Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much do ski lifts costs?

Poster: A snowHead
Random question.

How much would a drag, chair, gondola cost to install?

Im sure there are examples. I know it would vary due to length etc.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Christopher, Around €6 million for the new La Roche chairlift in la Plagne Very Happy

Some details here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=338430#338430

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 24-02-08 17:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Christopher, depends if new or not (there is a surprisingly active second hand market!).

The new bubble in Champoluc was something like 11 million - I think...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Christopher, I would suspect the terrain its covering would also influence total costs.

havent got a large mound, and come into some dosh have you ? Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A geeks Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Embarassed Embarassed paradise. A website/forum dedicated to the building of chairlifts etc in ski resorts

http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?act=idx

I think I heard that the replacement for the Plan Bois chair in Les Arcs, 'Le Derby, cost 4m Euro Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thefatcontroller, Ive been on that website before. It is rather good for geeky browsing of lifts, but it doesnt mention how much they cost.

It is also rather hard to translate some of the technical french explanation of lifts.

Bones, I wish.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thefatcontroller,
Quote:

A geeks paradise.

Was it easy to copy that address from your 'favourites' Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin,
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whistler's Symphony Chair cost CAN$9.2m.

The Orange Chair is up for sale, make them an offer!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A friend of mine built his own, with a scooter engine, and some spliced together hawser laid climbing ropes, I think it cost about £30.
It is best to rent rather than buy, there is the problem maintenance, and if you want to go to a different resort it might be the wrong size, plus it might stretch the definition of sporting equipment on easyjet.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jbob wrote:
A friend of mine built his own, with a scooter engine, and some spliced together hawser laid climbing ropes, I think it cost about £30.
It is best to rent rather than buy, there is the problem maintenance, and if you want to go to a different resort it might be the wrong size, plus it might stretch the definition of sporting equipment on easyjet.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is that installation *only*, or the cost of the chair as well?

Installation costs a princley sum, especially as most of the heavy work is done by helicopters these days (at how much per hour?). The cost of the charilift itself is only one consideration.

And don't get me started on maintenance costs.....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RobW, so is roughly £4m for a chairlift and that is without installation costs?

how much do you reckon they cost to maintain with parts and staff a year?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's a fair market in used lifts. Have a look at http://www.saminfo.com/marketplace/ka_detail.php?c=Lifts
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Christopher wrote:
RobW, so is roughly £4m for a chairlift and that is without installation costs?

how much do you reckon they cost to maintain with parts and staff a year?

You can see were this is going. :

If it costs an average of €4m to build a chairlift and a resort builds/replaces a new one every year to add to the 40 already in service. It also costs €x to run and maintain the lifts.

Based on the above calculations if a resort has 800 000 visitors per year each paying €180 for the lift pass. blah blah blah

Did someone mention GEEK earlier in the post Confused
snow report
There's an interesting thread in that forum about the history of the detachable chairlift which solves the mystery as to why some are faster than others Wink

http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=25
snow report
I would imagine the industry has a rough rule-of-thumb for the cost-per-meter or cost-per-pylon or whatever.

A 500-meter button lift will cost much less than a 1000-meter 4-man chairlift or 1500-meter 200-person tram.
latest report
Dr. Will, And I was apologising for being a geek Toofy Grin Good reading on that thread though Embarassed Laughing
ski holidays
Friend of mine told me what the new Honegg chair in Wengen cost. I can't remember the number though!!
snow conditions
I suspect the second hand market is going to take a knock in the EU because of the Cableways Directive. It requires any significantly modified or re-located lifts to meet the same requirements as new lifts. Result for Dopplemayer and Poma that, it makes it almost as costly to re-locate as to start with a new lift.
latest report
But how long do lifts last? There's one near us in France that cost around 15 million € and only lasted 4 years wink
snow conditions
veeeight wrote:
Whistler's Symphony Chair cost CAN$9.2m.

The Orange Chair is up for sale, make them an offer!

hands off the orange chair. whistler mountain ski club want a couple of the towers leaving as a legacy to use for platforms for videoing from for training.

that and a certain party after whistler closed last year (ahem) "may" have reduced the value of some of the chairs....(blaming the hemlock coach for that)
latest report
Quote:
But how long do lifts last?

Meall Odhar T-bar at Glenshee was built 1957, last operated in 2007 - hopefully will be enough snow and people to see it spin in 2008 at Easter time!

The Coire Cas T-bar on CairnGorm saw its first action in 1963 and has always been a key lift, it's record for open days in a season is over 180days, so it's certainly earned it's keep! It is the oldest working lift on the Mountain - and remains the most reliable.... hmm what does that tell us! Cool
ski holidays
Winterhighland, so how much is the new Glenmore gondola going to cost ? Very Happy
latest report
The New Galzigbahn (Funitel) in St Anton opened 2006 cost Euros 22 Million

http://www.galzigbahn.at/page.php?3

The New Rendlbahn (8 man) Gondola in St Anton opened 2009 cost Euros 13 Million

http://www.rendl.info/index.php?id=41

Many resorts Lease there lifts from companys like Doppelmayer.

You might find alot of your answers here

http://www.lift-world.info/en/start.htm
latest report
[quote="s
http://www.lift-world.info/en/start.htm[/quote]

brilliant

Very Happy
ski holidays
RobW wrote:
Is that installation *only*, or the cost of the chair as well?

Installation costs a princley sum, especially as most of the heavy work is done by helicopters these days (at how much per hour?). The cost of the charilift itself is only one consideration.

And don't get me started on maintenance costs.....

The trade off with helicopters is presumably the time saved. The Galzighbahn and Rendl lifts for example in St Anton were both replaced in single closed seasons. As they were replacing existing lifts of major importance, it was obviously vital that they were completed so quickly.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy