Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whats your favourite resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Just reading the skiier profiles page. All very interesting but I thought that an obvious missing question is what is your favourite resort.

It is of interest to me as I want to ski somewhere I have never skiied before..
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oooooooo. Difficult question.

Probably the best resort that I've skied would be Zermatt....but I love the feel of Jungfrau. Because I've spent so much time there (summer and winter) it feels like a 2nd home....so that'd probably be my favourite.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kitzbuhel! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So many for so many different reasons....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Elizabeth B, Have to agree with Zermatt, but will be going to Wengen in 3 weeks time and then on to Zermatt for the second time, so I will look forward to see if Wengen grabs the honours. snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wherever the snow is! Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ischgl.... and Verbier
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agree with Guvnor, can't name one alone.

Off the top of my head, these are the places I liked enough to go back more than once:

Ischgl for great combo of snow plus extent of terrain plus nice village
Saalbach for ski travelling around the circus
Schladming for skiing the Amade, but with great 'home hill' when we don't feel like driving
Zell for friendly local slopes and lots of off-slope diversions plus glacier and general cheap hols
Obertauern for good snow but cheaper than Ischgl (and not as charming IMV)!
Kitz for lovely old town and atmosphere plus access to massive ski area

I could go on and on.....

D
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Zermatt - probably, followed by Val d'Isere, but that may be inverted after my imminent 2 week trip to Val d'Isere Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My favourite always seems to be the one i skied last
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Useful thread, but could everyone add reasons like Deliaskis did please?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Les Arcs

Because I generally go on skiing holidays with family who consist of

Me: An ageing (42) Good intermediate/Advanced skier, who likes to ski within his abilities (i.e. not fall )
Wife : An intermediate, who can cruise happily all day on Blues and groomed Reds, but never Blacks
2 Teenage sons : 1 snowboards , 1 skis both are advanced and will go anywhere, the steeper the better.

With this in mind I find that Les Arcs is the best resort I have found which has loads of terrain, which is suitable for a group of different abilities. The pistes are very well groomed in comparison to its (this season unlinked) neighboor and the uplift is generally very fast.

All this of course is IMHO
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Big White. Followed by Lake Louise and Whistler. I guess it's fair to say I like Canada!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Resort C. If I tell you where it is, I'll have to kill you. Powder, few people on the slopes, cheap

Alta. Powder, uncrowded slopes, cheap, no boarders, GMD.

Wengen. It looks pretty. (AFCNK)
Whistler. The best and worst of Europe, but done by Canadians.
Saalbach. Good apres.
Val d'Isere. Good apres, extensive skiing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
professorpool wrote:
Just reading the skiier profiles page. All very interesting but I thought that an obvious missing question is what is your favourite resort...

What skier profile page? Puzzled
snow report
Tukino for my best memories with a late friend. The drive up in an old hilux was almost as good as the skiing.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 25-02-08 20:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
abc wrote:
What skier profile page? Puzzled

Here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=1960
snow report
Serre Che I don't necessarily think its 'The Best'. But for good skiing and a friendly low key atmosphere with a great variety of slopes above and below the trees on and off piste all at a real French not rip off French prices it suits me and is my favourite.
snow conditions
Zermatt, by a country mile.
ski holidays
Tignes.
OK, so it's the only resort I've ever visited, but I had a great time! Very Happy
Went there in April last year - going back in a couple of weeks and again in April.
Main reason for going back to the same place - found a great snowboard instructor and have booked lessons with them again. Shocked

Have enjoyed browsing the forums for a while, thought it was time to post Toofy Grin
snow report
Murren....i guess Laughing
snow conditions
professorpool, Glenshee - Nails!
snow report
Squaw Valley, CA - Steeps to die for, bulletproof snow record, locals are safe and will show you around, and three parks / two pipes / great cruising terrain / avg 317 days of sunshine a year to boot.

Of the European stuff, Alpe D'Huez for steeps and Les Deux Alpes for Fouche's awesome snowpark / superpipe.
snow conditions
Ischgl (roll on 7th March). Large ski area, great lift system, pretty village, good snow and amazing Apres Ski.

Mayerhofen - NIce village, friendly people, some great views of the Zillertal valley from the slopes, good Apres ski.

Kitzbuhel - Beautiful medieval centre

Off to Zell Am See at Easter. Not been before but looking forward to it based on what I've read on here
snow conditions
Well, I have no favourite, not having been to enough places yet! What I can say is what I do/don't like about the 3 places I have been, from the perspective of a beginner. In a couple of years' time I'll probably change my mind!

Kopaonik (Jan 06)
Good in that it's got a compact resort area, so there's easy slope access, esp from the Grand where we stayed - little traffic, seems safe for families. Also it was cheap.
However it's a small area, and not snow-sure with no alternative area to bus to if there really isn't enough snow. There is no dedicated novice slope apart from the kids' one which has virtually no gradient at all. The green used for teaching is one route back to the lifts from a red, so can be a bit busy. I realise now that the runs are quite short and there's not enough to challenge the more adventurous.

Tignes
Good in that it had 2 free lifts in the area I was in (Lavachet), a drag and a chair serving 2 slopes, one harder than the other and both are easily accessed from the free bus. THere are other free lifts in Val Claret, but I didn't use them. Great that novices/non-skiers can go up the funicular and cable car to the Grande Motte viewpoint at 3456m.
Bad? Not sure really, apart from there being a limited choice of where to take me for a gentle step on from the beginner lift. The one run we did ended with a bus trip back from Val Claret.

Vallandry
Good variety of runs to keep both me and my experienced friends happy. Lovely pair of teaching slopes above (Flocon/Cabri). La Foret is great for early confidence building, but the steeper bit at the end might have been too much for me had it been my first ever lesson. It was a perfect resort for me at my current level.
However I am really not sure I'd have been happy to take my very first lessons on skis there. THe intro was done on a very icy flat area beside the lift where the ski school classes all assemble and involved sidestepping up a slope of about 5m that kids use for tobogganing so is very icy. THen it's straight up the chairlift, with skis on. That would have been a very daunting thing when i first started.

The bottom line is that I'd happily return to any of them - indeed I am keen to do so and ski more than on the last visit!
ski holidays
Give me a quiet peaceful place every single day of the week and twice on sundays...

Don't need;

Loads of Brits..or loads of anyone else either.
No queues
No zillions of kms of pistes
No zillions of lifts.
so therefore don't have to pay loads to wait in line with loads more people....

I am very very happy that people love going to Val D, Verbier, 3V, Zermatt, St A etc ....make them bigger and better. Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
When I was younger (and fitter) I really enjoyed the large resorts like Val d'Isere and La Plagne - ski from first lift to last and never on the same slope twice. Now I'm older and ski with the family my criteria have changed - Zell am See a couple of years ago was great - mountain restaurants just when you needed them and great views of the lake - skiing not so extensive but the whole xperience was great. Smile Off to Vallandry at Easter so that might become the next favourite - lots of snowHead seem to rate Les Arcs
ski holidays
JT wrote:
Give me a quiet peaceful place every single day of the week and twice on sundays...

Don't need;

No queues
No zillions of lifts.

I am very very happy that people love going to Val D, Verbier, 3V, Zermatt, St A etc ....make them bigger and better. Laughing Laughing Laughing

You've seen the light too!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
St anton is gods gift to skiers Very Happy Have to agree with Corky though there is somthing about Mayrhofen that is special really do think it is the people or is it the Ice Bar Toofy Grin
ski holidays
JT wrote:

Don't need;

No queues
No zillions of lifts.

I think Megamum might be able to suggest somewhere that fits the bill!
ski holidays
Butterfly,

I have few places that are kind of off the radar...but I really don't want them to get like the drone-zones... so I don't publicise them as much.

Most places will have interesting terrain if you look for it.....and can get to it... and then ski it.

I find 30,000 beds in a resort quite depressing so tend to avoid them....like the plague..!!
ski holidays
As a ski hill the best i've skiied (irrespective of lifts) is kicking horse. The steeps are steep the couloirs narrow and the trees tight.
snow report
les arc, les arc, les arc!
I go skiing with mixed ability group, and there IS somthing for everyone, from off piste touring off the grand col and aguile rouge for instance, fantasticly groomed red runs in vallandry, tranquile blues every where, snowboard cross course (quite a long one), jump park, the lot
Only negative is that the only blaks are mougle covered, no steep smooth ones (but they are blacks so who cares!?) and the night life is poor (1800 the best but still not great)
Plus the new link to la plagne is a feat of engeneering genious, shame its closed this season! snowHead
snow report
St Moritz.

Aspen is also up there.

Zermatt is good but overrated.
ski holidays
Have to agree with the Zermatt overrated idea. Very beautiful and the trip by cabin to the top of the glacier is a great experience but also very busy, loads of very fast, out of control (so called) skiers, long queues, short runs with lots of narrow tracks and a bit too posh for my liking. The only place I have ever been where I heard a group in front of me discussing the relative merits of their estates and their ghillies! Much nicer on the Cervinia side, more laid back, better snow. A worthwhile experience but won't be going back in a hurry - prefer Ischgl any day.
latest report
I must say I thought that I would put Ischgl on my list this year. Really enjoyed the skiing until I see a bar advertising topless dancing-lap dancing on the mounting. Not my idea of the perfect ski resort. May be perfect for some but if I want this I can go to Soho.
snow report
Its not Resort H. wink
snow conditions
skiingfool wrote:
Really enjoyed the skiing until I see a bar advertising topless dancing-lap dancing on the mounting.

Shocked wow that sounds ..er... different... skiingfool could you clarify exactly at what stage in the dancing-lap process the mounting took place and I'll contact the Austrian authorities.
latest report
Wordbird, spot on... Zermatt is grossly overrated, dark, dank, miserable place... much better over on the sunny side Very Happy
snow report
This weeeknd, Silver Mountain, Idaho, especially as it has a forecast fro 30cm of pow Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy