Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

where's good in April?

Poster: A snowHead
Where's good to go skiing in April in the Alps?
...owing to spring snow conditions I imagine it has to be fairly high.
Prefer Austria or Switzerland but not too bothered.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends on when in April.

My experience of Austria in April has been well maintained pistes, even when temps have been high. Mid april last year is was still possible to ski down to resort level in Wagrain for example. Obviously somewhere that has a glacier and is north facing will give you the best options. Saas Fee may be worth a look?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is only one place to be. Val Thorens between the 19th and 26th of April. It'll be no good anywhere else or any other time wink Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kiwi1 wrote:
There is only one place to be. Val Thorens between the 19th and 26th of April. It'll be no good anywhere else or any other time wink Laughing

Aha, but I can only do a weekend so couldn't make all of it!
Beginning of April should be okay most places shouldn't it?
What about mid to end April ?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
VT I hope
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
GordonFreeman, Tignes has plenty to go at. Or Les2A if you prefer somewhere a bit cheaper.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GordonFreeman wrote:
Where's good to go skiing in April in the Alps?
...owing to spring snow conditions I imagine it has to be fairly high.
Prefer Austria or Switzerland but not too bothered.

All of the 3 places I've been in Austria, Obergurgl, Ischgl and Solden ought to be good even towards the end of April.

Obergurgl is more popular with Brits and is a bit quieter than the other 2. Ischgl and Solden have excellent apres and great nightlife. Ischgl is the more expensive, but better of the two, though Solden is well worth visiting as well. If you go to Ischgl you can ski in Austria and Switzerland (Samnaun).

There are other options in Switzerland and Austria, but I don't know enough about them to comment.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 21-02-08 15:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GordonFreeman, The Espace Killy (Tignes/Val d'Isere).

We were in Val'Isere last year from 21st-28th April and were still able to ski down to the resort on the last day despite scorching sun all week. Conditions on the 2 glaciers were perfect and mornings were a delight everywhere.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My vote is for Saas Fee. Excellent resort with a north facing glacier, so snow sure in more ways than one. Stunning scenery and the locals are very friendly. Lunch at the Gletschergrotte restaurant and you will have a great time.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scotland Smile

You'd be surprised how well snow can hang around, I've skied back to La Tania at 1300m for the past few years at the end of April.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry to answer my own post but just found a magazine article so thought it might be useful.
Its late season bankers are:
Chamonix
St Moritz
Tignes
Cervinia
Hintertux
Ischgl

Off piste at Saas Fee seems limited at the moment although the snow might improve.
Is Hintertux any good?
What about Verbier?

So far, seems to be leaning towards
France: VDI, VT, Tignes, L2A
Switzerland: Saas Fee
Austria: Ischgl
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GordonFreeman, Verbier should be good. I found the glacier at Hintertux to be undemanding, but most glaciers are like that. I suspect that skiing back to the resort may well be out in April.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
geepee, La Rosiere always closes on the last week of April, in the last 7 seasons I've always been able to ski back to the resort, there's usually 60 cms of snow at village level at that date and we've known snow to here until June. The Col de Petit St Bernard, the road between France and Italy which forms part of our domaine often isn't open until early June.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Obertauern would also be an option.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski wrote:
Scotland Smile

You'd be surprised how well snow can hang around, I've skied back to La Tania at 1300m for the past few years at the end of April.

You've skied from Scotland to La Tania ? Shocked
latest report
Patch, we're a hardy bunch and we are used to skiing over rocks and heather ( and the occasional burn) wink
snow report
My vote is defo for Val T - been knee deep in powder on piste in April before
ski holidays
David@traxvax, Sorry my punctuation wasn't great on my post, I meant skiing back to the resort in Hintertux.
snow report
VT or Saas Fee both 2.5hrs from Geneva. bit of a drive! Wink
ski holidays
GordonFreeman, Glad to see Ischgl on the list. Booked there for the w/b March 29th Laughing
ski holidays
GordonFreeman, There will also be weekenders at the EOSB so don't discount it yet!! Very Happy Very Happy

EDIT: See this thread for more info http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=36508

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 22-02-08 18:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Kuehtai, Innsbruck
latest report
GordonFreeman, I skied in Verbier last April 15-22 - needed to get up the hill early, started getting slushy about 11.30 & really horrible about 1.30pm. But that was one of the worst snow years for a while. Zermatt should also be possible until 1st week May at least.
snow conditions
GordonFreeman, St.Anton is open until 27.04! Skiing there in mid April is great. Most of the rich english, dutch & russian idots are gone and the place is really enjoyable. Usually the whole area is still open, including the run down to Stuben and up on the Albona. Sometimes you even can still ski down to the village ( but no guarantees ). Recommended Very Happy
snow report
Steilhang wrote:
St.Anton is open until 27.04! Most of the rich english, dutch & russian idots are gone

Only the poor idiots left eh? And the bloody Germans of course... wink
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
Steilhang wrote:
St.Anton is open until 27.04! Most of the rich english, dutch & russian idots are gone

Only the poor idiots left eh? And the bloody Germans of course... wink
Mostly Austrians counting the money they took off the English Dutch and Russians over the last few months Toofy Grin And before you get started, no, I'm not German rolling eyes
snow report
Steilhang wrote:
And before you get started, no, I'm not German rolling eyes

Nor a rich idiot, I'm sure wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy