Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d'Huez - any hints & tips?

Poster: A snowHead
We're off to Alpe d'Huez on Friday (yippee! snowHead ). Does anyone have recommendations for

A) Nice mountain restaurants

B) Nice resort bars (possibly with live music)

C) Nice pistes (I've been reading the threads on Sarenne & Tunnel, but don't know much about the resort otherwise)

D) Anything else of interest!

We're staying in the Hotel Beausoleil - I'm not expecting anything too plush (& there's a school party there that week as well, but at least they warned us!) but it looks fine & the location looks excellent...

We're also planning on doing the helicopter transfer over to L2A for a day. Has anyone got any info/experience about this?

Cheers snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I went there this January an can tell you something of interest... The best pistes (and restaurants) are found on the edges of the ski-area. The main Alpe d'Huez area isn't really exciting, but once you're on your way zo Oz, Vaujany (really nice and cheap restaurants!) and Auris it's superb. You'll find the best skiing in these area's. Sarenne isn't that difficult, Le Tunnel is only recommended for really good skiers (and the braves Wink). Other pistes in the main area i'd recommend are 'Les Rousses' and 'Combe Charbonniere'.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Eyeopener, thanks for that Very Happy

I notice that this is only your second post - hello & welcome to snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jo225, fantastic outdoor pool in centre take your kit! It's lovely you swim out to it. I think it is include in lift pass but not certain. Oh and men need Speedo style trunks in french pools. There's also an ice rink. The bar next to the ice rink, Le Sporting?? I think it's called, just up some steps above a supermarket was good and had music. There's another bar too, think it was called O sharkeys irish which had live music, was quite small down some steps and on a side street. There's an ice driving circuit too. Very good resort lots to do. Unfortunately I didn't ski that year - was grounded with sick child Sad
Have a great time.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Runs:
Blacks: Sarenne/Chateau Noir (but watch out for rocks that bug your skis in the lowers sections); La Fare, La Foret
Reds: Les Rousses, Chamoix, Alpette (if empty), Belvedere. If you take Marmot 3 up to the Sarenne (Pic Blanc) you miss the hardest section and the run is effectively red/blue all the way down to the flat section.
Blues: Les Travers, Champclotury, Petit Prince

Mountain restaurants: Les Airelles on the blue run down to Montfrais; L`Alpette at bottom of green section of Alpette; La Grange (by gondola leading up to Dome de Petites Rousses); Perce Neige (just down the green `Lutnis` from Poutran I); La Bergerie (at bottom of Petit Prince) and the restaurant at the top of Le Signal.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I reckon the heli would be fun especially if it's your first ride in one. I've taken it from a pick-up point at the end of some of the off-piste itineraries and it is really fun - especially if it isn't completely full and the pilot decides to do some tricks Skullie The really surprising thing is just how damn quick it is. It would probably take 45mins+ to drive from ADH to LDA; it will be less than 10mins in the heli
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno, I vaguely recall you recommending some skiing and restaurants in the Auris sector ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beetle, i actually ski in auris the least because i usually start from Vaujany. however, if there is fresh snow, there is a massive amount to plunder. it's mostly pretty obvious but if you go off the back you will need to walk back up to Auris
the only restaurant i know well is the one on the run-out of the sarenne. it usually has a nice daily special but it does get busy esp later in the season when it is sunny down there
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The bar at open air pool has free wifi if you buy a drink.

Signal de L'Homme was our favourite area. Go on the Scare chair. Less crowded slopes and a variety of skiing. Enjoy. Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sarah, beetle, Arno, Michael B, thank you! Very Happy

Our new skis arrived this morning, so I'm even more excited now snowHead (Need to be extra-careful of those rocks on the Sarenne/Chateau Noir now, though!)

'Scare chair'? Skullie Sounds interesting...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'll second Beetle's recommendation re: Chateau Noir and especially re: La Foret which is worth getting to early if you're lucky enough to get a dump of snow. There's a bunch of windlips and some rock drops / small cliffs under one of the lifts (either Romains or Fontbelle, the left hand one, I forget) next to the bottom of the Marmottes cablecar too, nothing too challenging but good fun if the weather dives or it's a'blowin and the top gets shut.

Didn't hit much else really although Signal was fun the once I hit it... also had new skis (Scott Punishers...mmmm...) for my trip and ran into three bluebird pow days so just sessioned the awesome La Foret until my knee gave way and I ended up crip crip Crying or Very sad

Drinking-wise, just head for Smithy's and get started on the trays of home-made shots. Lively, good atmosphere and as cheap as you'll find.

Food: The L'Epicier restaurant is jokes , great food if a tad pricey... word of warning though, their homemade green liqueur is pure evil.. wink My mates liked the mountain restaurant at the top of the Poutran cable car, but I never eat on the hill so caveat emptor on that.

If you head for L2A and there's snow, get the triple lift up past the (superb) park and have a look at the wooden fence at the top (spot it first but about 15m down). It's easily jumpable given the right conditions and the landing is super-sweet and long too... my favourite hit in Europe by a distance cos you can keep going further and clearing the previous bombhole so it stays rideable for an hour or so even with a big group (we had 20-odd!). Check out the 'Snotribe 2006' vid on youtube for visuals.

Enjoy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you do Les Rousses down to Alpette do La Fare down to Enversin D'Oz, this gives you a great drop without lifts.

If you do La Sarenne (which I would recommend for the view and lack of lifts) go up to Signal De L'Homme afterwards, have a practice on the bumps and then do the Col De Cluy black, I found the mogul field on the back of the hill every bit as intimidating as the Tunnel, but with more space!

The restaurant at Alpette (in front of you when you do Les Rousses) is really good and we enjoyed a sundowner at a bar just to the left of the drags at the top of the greens (you ski through a tunnel under a drag) and turn left! You can ski back to town after the lifts have closed and even newbie skiiers can get there.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DavidYacht, that's the Plage des Neiges. It also doea a mean steak tartare for lunch.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dante, DavidYacht, Lizzard, thank you all as well! Very Happy

I'm making lots of notes snowHead

(Lizzard, I love steak tartare, mmm... )
snow report
Thread revival, but I'm booked up to go to Alpe D'Huez in two weeks, and was wondering if anyone had first-hand experience of conditions. It looks like it's snowing at the mo, which is nice, but how far down can one ski? I'm thinking of taking SWMBO (1 wk skier, parallel stems) on the Sarenne from the Marmotte 3; how difficult is it really from there? I last skied ADH about 12 years ago when the British Junior champs were there and don't remember the Sarenne being anything remotely difficult even on the top section, but it would be good if I could get a second opinion.
snow conditions
Sideshow_Bob, Don't know the answer but it would take a 1 wk skier, parallel stems a long while to do the 16km of the Sarenne wink I shall be there that week too (wc 22nd) with my daughter.
latest report
Quote:

I'm thinking of taking SWMBO (1 wk skier, parallel stems) on the Sarenne from the Marmotte 3; how difficult is it really from there?

Not very difficult red, I'd say. Not much in the way of bumps, couple of steepish (for a one-week skier) narrow bits which are sideslippable if you bottle it.
ski holidays
Maybe you're not remembering the same Sarenne as I skied one warm sunny Easter day two years ago. Smile

Up top, there's a drop from the Pic Blanc lift arrival that'll be either chopped up powder or icy moguls on a good enough gradient that will intimidate your beginner. After that it is much easier but as Colin states, 14 km is a long way when there's lots of faster and more confident (but not neccessarily competent wink ) folks whizzing by you and unless it's cold, the 'slush puppy bumps' on the lower laney bit of Sarenne would drive anyone to distraction let alone a one weeker trying not to break their cruciates. Smile

On your conscience be it. Skullie
snow conditions
You can join in Sarenne at the bottom of the Herpie/Hermine/Cristalliere blues & reds, missing out the Pic Blanc bit, which would make it less intimidating. Check out from others if the run is icy on the road at the bottom or if there are rocks toward the bottom. Last year we ducked the tape (following an ESF instructor!) and did the last few miles along the road on sheet ice ... not a lot of fun. But if there is decent snow its a nice run. Best part this year was doing the Sarenne two up with no one else in sight on fresh snow.
snow report
The Heli trip is a must, I think it only operates Tues,Weds, Thurs. 63euro return and if you have the Vis alp pass, it is valid in L2A. Prebook some of our group missed out in Jan

Sarrenne is 16 km and you have to do it as it is the longest piste in the world, but over half of it is very boring. Don't do the tunnel unless you have the ability. Only went over to the Auris sector once and found the uplift very sloooow. Best piste skiing down towards Villard reculas and Vaujany.

My favorite piste was "Le Face" going down into Vaujany, do it in the early afternoon, just as the sun is getting onto it.

Enjoy Razz
ski holidays
I think I'll recce the Sarenne first then! After taking my ex down an easy red on her very first day's skiing only to find it'd got quite slushy and mogully in the two hours since I skied it and therefore not really suitable (cue a bit of walking, a bit of sideslipping and a lot of cursing and crying from the ex) I'll err on the safe side. 14km shouldn't take all that long, about an hour and a half perhaps. We skied from the top of the glacier at L2A to resort in a similar time last year on the missus's first trip and that was taking it really easy.

Out of interest, can someone tell me what the orange dots on the piste-map for the Sarenne, Tunnel and La Fare blacks and the red dots on the Les Rousses red signify? I only have the online version without the key.
ski holidays
Back from Alpe d'Huez now - good time had by all, on the whole snowHead snowHead

We did book the helicopter over to L2A for Wednesday, but it was cancelled due to cloud & worrying winds, & the Thursday flight was booked up by then... Sad Oh well, maybe next year! We went for a nice ski over Auris way after we'd got over the disappointment, & it did indeed look worse in L2A, which was some small consolation...

Thanks for all the hints & tips Very Happy The Perce Neige was probably our favourite restaurant (ate there twice, could've eaten there all week & not been bored!), but the one at the top of the Signal (Panorama?) & the one at the foot of the Chalvet chair were also very nice Very Happy And the self-service place down in Oz (La Ferme d'Oz, I think - just up from the Poutran gondola, or down off the blue that goes to the Arpette gondola) does good & reasonably-priced food with a great help-yourself salad bar & also has decent beer Toofy Grin Might consider Oz as a place to stay in future.

Sideshow_Bob, it's very icy there at the moment - you'll need a good snow dump to sort it out, otherwise it'll just be powder on sheet ice, as it was last week in most places... Not that it stopped us enjoying ourselves! Just be aware that you're going to be doing a bit of skidding from time to time Toofy Grin
As Kel says, do La Fare if you can, it was my favourite piste as well snowHead Les Rousses (nice easy red) onto Bartavelles (some icy moguls, go off to the far side if you don't like & you'll be fine) onto Alpette is also a super run. As is Poutran, again down to Oz (give it a bit of time to warm up in the morning, though - it's nicer when you can get an edge in!). I enjoyed the steep icey reds over on the Auris side as well, but there was a lot of skidding going on, I'm afraid... Twisted Evil
As for Sarenne, hmmm - we didn't actually do it, because the only bit we wanted to do was the very top & when we went for it, the Pic Blanc cable broke down & then the Glacier chair from Marmottes 3 was shut, so... But you can do most of it by skiing down from Marmottes 3. However, some people from our hotel did this, & they considered the blue down from Marmottes to the start of Sarenne to be the hardest part of the entire run... their take on it was 'long boring blue with slush & ice & rubble followed by long boring green with ice & rubble' or words to that effect. The word 'disappointment' featured quite strongly also. So I don't think you & yours will have too much trouble with it, but you could probably have a better time elsewhere snowHead
It's a great resort - enjoy! Oh, & if you're up near the Stadium, do the night skiing if the weather permits - cold & very icy (again!) but really good fun snowHead
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob, crikey, I'm not surprised she's your ex if you took her down a red on her first day's skiing! wink
latest report
Jo225, thanks for the report. It looks like it dumped it down the last couple of days, and even if that doesn't hold up I was brought up skiing rock-hard watered race courses so I don't mind the hard stuff. It certainly sorts the men out from the boys.

tessaventer, she did ice-skate to a national level and was doing parallel turns after her first couple of hours, with some carving. The red wasn't really a red, just a long road round the hill apart from the slightly steeper section in the middle. To make it worse we only had 40 minutes until the gondola down the hill shut, so while being very supportive I did have to try to get her moving again after she got upset. Not my finest hour.
snow report
Jo225, as you mentioned Oz, where I'm off to tomorrow, is there much snow down there?
latest report
Jo225 wrote:
Sideshow_Bob, it's very icy there at the moment - you'll need a good snow dump to sort it out

Oh man, what a dump we got Smile Beautiful powder skiing off the Signal down into Villard last Tuesday or Wednesday, and some good deep stuff on Balcons/Balme (when open, or not!) the rest of the time. I have to get me a pair of soft wide-bodied skis for the soft stuff though - my slalom and GS skis are far too stiff and drop through the surface far too easily, meaning I have to sit back to keep the tips remotely afloat. I lost count the amount of faceplants I did due to my tips hitting stuff under the snow and my skis just stopping, throwing me out the front.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy