Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA Pilots Strike

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone heard what dates are proposed for the strike yet? 'Easter' was mooted as a possibility or 'early March'

I thought I saw the pilots union saying dates would announced this morning, but I can't see anything yet...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Always rather sad to update one's own thread.... but here goes;

Conciliation talks begin on March 3rd.

Typical of me... the one time in my life I book to fly BA they decide to go on strike just before I'm due to go rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Friends had booked to fly BA to Malta last week (wife, daughter in law and mother of the chaps who were skiing, borrowing our apartment) and BA cancelled their flight two weeks previously. They went Ryanair. It was cold in Malta, and lovely and sunny in the Alps!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Know how you feel red 27 - we always go easyjet - except this Easter we got a good deal booking early so have got BA flights booked...
We're watching like you.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
found this ref strikes, looks like talks start 3 march

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/transport/article3448976.ece
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
waynos, jayne durham, To be honest I'll raid my piggy bank and top up their goddamn pension plan myself rather than let the dispute get in the way my trip so we should be OK... Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They're not striking about pensions, but long term job security/pay/conditions. They all got dicked on pensions last year. My gut feeling is you'll be ok...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bump... any news of how the talks went? I can't seem to find anything on the internet... Puzzled
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
red 27, you are obviously not a follower of pprune. Fill your boots to an 18-page thread. The latest state of play is somewhere in there. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Talks still seem to be going but I don't know if there is a date for the strike (if it happens). I read a few pages and gave up.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am flying with them on Saturday - as long as I get out there I am happy...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles, that should help wile away the long winter evenings.... many thanks Shocked .

stoatsbrother, I hear that...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, the conciliation didn't work so now we find out which of the next few weekends the strike will be. Most guesses seem to be Easter or the opening of Terminal 5 the next week. Could be next weekend but probably not.
Can't believe I am the only one here who could get caught.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We might get caught snowballl.... We're due to fly over the Easter weekend...
Do you know when they are announcing the dates of the strike?
Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yep you're not alone snowball, we fly out easter weekend and back T5 opening weekend, doesn't sound promising.

What happens if the flights get cancelled, in terms of refunds, help towards finding/paying for new flights ?
snow conditions
You'll get your money back, but I doubt that you'll get anything else, judging by the last strike (or was it a near strike?) a couple of years ago.
snow conditions
that's not good news, we booked these flights 11 months ago and now face a non too pleasant prospect .. doh. snowball, where are you getting your info from, can't find anything recent online.

Did read somewhere that 7 days notice must be given so will be keeping a close eye on things throughout this week and particularly next weekend.
latest report
immediately after posting above I did another search and found this amongst others, guess I just didn't look hard enough (I mean, I didn't scour the net, not that I look mean and tough Very Happy )
snow report
Well it was front page news in my newspaper this morning but see the most recent page or so on the site achilles gives above for the latest inside view from pilots.
Edit: Actually, looking at that this morning, it looks much more up in the air than it did yesterday morning. And my newspaper didn't mention it today - at least not anywhere obvious.
snow conditions
snowball wrote:

Puzzled
snow conditions
red 27 wrote:
snowball wrote:

Puzzled
Well, at the time I seemed to be the only person reacting to the headlines (or was it only a frontpage headline in the Guardian?)
snow report
Latest doesn't sound to promising....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7286904.stm
ski holidays
boredsurfin, but would the injunction process not take things well beyond Easter? [/selfish]
snow report
Have just telephoned BA to ask about refunds etc, my question was firmly but politley interupted by the advisor stating that "the strikes have just been called off".

Nothing more official that that at the moment, but that is a quote direct from BA customer services.
ski holidays
masmith, oh god I hope that's true.... Smile although as they hadn't actually been 'called on' I'm not quite sure what's going on... Puzzled
ski holidays
red 27, yes I know what you mean about "called on" ... I guess it was just a figure of speech that the advisor used, and I was so so pleased to hear that news I didn't probe further. Keenly watching Sky and reuters web sites for updates.
snow report
Does anyone know what happens if the strike is called for when you are supposed to be flying back?

Off to Alpe D'Huez on Saturday with BA from Birmingham, and will be flying home on the Easter Saturday so it seems as if the strikes to hit they may be over that weekend. I take it the holdiay company (First CHoice), can;t turf you out of the hotel, although I suppose there would have been no flight out for people to take our place at the hotel.

I would be very upset if we had to extend the holiday over the Easter weekend at someone else's expense!! HE HE HE HE HE Laughing
snow report
reded78 wrote:
Does anyone know what happens if the strike is called for when you are supposed to be flying back?

Unless you've booked a precautionary return on another airline, you probably stay where you are. Could be worse. Trouble is, they'll probably insist that you turn up at the airport, just in case, so your extended hol will probably be at GVA.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well if it's off it isn't on the pilots' website yet.

Well it was "on" in the sense that it had been voted for: they just hadn't named a date.
latest report
reded78 wrote:

Off to Alpe D'Huez on Saturday with BA from Birmingham, and will be flying home on the Easter Saturday so it seems as if the strikes to hit they may be over that weekend. I take it the holdiay company (First CHoice), can;t turf you out of the hotel, although I suppose there would have been no flight out for people to take our place at the hotel.

It's prob not that straight forward. I would guess that First Choice will be using more airlines than BA to ferry clients in to ADH, in which case, if there was a BA strike then there cuold well be peopl arriving expecting to move into your hotel/room. I would expect that you would have to leave the hotel and FC would put you up elsewhere, no doubt near the airport.
ski holidays
bug!
latest report
there was supposed to be a "ger" on the end of that. Sorry for the language!
snow report
update from 17.17 today...

BALPA spokesman Keith Bill said: "Talks have broken down and we are now pondering our next step after BA said that if we announce a strike date they would go to a high court to seek an injunction.

"We have no date pencilled in and are taking it one step at a time."

what a name... sounds like something out a Martin Amis novel
snow conditions
I emailed BA yesterday to ask what our options were should a strike be called...
I wanted for example - to know if we could transfer flights to an ealier or later date without paying extra ...
They replied .... simply with a very irritating and non personalised copy of the general news on their website which did nothing to address my specific question.
So I emailed back again -
Will let you know if I get a reply.

When BAA were threatening to strike around Christmas I emailed Easyjet with some questions - and they answered them very promptly and specifically..

Not impressed so far with BA - will go easyjet from now on.
Bahhhhhh Evil or Very Mad
latest report
BALPA have confirmed that they won't be striking over Easter:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7289695.stm
snow report
Alastair, yee-ha! Very Happy snowHead

You are the bearer of glad tidings!
snow conditions
Alastair, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

So all my work of the last couple of days goes to /dev/null, i.e.

- sussing out ferry crossings
- planning route
- finding en-route accommodation
- finding out if Swiss tranfer tickets can be refunded
- checking out car parking in Lauterbrunnen
- finding a suitable roof box

Still, it's been fun ... I was actually starting to get all excited about the prospect of driving for 11 hours, turning a negative into a positive and all that - how strange.

Thoughts though must turn to those with BA flights booked after Easter for whom the uncertainty remains ... Sad
ski holidays
Yes indeed - same here... although not as complex, as I had only to hover my mouse for hours on end over the easyjet website wondering whether to double book flights to Zurich - didn't in the end.. Very Happy

masmith wrote:
Thoughts though must turn to those with BA flights booked after Easter for whom the uncertainty remains ... Sad

Indeed they must.... is a short period of selfish celebration allowed first do you think? Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy