Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern in April?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I was on Obertauern in December and absolutely loved it...

now I am thinking of a long weekend there from 4th of April

Has anyone been there around that time? Is the snow usually good there at the beginning of April?

I am not really into off piste and I do like spring condition.

Appreciate your info!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tom W,

Nobody knows what the weather will be like in April. Sometime the summer breaks very early here in Austria (I've seen bikini weather in April before = 10+ deg C on the ski hill). Easter is also early this year and so some resorts will shut early even if the snow conditions are good when they are not getting the customers - this might be the case as the off/low season skiers saw good snow conditions early on in the season.

If I were planning a trip from the UK in April I'd be inclined to get a cheap flight now and sort accommodation out nearer the time based on snow conditions and which resorts are still open. Finding a place to stay won't be a problem at that time of year and if the temps are high then the Kitzsteinhorn glacier (Kaprun) at over 3000 would be my backup plan.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i have.. its was excellent.. it was hot the mainexit points on the the lower runs where getting tired but if your up with the larks you can have 4 hours of great fun.. and if your boarding the late afternoons slop is great as well. a friens of mine a work here found the top 4 hotels we prefer to use where all booked up for the first week in april Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Went there on April 14th 2004 for 4 days and the snow was excellent, although the weather was not particularly sunny. I think they keep one side of the valley open (Gamsleiten and Zehnerkarbahn?) until May 1st.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hywel, iirc, we were also both there on 4th April last year Confused

Everything was open and while it got a little soft low down, generally the snow was still good.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ray Zorro,
Correct, and I agree the snow was very good, it's just that Easter in 2004 was a bit later. snowHead I was also there for Easter 2005 and snow was great. How could I forget you stealing my table at the Kringsalm Restaurant and the ensuing brawl in the gents lavatory? wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm hoping the snow's going to be good at that time too, I'll be there for the week from the 5th Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hamish, We had such a good time in Feb, even though it was slush in the afternoons and plus 8 degrees, that we are back on the 6th April for 4 days... got some really cheap flights... hotels knocking the rooms out cheap as end of season and post Easter. The snow is reported to be better now than all season - and it's snowing all this week too - so can't wait to get there. Staying in a different hotel from last 2 visits, so fingers crossed.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sharon1953, I've been looking at Thomsonfly flights from Manchester myself and getting tempted as prices are quite low. Where are you staying and what the price? (if you don't mind me asking). And how are you getting to resort - hire car or transfer bus?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jo66, going with Thomsonfly from Manchester as you say, cost about £88 return (they charge £30 for ski and £10 for checked in luggage) We are going on the 6th and back on the 10th, this was the most economical time slot, though we arrive late on the Sunday, we also leave late on the Thursday, so we can ski all day...so actually have 4 days on the snow. We usually get a private transfer when there are 4/5 of us, but too expensive for just 2, so using the transfer coach advertised on the Tourist office website. 40.5 euro return each. We stayed in the Hotel Gamsleiten twice, because for food and location it couldn’t be faulted, but this year we were a little disappointed with food, and we decided the absence of a lounge (Just a rather smoky bar Sad ) was something we wanted to change – so have opted to try somewhere else now, with a view to returning their next year. The problem is that most of the hotels in the area around the Gamsleiten Lift and Edelweiss are the top end 4 stars, (fantastic if you have the budget) so we have moved a little further down the road, near the first bridge that crosses the road... you can ski down to all the other lifts and the bubble (just means we access the lift system at a different point). We chose the Hotel Latschenhof http://lu000049.host.inode.at/index.php?id=1014 (E/12 no 93 on the village map – just behind the huge Snow White hotel) The Lurzer family own 4 other hotels, it’s still 4 star, (but no pool) free afternoon tea, 5 course dinner etc, but not quite in the thick of the apre ski area. They speak perfect English, so booking has been a doddle, and they offered us various double rooms from 53 – 58 euro ½ board, per person per night... cheap compared to 80 – 90 for the hotels up the road.
It will be interesting to see how this hotel compares, and if we like being further out of town. There are lots of others with rooms available for short stays, but not all respond in English or have English on the their websites. I have tried using translating sites, but this sometimes make double dutch of everything (rather than English !!) I also looked for reviews of this hotel, and those I could find were positive, there are some to avoid! Just google the one that you fancy the look of, and see what comes up.
Good luck, let me know if you’re there when we are! Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sharon1953, Thanks for all this useful information. I need to have a think about my budget (or lack of it!) and decide whether I can stretch to another ski break! If I do I will definately let you know. Thanks
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jo66, flights have now gone up in price!! Snow reports look great, more snow from Wed. onwards!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Back last night from Obertauern.

Still a lot of skiing to be had! 165cm on the lower slopes. Knee deep powder yesterday 5 miles down the road on Grosseck-Spiereck.

Can't see Obertauern's planned closing (29th April) being constrained by lack of snow (though I think they might start closing lifts after 20th April).

Lots of cheap flights still available, transfer and accomodation bookable online....why not? snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JimiHendrix,

Hmmm tempting isn't it? Thinking of going next Thursday for 3 nights snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hywel, well the latest GFS run is currently predicting a massive dump for next Tuesday/Wednesday....I would book it before the forecast changes wink

BA's daily 8pm return flight to Gatwick gives you a full day on the slopes as well.....
latest report
Just back from 5 days there, flew out Sunday 10th, snowed all Monday, so lovely on Tuesday, Wednesday, 280 cms, but warmed up Wednesday afternoon so soft in pm, and same on Thursday. Late flight home meant we skied all day Thursday! Some thinner patches showing just around the lift areas at resort level, but brilliant everywhere else even in the sunshine, more snow is forecast next week. The slopes were almost empty - had a great blast on the Snowbikes in the soft stuff, which is what they perform best on. Lot of the hotels were closing this weekend and the supermarket too (was really odd seeing all the shelves empty) Lifts open till 21st, but may be limited. Thomson have stopped flights from Manchester now. Transfer was great, took 1 hour from airport to hotel!
ski holidays
sharon1953,
I'm (almost certainly) going this Thursday - am I likely to be the only one there? I've got accommodation lined, there are quite a few hotels still open, although as you say, some are closing this Saturday. It could be awkward if the Supermarket is closed - I think it's the only one? Will have to stop off in Aldi's in Radstadt on the way.
ski holidays
Hywel, well that was what the owner told us when we comented on the empty shelves, no fresh produce at all, and not much else, so stock up in Radstadt. Restaurants and cafes were still open, and pizza place, and all the mountain huts were open. You'll have a good time anyway. We met some first timers to the resort on the transfer bus, and when we met up again on the way home... they said they loved the place, and had already re-booked for next year... apart from them, everyone else we met was on their 3rd or 4th return visit... it has a very faithful following - got to wait another 10 months before we can return Sad , but won't be going anywhere else. Very Happy
snow conditions
sharon1953, what was the Hotel Latschenhof like? I did request an offer from them but haven't heard anything back. We're also waiting for offers from two other hotels but it appears to be quite difficult to book if you're not a regular guest.
snow report
sk8girl, They offered us 3 different prices and sizes:

The price per person per day incl. halfboard

1 double room 24m² without balcony,
or 1 double room 23m² with balcony to the side,
or 1 double room 21m² without balcony, all rooms equipped with shower, toilet, hair-dryer, TV, safe and radio.

double room 24m² Euro 56,00
double room 23m² Euro 58,00
double room 21m² Euro 53,00

It was very nice overall, can't fault the food, and the service was great, the 58 euro room was basic though, but clean and warm, but not 4 star. It needs re-decorating and some drawers would be useful, though the wardrobe was ample for 2. But, as we waiting for our taxi home, we got chatting to the chap on reception, and he told us that the top 2 floors are newer, so nicer (the hotel was extended upwards some 4 years ago) and the bedrooms on the bottom 2 floors have much older interiors and are smaller, so we had seen the best! (Thomson and Ingham guests have complained about these rooms on the lower floors). So just as we thought we might have found an alternative hotel for next year, we began to have 2nd thoughts. There are 2 bar areas which are ok, the ski room is huge and the wellness area is very nice. There is a bridge almost opposite the hotel that takes you across the road... onto the nursery slope... down to the car park and lift system, and you can walk to the centre of town by going through the foyer passageway of the HOTEL SCHÜTZ next door (which we popped into and met some English guests their that said under no circumstances stay there!)

The owner of the Latschenhof is very helpful, so surprised that you have not heard anything, but they were quite busy, so might not have a room free.

We decided on reflection when getting home, having accessed the ski system from the bottom of the resort this time, that we do prefer the Edelweiss/ Gamsleiten entry at the top of town, and the nearness of the apre bars. So will go back to this part of the resort next year... just not sure which hotel as the ones we really fancy are way out of our budget!
ski holidays
sharon1953, Thanks for that. Not sure how easy it's going to be getting somewhere as we need a 4 bed room for half term next year. At the moment we're waiting to hear from The Alpenland and The Montana. Both are saying that they aren't sending out any offers at the moment - The Alpenland keep saying "shortly" and the Montana "end of April". It's a bit frustrating as usually we're all booked up by now.

Do you know what the location's like for either of these two hotels? Ideally we want to be able to "ski out and ski in" - both say you can but it's difficult to tell from the map whether you actually can or not. We're not so bothered about location in relation to the apres ski - we don't tend to venture out after dinner anyway.

Thanks once again for your help.
latest report
sk8girl, Well what they often mean about ski in/ski out, is that they don't clear the snow on all the little back streets and leave a snow along the main road side, so that if the snow is deep enough, you can ski down the roads, between the hotels, to the lifts, but at some point you have to walk back to your hotel unless you're in one that is actually along the slope or at the bottom of one.

If you look at the village map, the hotel numbers 21,82,85, 71,14,99,11, 100,76,11,10, 8, 9, 73 can all be skied to coming down the slope behind them (Gamsleiten 1) and you can ski down the bridge to the Edelweiss area to start off or take the Gamsleiten back up.

The hotels on the other side of the road, can also be skied from, these include numbers 124, 18, 94, 12, 74, 72, 84, it's only a short walk to the start of the run behind hotel 18. Once you get near the tourist information office, you have to walk in either direction to enter the runs, either to the drag lift near hotel 3, and ski down to the Zentralbahn lift, (run 16f) or walk down to the bridge near hotel 21, and ski down to the car park area near drag lift number 3, or walk to right and pick up the others I mentioned. The village is on a crest of a hill, so all those hotels to the right of the tourist info office are on a slope down to the bridge that has a number 6 next to it. The hotels to the left of the tourist info office are on a downward run to the bridge number 5, and then there are more hotels right at the bottom near bridges 2 and 3, the hotel Barbara 28, in this area is actually on a slope itself. We never went up the road near hotel numbers 109, 134, etc, so can't say what they do up there, I assume they too can ski down to the Zentralbahn lift as the hill is downwards from the top of the drag lift 17 (Pernerlift). The village is quite compact though, and there isn't really much walking to do even if you can't ski to the door.

The Enzian complex of hotel/apartments is certainly ski in ski out, and the Gamsleiten, Edelweiss; the Alpenland should be, and the Montana certainly, as the run is at the back of the hotel.

I'd contact as many as you can, because lots of the hotels have adjoining rooms or can take extra beds, even though they may not say so on their websites. The Hotel Solaria looked nice inside, but no English on their website, though they spoke perfect English when we popped in, the owner said she never gets time to translate it, and all her clients are German anyway!! They had apartments/4 bedded rooms.

We found last year that the hotels didn’t release their new prices until June/July and weren’t that keen on taking bookings before then!
snow report
sk8girl, Just had a thought, why not use the Holiday Request search facilty, you just fill in what you are looking for, and then all the hotels will then contact you direct.
http://www.obertauern.com/user/BuchungsServiceFrame.php?cmd=prospektanfrage
snow conditions
sharon1953, that's really useful. We did use the Holiday Request search facility originally, only had a few responses. Most were either not releasing rooms yet or were already fully booked. I guess we just have to be patient and hope we get what we want in the end. This will be only our second DIY trip, this year we returned to Hinterglemm, staying in the same hotel we'd stayed in the year before (booked through Neilson), so it was pretty straightforward. This will be the first DIY trip going somewhere unfamiliar. We did get an offer from the Gamsleiten but because I didn't respond the same day they gave the room they'd offered us to someone else. I'll just have to hope that when it comes to offering rooms they take account of the fact that we've requested them early. I'll have another look through all the hotels, but as you say, a lot of them that look good are not cheap - especially for a family of four!
snow report
sk8girl, Try the 3 stars, there's not much difference between those and cheaper 4 stars, in fact I can't quite understand how they grade them, could be something as simple as how many coat hangers they provide!! Some of the Garni Hotels are nice too, usually smaller. Get the tourist office to send you their brochure, they are all in there, with map references and it's in English too. I'm amazed that they are already full for next year, even if it is half term, as German holidays are different, and not many brits go to this resort. It's really simple DIY, very easy, short transfer from Salzburg, private taxi or use the resort coach. Hinterglemm was our first DIY too, with a hotel owner that didn't speak English, had to get the Tourist office to pass messages to him! rolling eyes
ski holidays
gto back from a long weekend last night.. a lot of th elifts shut next weekend as will a lot of the hotels.. place very quiet now.. yesterday was borderline perfect hot sunny , snow stayed in good shape and ludicrously quiet.. me and my mate where the last two people out of the manke bar for the season.
snow conditions
CANV CANVINGTON, We found it very quiet too, got off the lifts sometimes wondering if everyone knew something we didn't and perhaps we weren't meant to be there! Great on the Snowbikes, could zip along weaving across the whole slope without fear of having to swerve round someone...so late breaks really have their benefits Toofy Grin
ski holidays
sharon1953, Hotel Solaria looks nice on their website. May give them a try. I can speak German so language not a problem. Why do prefer accessing the slopes from the other end?

I must admit I was also surprised some were saying they were already full. That's what got me panicking about not having anything booked yet.

We drove to Hinterglemm this year - made that decision after finding out how much it would cost to fly at half term. I really enjoyed driving (from the passenger seat mind you!). We're planning on driving to Obertauern next year.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sk8girl, Well driving from Manchester just isn't an option, would take far too long, and we are so tired at the end of a ski holiday it's all we can do to drag ourselves to the transfer bus! But all the German's and Dutch go by car.

Top v Bottom. You can get to the Edelweiss from the top end, then enter the wide open area using the Zentralbahn or you can use the Gamsleiten and 1a and get to the bubble (Zehnerka), the Grundwaldkopfbahn and Sonnenlift. But if you are already at the bottom part of the village where those lifts are, and want to get the Edelweiss area, you have to use the bubble >come down 1a>18d, and in bad weather, that run at the top of the bubble isn't nice! Or the only other option is to use the Angerbahn lift by coming down red 4a, this assumes that you are happy to ski that red, and you're in that area to pick that lift up in the first place. It's mostly due to the clockwise and anti clockwise circuit, I think there are more options from the upper end of the village, especially for beginners, who appreciate the short runs back to town. The apre ski bars (that our sons will want to use) the Edelweisshutt and Mankeialm, are also at the top end of the resort. We didn't find a problem at the lower end, as that was where we did most of our skiing this time, we loved the wide open bowl and longer runs, but I know the couple we go with wouldn't like being away from the security of the Edelweiss & Gamsleiten 1, which really are gentle, and have nice slow chairlifts! It's a shame they don't have a ski bus that runs up & down the village, that would solve the problem of having to make sure you're at the right end on your last run. I suspect they don't because the Taxis do a roaring trade (minimum of 8 euro) ferrying people up & down who get too tired to ski back to their lodgings because they ended up in the wrong place! ie us on our first visit Sad They show a bus on the map, but other than coaches bringing people to and from the Town, we never saw a bus in 3 visits!
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON,

Noooo.... Manke Bar shut for the season, and I'm going there Thursday! Where can I get leathered on Jagermeister and then afterwards ski a giant slalom course between the ascending piste bashers?! The place looks very quiet on the webcams, perhaps I'll have the whole pistes to myself. Hmmm, snowing this week, no lift queues, empty pistes...... I'm not looking forward to this weekend at all wink
latest report
Hywel, And there's no booz in the shut supermarket, stock up in Radstadt wink
ski holidays
sk8girl, if you're driving, you could stay in Mautendorf, which is just off the motorway.

This should be cheaper than Obertauern, and you can drive to skiing at:
Grosseck-Spiereck - 50Km pistes, 2 mins drive
Fanningberg - 30Km pistes, 10 mins drive
Aineck-Katschberg - 60Km pistes, 15 mins drive
Obertauern - 90 Km pistes, 20 mins drive.

The disadvantage of this is that Mautendorf is pretty, but also pretty dead.

If you end up staying in Obertauern, definitely do a day at Grosseck-Spiereck. The main skiing is at a similar altitude to Obertauern (1700 - 2400m) though not as extensive, but you've got 2 great long descents to Grosseck base and St Michael (1300m vertical from the top of Spiereck) if that's your thang.
ski holidays
sharon1953, fortunately it's not far to the Channel Tunnel for us, which makes driving such a good option. Sounds like either end of the village would be ok for us as we happily ski blues, reds and blacks, though we are going with some beginners as well next year who may be better off at the top end.

JimiHendrix, Thanks for that - will have a look at Grosseck-Spiereck - could be an option for one day. Husband wouldn't be keen on driving every day though - he wouldn't even drive me to the supermarket half way through the week this year!
snow report
sk8girl, Looking at the flight prices for half term, I can imagine you must save a fortune, we avoid all the school breaks, can't believe how they hike the prices up, yet the hotels don't. We were originally going in 1/2 term this year, group of 14, lots with kids, but when SkiEurope decided not to fly the route anymore, we had to use BA, and the flights were £450 each!!! So we then had to change the dates, which meant all those with school age kids couldn't join us! Looks as though we won't be able to ski with my brother and his wife until there daughter leaves school!
ski holidays
Can anyone recommend a good hotel /appartment / chalet in Obertauern - with easy piste access?

We're mulling over options for Easter (April) 2009 - thinking of Les Arc, La Rosiere, Cervinia or Obertauern.

Unlike this year, thr timing of Easter means that everywhere in the UK and in France will be on holidays at the same time so need to book early and also need to find somewhere that hasn't ramped its prices up!
snow report
simonx, Hotel Schneider - just got back and couldn't fault it, right next to the bottom of the Gamsleiten lift.
It's a fairly large hotel but still has a friendly air to it(it was my birthday while I was there and with no prompting was presented with a small birthday cake Smile - they actually read the registration slip).
Great food (chef cooks omelette/eggs+bacon to order in fornt of you-great to watch) with several courses in the evening.
latest report
simonx, All the hotels have set prices for certain times of the year, usually peaking for New Year and Christmas, and the main months of February/early March, after that prices start to come down, even over Easter at some. The majority of the clientele are from Germany/Austria and Holland, so I don't think our holidays mean a great deal to them. The tourist office website has every type of accommodation listed and the properties are given a map reference, you can then go the village map, and see exactly where each property is.
One self catering block is so near the Gamsleiten lift you could jump off the balcony to it, called Christophorus. Then there is the Enzian, and many others, too many to list, all in good locations. You can get a Location Brochure with them all in, it has a village map, and piste map, that would be the easiest way.
www.obertauern.com > English on left >holiday request top right > location brochure
snow conditions
Hamish, yes, lovely place, but top end price-wise!
snow conditions
sharon1953, tell me about it - I'm still worrying about the credit card bill when it comes.
Actually - wasn't too bad comparing to other places considering the package for the week and they didn't charge for kids in the same room though wink
don't think I'll be able to afford it again though Sad
ski holidays
Hamish, we stayed in the hotel Schneider earlier in the year, on Ray Zorro's recommendation - we both agreed the best hotel we've stayed in and I didn't think the price was too bad, including the lift pass, although we were there in Jan so was probably a cheap time. Fantastic food and a lovely friendly atmosphere, not stuffy at all. I would love to go back there snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy