Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Testing

Poster: A snowHead
So, we are going to go Ski Testing in VT. If we all have to do comments and score cards what do you benchmark the scores against - is there an accepted standard ski? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, the 181cm K2 Apache Recons Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fischer RX8
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Smokin Joe, Ditto Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AxsMan, Ditto Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Uh oh, I sense a 30 pager coming on Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can I be the first to say... "2003 B2 puntermeister" Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scarpa, I still got a pair of them too Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FenlandSkier, Ditto Laughing

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They're too new AxsMan, he means the older ones

wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FenlandSkier, Fair point. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You don't disappoint me - ever. OK, I knew you'd have fun with it, but there is an interesting issue behind it all. So I guess you are asked to mark, ease of turning, stability, performance in moguls (if you're a good skier) etc. but against what do you base your comments. 'yes, it turns well' OK, turns well relative to what? Or do you run them up against a pair of skis with which you are familiar and say 'turns less well than a pair of XYZ's but is more stable than them in a straight line'.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, you think too much. If you are rating something out of 10, you don't need a benchmark. Also, by the time you're on your 15th test skis, you have 14 others to compare with.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Elizabeth B, That only really works if you ski on them all first, otherwise you are in the situation of judges in things like dancing competitions - hesitant to award top marks at the beginning in case you get something better come along.

Sorry if I think too much, I'm a scientist by profession and am used to scientific method!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, in which case, rate them against your own skis!

If you think that you've marked too harshly at the start, then you can always "up the score" before you hand your sheet in.
latest report
FenlandSkier, I think that mine are on the way out Crying or Very sad Delaminating, feeling very floppy, unstable at high speed etc. Still love em though but they are holding me back from some aspects of my skiing. Shame it's getting too expensive to take a couple of pairs out on a trip.
ski holidays
Megamum, I think you will have to trade in the wave magics and get some RX8s, in the interests of science wink

Rx8s are orange, they'll go brilliantly with your Spyder jacket!!
snow report
Megamum, it's like ski resorts - you compare to what you know. If you know nothing, then you've nothing to compare anything to!

So, the questions to ask are: Are these skis better or worse at x, y or z than the other skis?
And then make your comments based on, and referring to, what you know.

(posted by WTFH)
snow report
Megamum,

Don't worry about it...

Do you like them, did you think you skied well on them..?? stay clear, IMV, of too much technical jargon, as this is often reletive.

Just go with what you felt...
snow report
I find it really difficult to say what it is that I like about a ski and I don't think I have tried any that I actively dislike so I usually go on how much fun it is and whether it makes me really, really want to buy a pair, that for me is the "best" ski. Its not a test you know, just a comparision of opinions Smile
ski holidays
ickabodblue wrote:
Megamum, I think you will have to trade in the wave magics and get some RX8s, in the interests of science wink

Rx8s are orange, they'll go brilliantly with your Spyder jacket!!

I have found orange skis definitely help my edge control. I think I might research orange boots and jackets to gain even more improvement Madeye-Smiley Laughing
ski holidays
Megamum, Do what JT said. You are not marking skis against any other skis, there is no bench-mark. The scorecards will be easy to understand and first and foremost it's about fun and a chance to ski brands you wouldn't normally get a chance to ski.
snow conditions
kiwi1, Will you be bringing VIST's current slalom ski?
latest report
rob@rar, No, next seasons GS and a SL and I wont be happy if anyone compares them to sodding B2s:-D
snow report
kiwi1, how about bringing a pukka DH ski? . . . At least to that the "soddin' B2" can't be held in comparison wink
snow conditions
Masque, They don't do DH sorry mate. Just GS and SL Crying or Very sad
latest report
kiwi1, then I'll just have to hope that the Radical rep will bring something worth pointing straight down the hill wink
latest report
Masque wrote:
kiwi1, then I'll just have to hope that the Radical rep will bring something worth pointing straight down the hill wink

The VIST GS skis will fit that bill very nicely.

Looking forward to trying the SL ski (probably the only one I'll want to play with I think).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy