Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Global Warming? Schmobal warming...

Poster: A snowHead
The respected US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration have concluded that concerns over the levels of melted sea ice may have been premature:

Ice levels which had shrunk from 13million sq km in January 2007 to just four million in October, are almost back to their original levels.

Figures show that there is nearly a third more ice in Antarctica than is usual for the time of year.

They add that snow cover across the area is at its greatest since 1966.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
carled, Bets on DG taking this to 7+ pages wink Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
global cooling!!! which is of course caused by global warming
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Only 7? Shocked Higher! Higher!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
carled, got a link for that?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
this will go to about 5 will only reach 7 if helmets are incorporated
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Higher, higher, isn't that where the snow line is heading..... wink Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
carled, it's really interesting that this kinda stuff is not widely reported. If you have a link that would make for good reading. Cheers
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
this will go to about 5 will only reach 7 if helmets are incorporated

Why are you dictating to us that we must talk about helmets!
We can talk about helmets if we want to, we don't need you ramming your wacko theories down our throats. If we choose not to talk about helmets, then that's our choice. Stop forcing us to talk about helmets. And anyway, here's a link that proves you're completely wrong... http://www.CANViswrong.com
You always force us to talk about helmets, and we don't need to, cause you can't force us.

...etc.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any articles on glacier coverage in the mountains?
Almost every instructor I have spoken to has gone on about decreasing thickness of glaciers in the mountains now compared to 10 years ago...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MrDan, is this it...
http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/detect/ice-seaice.shtml
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GordonFreeman, definitely in the Alps. Oddly, not in Norway and New Zealand.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry, found the original article - it's the Daily Express. Turns out that climate change was responsible for Diana's death.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat, Al Fayed was kind of right then Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ah, found a possible article that they might have been referring to...
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/research/2007/oct/global.html
latest report
carled, Great news! so they were right in the 70's after all. It's only man-made C02 emissions that are holding back the next ice-age. Now the eco warriors are forcing a cut in emissions we can expect a return to the winters I used to remember, when it was possible to ski in Leicester! (at Bradgate park) Wooot! Laughing
snow report
AxsMan, indeed. Didn't realise that the article had originated from the Express, so maybe some of the quoted science and figures need careful checking!

Found a video the other night of me & the kids sledging at bradgate from 1996... those were the days... snowHead
latest report
GordonFreeman, in the Alps, glaciers have been receding for 150 years: but they have been higher in the past as evidenced by organic material deposited at their snouts (that sounds vaguely disgusting, doesn't it? Smile ):

http://www.climate.unibe.ch/~stocker/papers/joerin06hol.pdf

What seems to have been happening during recent years is that (in very general terms) the Southern Hemisphere (mainly covered by ocean) has been getting cooler whereas the Northern Hemisphere (where 90% of people live) has been getting warmer (though at a slower rate than in the recent past). Since CO2 is well mixed in the atmosphere, this suggests to me (a very tentative conjecture) that some other human-induced factor may also have an influence on the (ever-changing) climate.

http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/temperature/nhshgl.gif

In conclusion: if current trends continue, a helmet will help to keep your head warm while skiing in New Zealand, but will be of less use in that regard in the Alps. Smile

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 21-02-08 11:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I can't find anything like that on the NOAA site http://www.noaa.gov/newsarchive.html
snow conditions
The glaciers in the Alps have been shrinking since the first day the last ice age ended but the rate of shrinkage has incresed dramaticall in the past 10 years Kind of like the number of people not wearing helmets Laughing. I am kind of hoping that the day after tomorrow syndrom kicks in and the we will be able to ski everywhere Toofy Grin
snow conditions
carled, I got a sledge for my birthday in december 1971. Used it once, then it became a set of shelves in my dads garage Sad

By the time the deep snow returned It was no-longer serviceable c'est la vie. snowHead
ski holidays
alex_heney, I wonder is it this... http://nsidc.org/news/press/2007_seaiceminimum/20071001_pressrelease.html

And have they been a bit "economical with the truth" regarding the actual graph...

The average since 1979 at the start of the year is 12.5 million
In 2007 it was 12.
The average low is around 7 million. In 2007 it was around 4.

If it was to follow the average, then it should be up to 10 or 11 by December.
ski holidays
Ordhan wrote:
The glaciers in the Alps have been shrinking since the first day the last ice age ended

That is not true; they have undergone several cycles of recession and advance. Please follow the first link in my previous post.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, No, it can't be that, since that is the exact opposite of what Carled said in the first post.
snow report
alex_heney wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, No, it can't be that, since that is the exact opposite of what Carled said in the first post.

Must be some other NOAA website then, not the real one. (but let's not let the facts get in the way of a rant against any environmental issues)
snow conditions
Laser eye surgery, anyone? Or - more on topic - perhaps digital cameras, with which to photograph the receding glaciers?
ski holidays
alex_heney, Wear The Fox Hat, whatever the source of the information might be, please note that carled referred to total sea ice whereas the graph refers to the Arctic only. As I mentioned above, the temperature of the Southern and Northern Hemispheres have been diverging quite sharply for the last several years.
snow report
laundryman, the problem is that the claimed source has not released the data quoted!
The reference to 13 million square kilometeres down to 4 million looks remarkably like the figures for the northern hemisphere.
Regarding the divergence of temperature, could that be due to human impact?

Some stats on temperature changes here:
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/research/2007/oct/global.html#temp
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat, there are two main global temperature series, GISS (a US compiled series and the basis of the info in your link) and HADCRUT (a UK-compiled series that I linked to above). Interestingly, they have diverged significantly since 2000 - with HADCRUT now showing a distinct decline in average global temperature with GISS a mere levelling off.

Here is some data pointing out the differing recent behaviour of sea ice in the arctic and antarctic:

http://maps.grida.no/go/graphic/regional-changes-in-arctic-and-antarctic-sea-ice

Yes, I do believe this divergence may be, at least in part, due to human influence. However, factors such as changes in land use - which affects the earth's albedo - might (to my mind) be as important, or more important, than greenhouse gases.
ski holidays
I was once in West AFrica with journalists covering the Sahel drought. They were mostly a shower, but the Daily Express were the worst of the lot. They datelined one of their stories "50 miles west of the desert town of Nioro", having failed to work out that that put them in the sea. They couldn't be bothered to do the trip into the Mali desert (well, it was rather hot, there were no bars, they had no local currency, they had stupidly unsuitable clothes on, they could speak no word of French and didn't bother to listen to the translations provided by the British Embassy...) to get the real story. The entire thrust of their report was rubbish. They were beneath contempt. Radio 4's report was the least inaccurate, and the inaccuracy was a misunderstanding, not deliberately misleading. The ITV TV news "created" an absurd scene to photograph (two Malians, who had been sensibly escaping the murderous midday heat by sleeping under the only bush for miles around, obligingly stood up and did some completely pointless hoeing) and deliberately misrepresented the thrust of the Mali Government's message in order to embarass HMG. I was in my 'twenties; the whole episode gave me a healthy scepticism about anything I read in the Press, or see on TV.

It takes a real effort to get past the soundbites and nonsense. Because there are real uncertainties about some of the data, and some of the causal factors, etc. it's too easy to dismiss the whole "global warming" debate as propaganda. Reminds me of my overweight, under-exercised, brother in law who says "none of the experts agree about what's healthy" so carries on not bothering too much about being 17 stone.

It will be very interesting to track down what, exactly, the research cited by Carled found to be the case.
ski holidays
back to glaciers shrinking.. if glaciers stopped shrinking wouldnt it take decades for anyone to notice as they move at such a sllloooowww speed..
latest report
pam w, I never realised we were related (even by marriage) Embarassed
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON, Glacial.
snow report
laundryman wrote:
Yes, I do believe this divergence may be, at least in part, due to human influence. However, factors such as changes in land use - which affects the earth's albedo - might (to my mind) be as important, or more important, than greenhouse gases.

Totalyl agree. A lot of emphasis is put on greenhouse gases, or "global warming", but I think deforestation is important, as is the amount of pollution we produce (household rubbish as well as gas/solid/liquid from manufactuirng), the amount of wastage, the disruption/destruction of ecosystems, and intensive farming (of animals, fish & vegetation)
snow conditions
What about helmets, wouldn't they protect us from falling glacial ice Puzzled

BTW, 5 degree F this morning, a foot of snow last night, doesn't feel like global warming to me, even though I totally beleive we are fing up this planet and the sooner the US administration gets on board the better
latest report
I'm finding the article referenced all over the internet, but nothing on NOAA site. Therefore I've done the only sensible thing and emailed the bloke in charge of climate change data at the NOAA - maybe he'll reply and let me know their position on the statements!
snow report
AxsMan wrote:
CANV CANVINGTON, Glacial.

please spare me the spell check unless your own spelling , punctuation, grammar, syntax blah etc blah is perfect..
snow report
carled, hope you get a response! (did you include a link to some of the web pages referencing it?)
snow report
I certainly did and I got a very swift reply!

Quote:
Hi... The news article is incorrect when it attributes this to NOAA. It actually is not a NOAA report, but looks like it might have been done out of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

Let the reference-hunting continue...!

He didn't deny it was accurate... Laughing
snow conditions
carled, looks like 800+ websites just repeat stuff without even a cursory check of the sources. (I wonder how many will post a correction, or will it just be ignored?)
Well done to you for actually checking, and to the NOAA for getting back to you!

Time to ask NASA?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy