Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Achilles Tendonitis (and skiing)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Have had this problem for 6 monhs and have tried many treatments, can't get it to go away. If I jog for any reason it becomes very sore and inflamed. It is know too late for any radical treatment this season. Have tried on my boots but still cant work out how it will feel after a days skiing. Anyone any experiences or suggestions
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman, Try a couple of hours at a snowdome just to see how it would feel after light skiing, I think your boots would support you but not entirely sure. Jogging would be bad because of the "impact shocking" the tendon every time your foots hits the ground.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman, I ruptured my Achilles' tendon about 10 years ago, playing squash. It was completely without warning - I'd had no tendonitis at all. It wiped out a cricket season for me!

I was nervous about going skiing the next season, but in fact I think it was very beneficial: the ankle gets nicely mobilised, without extremes of movement being possible. Periodically, I suffer from tendonitis on the other side. I find that regular exercise (running and cycling) keeps it at bay. Strenuous exercise after a period of inactivity is likely to bring it on.

The tendon that snapped is not as supple as the other one. I can't get the degree of ankle flex that I have on the other side and, within its range, it's slower. This may or may not be the reason that I have a tendency to sit too far back in my skis! I've got a consultation / fitting at profeet tomorrow, and of course I'll be interested in what they have to say - I'll report back.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman, I have some problems in that area, the root cause for me is high arches and them collapsing under load. The fix is orthopaedic foot beds for me, I get varying success with the beds, the standard conformable ones help but I really need genuine orthopaedic beds made by an orthopaedic surgeon. Consult an orthopaedic surgeon is the best answer rather a guy in ski shop who thinks he's a foot expert.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suffered from this earlier this year through the use of new trainers with insufficient cushioning (a common cause according to web searches).
I run most nights and noticed the problem after about 10 days with the new trainers.
I found that everytime I ran I would be limping the next day and even resting for a week made no difference.
A couple of months ago I bought a wobble board and started using it every night (usualy for 45 mins watching the football) and am now able to run again.
I started off at the gym taking it slowly but can now run outside with no problems.
Possibly this is a co-incidence but having seen some of the dire reports on the web I am mighty relieved.
Stephen
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

a wobble board

Like that thing Rolf Harris used to have? Cool. Did your kangaroo behave while you were watching the footie? Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

A couple of months ago I bought a wobble board and started using it every

Can you do "stairway to heaven" yet? Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hyweljenkins, Great minds......................
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Frosty the Snowman

Badda-bing!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, Thanks for putting a name to it Frosty....I've had the same problem exactly during the last few seasons....while skiing I have no pain....different in snowboard boots though! Have you heard of 'Salonpas' analgesic patches/plasters?.....widely used here in Japan for all types of muscle aches....I saw them once in a healthfood store in the UK....they do the trick for me.
Also warming up the tendon by stretching/kneading seems to help snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mac46,
Quote:

Also warming up the tendon by stretching/kneading seems to help
helps me also. Im glad you ski OK with it. Went to the docs last night and she has referrd me to an orthopaedic surgeon. She ssays I need a liitle op to tidy it up!. But she says that skiing should be fine and she will even sort me out with anti- inflammatory's (plus sensitive belly pills) for the knees and ankle prior to my ski hols Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Do not worry,

This problem has plagued me since Feb. Have spent over 500 quid on Physio etc. Waste of time.

Take a good anti-inflammatory. Have been ski-ing for 3 days here in Canada. Absoletely no problem while ski-ing. Helps gentely stretch problem area.

So don't worry you will be fine.

John
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnboy, Top news, hope Canada is fine:D Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy