Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Temple du Soleil, Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The Form states "data data data" so here you go.

I opted for cheap self catering this year as chalets were OTT. Went with First choice for a week from Manchester on 9th Feb 2007.
Normal slow transfer, as expected. Got to Les Menuires mid afternoon, but it was 5pm before we got to our aparrment.
This apartment complex is part of the Pierre & Vaccances chain and is very basic and pretty cheap. As a result the place was bursting with Scandanavian youth - not a bad thing in many respects NehNeh
However, their holidays are Saturday night to saturday night, so on our arrival, the reception area, bar, restaurant, stairs, corridors, hall, window ledges etc were chocca with Nog skiiers waiting for their pick up to go home...... and newly arrived ones trying to check in. Chaos.
Reception was fast and efficient.
Bit of a trek to our "module" within the complex, so all in all, hot n bothered by the time we got settled.

Ski hire within the complex - Sport 2000 / Eskiador. I had pre-paid via Snowrental.com and I found that on Premium skis n boots I saved 70 Euro compared to the First Choice and shop list price. The shop was very busy, but efficiently run and we (me, mrs, 2 kids) were kitted out with the minimum of fuss and plenty of friendly banter with the staff. Now I am always a bit sceptical about hiring "prermium" rather than "standard".
I got a pair of Atomic Nomads, which I saw retailed in the shop for over 400 euro's so was pleased to see that I did get good gear. The boots and skis were great. I had to pop back in mid week after a rather high speed tumble had broken the "brakes" on the bindings. I hadn't taken out the shop insurance as my own insurance covers damage/theft of rental gear, so was bit worried about being charged. No need, after a good laugh with the satff about my high speed bum bruising smash, they just re-bent some bits back into shape and that was that. It was was 14th Feb, so they gave me a red rose for the wife ! I collected the brownie points and she is none the wiser. Very Happy

Within Temples du Soleil, there is a restaurant called La Grange and we thought it very good. We hooked up with a family from home and ate there twice.
9 of us, with a few beers, 2 bottles of wine, plenty of coke etc for the kids, no starters, but big ice creams for pud came to ~ 220 Euro both nights - not bad value at all. And we weren't just on pizzas n burgers. A nice duck dish, steaks and a wonderful tartiflette with salad and locally cured ham

(the best my mate had tasted and he had 5 that week !) Eating for 9 else where in Val Thorens cost us 300+ euro.
Sorbet with brandy !

Now, back to the hoardes of marauding Scandanavian's. I have never before seen so many beautiful blonde girls in one place, Shocked nor have I seen so much beer being bought in the supermarket (also part of the complex) Also saw a good few with a bottle of vodka in one hand and Red Bull in the other, boy did they shift some booze, but the biggest suprise of all was that we were never disturbed by them. I have no idea where they all went, but the place was quiet. Ok there was the odd noise at night, but no more than you'd expect. Ok the odd fag butt n beer bottle lying about in the morning, but on the whole, no trouble - imagine if it'd been full of young Brits doing the same - there would have been football chants, fights, vandalism, vomit all over the place (I speak form experience having been a drunken tw@t like that in my youth Embarassed )

Checking out was straight forward, they didn't even check the room. One last thing about the rooms - typical French rabbit hutch - poorly equipped tiny kitchnette

and the extractor fan fell off the wall and hit the Mrs on the head -

The fan

The lump on her head !

reception had no first aid "unless you are bleeding".
First Choice were quick to act, got the fan removed, filled in all the report forms quickly and gave us some wine soothe the head.

Would I go with first Choice again - Probably
Stay there again - yes - cheap n cheerful and the snow doesn't care where you stay... speaking of which - 6 days without a cloud in the sky, snow was still good. A bit mushy lower at Les Menuirs and Meribel, but all in all, brilliant.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy