift pass to pay for heli-skiing which you can't get in Tignes.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Randomsabreur, Would second Helen Beaumont, The off piste is an attraction at La Rosiere for the advanced skier as it gets tracked out less quickly. Most of the reds are fairly tame, but there are some PROPER blacks leading down to La Thuile.

However, I put the phrases "who wants a big name high French resort with lots of descent and lots of blacks" and "for not too much money" into the ski computer, and the computer says NO Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was getting that impression!

I'd be fine anywhere with low intermediate. Problem is he's managed to get good deals last minute the last two years (not sure re dates - he picked the week this time) This year - nothing!

How about snow sure, decent descent and interesting blacks and reds to keep him busy in the mornings when I'm doing ski school.

More chances?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Randomsabreur, La Rosiere is very snow-sure, it's consistently among the top 5 French resorts for snow cover and this season is no exception. You'll find the Ski Club's historical snow record on our website and some comments from 'Where to ski and snowboard' there are lots of interesting reds that will keep any intermediate happy. We had some guests recently who had only ever skied in the Espace Killy and they couldn't believe how good the skiing is or how long the runs are, from the top of Roches Noire to Les Ecudets via Tetras and Fontaine Froide is a 1.4kms vertical descent. As FTS comments there is some very good and very accessible off-piste in the area but like everywhere you do need a guide to get the best value from your lift pass.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can echo David@traxvax, - also given that i ski'd la ros last week whilst staying in his excellent chalet i'd be more than happy to recommend the resort and chalet mouflon. Pistas 2 and 3 certainly sort the men out from the boys and i've personally never seen anything as steep or icy! Randomsabreur, feel free to PM me if you'd like bang up-to-date impression of La Ros (and just as importantly from a skiing perspective) the surrounding connected areas.

Ian
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Right, will try and convince OH this PM, drs tomorrow am (that I am fit to ski!)! AARGH - so much stress!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Randomsabreur, I will say that I own nothing in La Ros nor blah, blah, blah....

A friend of ours who is a very experienced skier went to La Ros first week of Jan for the 1st time and she said it was good. She would happily go back again if the deal was right. They did take one day out and go to Tignes I think but apart from that she had a great week in La Ros and La Thuile? Confused snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd go along with the recommendations for La Rosiere. It is a lovely resort, beautiful views, lovely snow, friendly people....

As for challenging skiing - well, although Mr DS is not typical of people who've been skiing for 30 years in that he is quite content to ski the same slope all day, just focusing on technique, and that slope could be a blue or even a green, we also like a challenge. I found Black 2 and Black 3 in La Thuile to be sufficiently challenging! There are some very, very steep sections on these blacks. We only had one powder day, but there was plenty of off-piste to be had.
latest report
Randomsabreur wrote:
There are plenty of suitable deals on skiline if we had a CHILD - but you have to have a child, and I don't want one, they smell (among other issues).

Any ideas?

R

Yes. Lie.

When you turn up at the airport, say the child got sick and had to stay home with your parents.
snow conditions
Quote:

not sure re dates - he picked the week this time

he wants a big French resort, expected a last minute bargain, and he picked to go on holiday the week of the Paris half term holidays; amongst the busiest weeks in the French Alps? Laughing
snow report
pam w, that shouldn't affect availability with Uk chalet operators though, there won't be too many French staying in those.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, no, that's true, but it must affect overall availability, and therefore price, that hotel and self catered accommodation will be in peak demand.

Given the very uncertain weather forecast for the week, a high resort would certainly seem a good idea. Randomsabreur, maybe your OH should learn to snowboard? Maybe you should learn to snowboard together, or you'll always be lagging behind on future ski hols together.

Or, another suggestion, I had a marketing email from Phil Smith's Snoworks today (snoworks.co.uk). They have vacancies on their all terrain courses in Meribel/Courchevel area 3 - 7 March. You could each do a course at your own level, and the instructors will find challenging stuff to stretch your OH. Phil Smith's courses are very well thought of, with small groups and top tuition.

Being with a ski school will also help you jump any lift queues you encounter.
ski holidays
Quote:

try this site www.bookableski.co.uk

..... but bear in mind that they tell you LIES. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
Thanks - hopefully will get clearance to go, otherwise it's all academic!

My OH has tried snowboarding, in Summer - he prefers skiing! He said he'd be happy to snowboard if there was a massive amount of powder, otherwise, not that interesting. I'm not keen on snowboarding anyway, too much sitting down unintentionally, and I saw the bruises!
snow report
Randomsabreur, have you looked at the major Tour Ops sights eg. Crystal, they have Chalets and Clubhotels available for departure on March 1st to Alpe D, Meribel, Tignes, Val etc. May be worth a look - not sure what your budget is? Have you tried last minute and iglu aswell?
Friend just got a cracking last minute deal going to Sestriere last Sun from Iglu.
Hope it works out for you.
snow conditions
Randomsabreur wrote:
My OH has tried snowboarding, in Summer - he prefers skiing!

I think if there's an ideal time to try snowboarding then outside the ski season is probably the best choice Toofy Grin
ski holidays
David@traxvax wrote:
Randomsabreur, La Rosiere is not Tignes nor do we want it to be, you could save enough on your lift pass to pay for heli-skiing which you can't get in Tignes.

Heli-skiing is available in Tignes, but you probably wouldn't need to splash the cash as we have so much off piste accessable from the lifts wink
ski holidays
Sadly Tignes doesn't have any sensibly priced accommodation this week...]

La Rosiere at least did, will have to find out later if OH can be convinced - when/if he gets home from work!
snow report
Off to La Rosiere, Chalet Mouflon, really looking forward to it! Please snow lots and lots and lots.

*Does Snow Dance*

Hopefully it will land on the alps rather than Bristol!
snow report
Randomsabreur, Enjoy snowHead
snow conditions
Randomsabreur, have a great time, don't forget to tell us about it. snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Randomsabreur, The food is stunning and the stairs are steep. snowHead
ski holidays
Randomsabreur, you'll love La Rosiere (we did), and hopefully your hubby will too.
snow report
Just back!!!!!

Had a fantastic time at Le Mouflon - food was amazing!

Resort was fab as well. The run back to the main resort (Tetras) is a wide, flowing, easyish blue, no flat bits, no risk of getting becalmed and such a confidence giver!

Snow was good, it snowed the second night/day, visibility was OK most of the time, although I really was glad for low light/all condition goggles that my OH made me buy for the last day, when the French side was stuck in a low cloud. Was surprised by how light La Rosiere is - didn't get dark until about 7, got light between 6am and 7am, yet the snow on the French side didn't seem to suffer as much.

Sunday 2nd: Depart my flat in Bristol at a leisurely 8.30. Previous day's rush from OH's house in Bristol is all forgiven - mad rush to buy new suitcase after his split, and Tescos didn't have any in stock. Ended up with mad rush to Debenhams for reduced (but still expensive) lightweight suitcase. Bus from 10 minutes down road direct to airport, cost for 2 people, £16, return. Get on board, pounce on exit row. Realise that child behind us is going to scream and kick seats throughout flight! = Normal flight for me. Arrive Geneva, follow signs to French side, locate Swissport employee to locate baggage from Swiss side, and attempt to locate transfer from Le Mouflon. Hindered for a while by inability to see large minibus with Tracks Vacations in large letters under my nose, but my OH solved the problem within seconds Embarassed Embarassed . Then off to La Rosiere, though the gathering dusk, via Annecy!

Arrived in La Rosiere, up steep winding road, seeing patches of snow on way up from valley floor - looking hopeful. Then arrive at Chalet for Raclette, the start of a week of yummy home cooked food - hopefully haven't put on too much weight!

Monday. Hire skis from chalet, head up to Centre for first look at pistes - lots of snow on pistes. Couldn't find class - instructor had clearly left early/from different meeting place. Anyway ESF arranged to put me in the 3-5pm class for the day so went off to ski with OH (who'd come back down to sort out boots - muppet didn't notice that there were insoles in the boots and added his orthotics over the top! I solved that one for him, thanks to info gathered from getting my boots fitted). Quick run down low easy (Free) Green - a bit full of kids - massive snakes as last week of Paris hols! OH was satisfied I wasn't too terrified (or terrifying), and I'd proved my ability to stop, so off we went up the main chair to Roc Noir to top of main blue back to resort, Tetras. Apart from the top, which is at least 10 metres wide, this run is about 25 metres wide, and about perfect steepness. Not too flat, not too steep, wide enough to turn on, some variation, and a dip which gives you the courage to just go straight down as you know you're going to stop at the top of the rise. At the first wide steep bit, had a go at sideslipping, which I got more or less sussed, after being stuck the previous week, then on to some turns, with skis more or less parallel, and getting more parallel as the day went on. Went up and down a few times, getting better, then time for lunch and lesson.

Lesson was OK, although light got a bit flat and I was feeling tired. First run was a bluey red (Very bluey, but very nice) then down blue (narrower and flatter) which I learned to dislike over the week. Feet also got a bit sore - toes were cramping from gripping the imaginary brake, but I kept up OK and was turning pretty parallel. Didn't really like last green, felt a bit slow and flat, particularly in a group as I don't like to overtake.

Next day, made it to morning lesson without missing instructor - arrived about 8.45 for 9am lesson. Walking in ski boots hurts, especially if I didn't do up the 3rd clip (instep one) as feet tended to crush toes against end of boot. Lesson continued on blues, reds and drag lifts. Had a big splat on beginning of drag - no idea how, suspect skis weren't properly aligned for take off. Following instructor was going OK. Started disliking two flat blues - hate skating/poling and am too much of a wuss to overtake on a 5m wide piste with a slope no more than 45 degrees to side Embarassed ! Joined up with OH for lunch, then off to play on some of the runs I'd done that morning, adding Blaireau (Red) which OH had loved that morning. Discovered that Blaireau had some incipient moguls (rare/non-existant on piste in La Rosiere) and did some of the piste bashers' work for them, smoothing out a few of them with a side slip, and then collecting some snow off the top up my jacket - mental note, next time make sure snow skirt is done up as tight as it goes!). Only the one starfish impression though, and no bruises so onwards down to the bottom of the chair for a drink while sending OH off to have some fun going fast. Then up chair (scary on skis at beginning, getting better) although standing on pole and leaving at bottom was embarassing - a kind person brought it up for me 3 chairs later! Then back to La Ros via Choucas (Flat 5-10m wide blue with some lateral bumps) Quick Tetras to regain confidence after nasty flat piste, massage toes (wretched gripping) and bus back to chalet, lemon drizzle cake and yummy dinner. Stagger to bed soon after.

Weds, lesson as normal, instructor started us off trying Godilles (no idea of English term - short/frequent turns) and some short steeper bits between pistes. Then met OH, intending to head over to Italy. Went part way, down steep Red (Bouquetins) with scary netting (meaning major cliff in my mind! but actually, when inspected on way up chair lift, clearly intended to stop mad people going straight down and landing on those below on the piste route!) Then quick run (400 yards max) to 1st of 2 long drags to Italy. Didn't fancy second drag much, so went somewhere else, ending with a choice of 2 scaryily steep looking runs, 1 red, 1 blue. Chose blue, made it down, then tripped over on easier bit later, randomly crossing skis Embarassed Had fun anyway, then back home to more food!

Thurs - lesson fine, felt a little sore, skied a couple of runs with OH. Wanted to give up and bottom of nastly flat blue from bottom of Fort to Eucherts and get Bus. OH made me go up chair than down nice friendly run (Renard into Tetras) to finish day on good note. Nice Tartiflette at bottom of Fort for lunch. OH set free to do lots of blacks (all on French side) and I had a nice long Jaccuzi with clear conscience - everyone else out skiing) then curl up with book. Then out of dinner as hosts day off. Nice Menu for 16 Euros - Salad followed by Steak Frites.

Friday - the best day. For the first time I'd managed not to operate the toe brake during my lesson, so my toes weren't all sore and tingly. Instructor started working on my finesse, telling me to keep my feet closer together (I like my feet wider apart, more stable, but less elegant) Puzzled Went to meet OH, admittedly scaring him by deciding on a loo stop and taking longer than he'd expected, and he heard of a large crash where I was coming from. Went off to Italy. Went down Bouquetins, discovered that deeper snow is interesting, and quite cold when it gets up jacket/down trousers. Spent rest of run working on lifting uphill ski and down to long drag to Italy. Endless drag lifts over (split in middle) then off to Les Suches (above La Thuile). Down nice wide blue, had lunch, bit of a stretch, then down to La Tuile its self (via cable car as only run explored by OH was narrow, steep and surrounded by trees and drops). Had a look, decided it looked ugly, particularly prison type architecture! Went back up, to top of Italian side, then down Red with max steepness of 53%, without falling (if I remember rightly) Then back down to chair lift via flat blue, and start back towards France, via Fourclaz. Fourclaz was another long steep Red (approx 50% or so in places). Quite scary but made it, can't remember if I fell, but was so proud to get down, we had a hot chocolate. This wasn't just any hot chocolate, it looked and tasted like a dark chocolate fondue with a cone of cream on top. Then, as it was getting a bit close to "Last recommended return to France" time, off up the chair lift. Suggested to OH, that a quick check of piste map would be in order. He ignored me, we went a few hundred yards down a red, then only way not towards Italy - totally wrong direction - is a BLACK!!! Choices being climb red back to lift, or very short black down to correct red, I girded my loins and decided I'd go for it. Started far left, side slip/traverse and quick turn then side slipped down and across somewhat more. Then running out of piste and courage, and got stuck, fortunately, as while contemplating next move, looking for courage, I felt something whisk behind me (apparently skis) and saw someone (not on skis) slide past me in front. OH said skier lost it well above me as was going to fast, and he was scared watching. I didn't know much. Anyway, sideslipped back a meter or two then went for a turn then made it down rest of Black without falling Very Happy Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Smile Then off back to France and home to well deserved dinner (Crab terrine, Pierrade, yummy!) Then nice early bed.

Saturday, different instructor, much more technically obsessed. I couldn't start a sideslip with left lead, he pointed out my hip position was wrong, then sorted! Really worked on technique, skis parallel etc. Then off to Fort to meet OH. Just managed to avoid having to get chairlift on own - don't like chairlifts on own - hate heights too much and met up. Off to Italy again. Lunch was a bit of a mare as OH slipped on non signed wet floor while carrying lunch and got massive bruise. Not impressed! Managed to save some lunch though, which was OK, but not close to chalet standard. Then up top to try San Bernando red down to La Thuile. Didn't enjoy too much as got scared by mad inconsiderate Italian Saturday skiiers. One nearly skied on top of me and tried to blame me - I was moving slowly and predictably down steep bit, looking for something to turn on. 30 seconds later I caught edge on turn and found myself sliding downhill head first, with skis and poles well above. Not hurt, just grumpy, so a nice man got me my skis (OH was well below and watching - as usual when I managed to fall enough to lose a ski or pole!) Eventually managed to get skis back on and down hill. Still grumpy and scared by mad Italians. Scary combination of small children at limit of their ability with other mad people at limit of theirs - pistes were a bit of an obstacle course for the slightly nervous. Anyway down gliding red piste, which is the road in summer, not too steep or narrow, just I'm unnerved by being overtaken and cut up, and on edge, so OH is snowploughing behind me, as a buffer for oncoming nutters. Made it down, quick cry in cafe, then back up and over to France. Down Blaireau (Red I kept making silly errors on - major unfinished business!) no falls, finally! Then down Les Lauzes (evil flat blue) intending to get lift from Eucherts to Tetras for final run. But had stiffened up a lot, and right leg was sore everywhere - quite glad that I didn't need it for many turns, so got bus back to Chalet for final yummy meal.

Next am - leisurely departure (for a ski hol) at 6.45, followed by long wait in GVA airport - which has no decent restaurants that we found, well not French side or Airside anyway and no shops for mere mortals who don't have a few million as pocket change. Uneventful flight home, bus back to flat and it's over, until next year, when I will not be booking late!

Sorry for endless post!

La Rosiere is great, OH enjoyed a lot, and would like to go back when a bit better and richer, to take advantage of off piste properly, with a guide/heliskiing. OH was the biggest star, he taught me about as much as the ESF instructors, and gave me so much confidence. He also got me through my irrational terror of bouncy chair lifts.

Stairs were steep, frequently negotiated sat down when I was feeling particularly sore!
ski holidays
nice report! Ref GVA airport. best food is the pizza place at the station, as facing entrance into GVA airport, it's off to your right.

regards,

Greg
snow report
Randomsabreur, I love random ranting reports like that. Glad you had a good time Very Happy

Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Randomsabreur, The food is stunning and the stairs are steep. snowHead
Told ya Toofy Grin
latest report
Randomsabreur, glad to hear you had a good time. Johnboy holds the record for speed descent of the stairs but I think he'd been trying to create a beer drought in the village!
snow conditions
David@traxvax, I am sure my wife pushes him a close 2nd Very Happy
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, I hope you were there to cushion her landing.
ski holidays
David@traxvax, No, we used a double bed wink snowHead Laughing
snow report
kitenski, I like the Swiss Chalet - sit down bit, not the self service, lovely Rosti Zurichoise (sp) and nice salads too
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy