Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

MIght not be able to use the Vanoise but....

Poster: A snowHead
Just had a letter from our tour operator (Esprit) and they have negotiated with the lift company.
Not only have be got a refund on the difference between the les arcs and the paradiski ticket, but the pass WILL be valid in La Plagne and they will be laying on a coach twice a week to take us over from Plan Peisey (where we are staying) to the La Plagne side of the valley.

A big horray to Esprit.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tizzyb, Coach leaves at about 10am and comes back at 2pm, even the reps there thought this was crap and recommended a taxi. As for the refund you are entitled to it anyway. and the free La Plagne is the lift company not Esprit. We got a taxi @ 20 euro per person. Impressive of Esprit to sell it to you this way but its tosh. wink Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah well......

I knew we were entitled to the refund, hadn't seen anywhere else that the pass would be valid in La Plagne anyway.

10-2 is rubbish for skiing (why have they done it like that?!??!) But to be honest, as I won't be skiing (due to unforeseen bun-in-oven situation) 10-2 is good for me as it means I can go over to a different resort for a long lunch Laughing Do you know where in La Plagne the bus drops off/picks up?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tizzyb, The les Arcs pass is valid in La Plagne for free every day you have paid for it in Les Arcs Cool

The reason,the bus runs at this time is they use it for nursery or its the nursery staff run it? so it is only availble then. It goes from Peisey to Montchavin.

We got Ed the resort manager to arrange a taxi for us. We persuaded 6 others to come and we left 9.15am and he collected us 4.30pm in Montchavin @ 20 euro per person. Great value and worth it at least for one day and Montchavin is the best spot. He dropped us at the lift pass office in Montchavin and collected us at La Ferme du Caesar (bottom of slope near chair). Great day out for skiers, sorry to hear the bun issue. Boy are you going to have an exciting holiday Confused wink Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

due to unforeseen bun-in-oven situation

So the reports in the Daily Mail about lack of sex education are true then
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tizzyb, If you caught the bus at 10, there is a nice scenic route back down to Nancroix, so you neednt be restricted to coming home at 2.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
geri, is nancroix where the 'lobster pots' go up from, or is that the place a bit further along the valley. If so is there a bus running from there?

Boris, Probably true, but I wouldn't know, it's a long time since I was at school!!! It's my third and I think I've figured out how it happens now... Blush
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tizzyb, The lobster pots go from Peisey. Nancroix is further along the valley - near the nordic ski place. Buses run from there to the lobster pots about every half hour, I think.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is the skiing limited in Le Arcs if the Vanoise cablecar isnt working ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris Brookes, depends on your definition of limited I suppose. Les Arcs is a large resort in its own right, and offers a wide range of skiing including gentle pistes above and below the tree line, lots of reds and blues, proportionately more steep blacks than its neighbours that I've skied in and lot sof off-piste opportunity. I've skied there a lot in the last few seasons and still haven't skied every piste and haven't even begun to scratch the surface of the off-piste opportunities.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, and La Plagne is only good for crusin blues wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin wrote:
rob@rar, and La Plagne is only good for crusin blues wink

Yeah, I know. But never mind, you'll have the link to the good skiing back next season.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, Looking forward to it! Just been told in a restaurant that this season is good because the VE is closed so everybody has to stay here Laughing
Looking forward to the innaugral Villaroger challenge in December Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chris Brookes, I spent the week you spent in La Plagne locked over in Les Arcs. Skiing either side is huge. Elements of (forgive me rob@rar snowHead ) Les Arcs is samesy but and thats the thing, but when you go looking there is fun and masses of it to be had. We have been now 4 times to Les Arcs/La Plagne, back again in 3 weeks and we keep finding places we love.
snow report
thefatcontroller, I just keep finding new restaurants Toofy Grin
snow report
Yes I saw the cow outfit Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, You have been in Wales tooo long Toofy Grin
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, rob@rar, question if you had to decide between one or the other Le Arcs or La Plagne Ski area ??
snow conditions
I don't think there is much to choose between them, you'll have plenty to do in either. I'd decide on other factors such as choice of accommodation (eg, ski in/out, facilities, price, etc).
ski holidays
I am going to Les Arcs at Easter and was going to opt for the Paradiski pass, however this is now not an option.

Went to La Plagne last year and spent most of the time in Les Arcs, as IMHO the skiing was better. Just glad I will be stopping in the Les Arcs side of the valley and I for one will not be spending half a day on a coach to go skiing for half a day in La Plagne. This restriction will probably be beneficial to me as I will now explore what is after all a huge area in its own right more deeply, rather than just scratching the surface.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
I don't think there is much to choose between them, you'll have plenty to do in either. I'd decide on other factors such as choice of accommodation (eg, ski in/out, facilities, price, etc).

If we go back to that area i just wanted to know which one i should stay as i didnt really enjoy Les Coches

ps...love the long red runs at La Plagne (the one that goes through the tunnel)
snow report
Chris Brookes, if you've done the La Plagne side maybe try Les Arcs? I think one of the reason you didn't like Les Coches was inconvenience of childcare? If the price doesn't put you off, Arc 1950 is ideally located for skiing, has all facilities (including childcare) literally on your doorstep and is high enough to be resilient if snow is not so good. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I think it's a good place to stay, especially those with families.
ski holidays
Another thing, I was unable to book ski carriage on my 07:00 flight from Manchester, then I received a letter from 1st choice regarding the situation with the VE. I was already well aware of this, but I thought it must be an issue otherwise they would not be informing me.

Worth a letter I thought, I need to ensure that I can take my gear so I might as well use this to get it FOC. Received letter back from 1st choice and they have done just that.

For any other Snowheads in the same situation, I have copied the letter below, give it a try it worked for me. wink

Saturday, 19 January 2008
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxE
Tel:
Mob:
Your Ref
Booking ref :
To whom it may concern
I am writing to you regarding a letter sent to me about my forthcoming holiday to Les Arcs. I was already well aware of the situation regarding the Vanoise Express cable car. The Paradiski area which is the joint areas of La Plagne and Les Arcs is one I know very well and have skied many times.
In your letter you have stated ‘We remain confident that this will not detract from your overall ski experience’, well I can assure you that it will. However I do realise that this is totally out of your control. I would however have expected you to discount the holiday now that the skiable terrain is less than 200km as apposed to the 425 km that the whole Paradiski area offers, which is what after all I was expecting at the time of booking.
What is causing me greater concern however is the fact that I have been unable to pre book ski carriage for my party, it was not available at the time of booking and I was told that I would be able to add it as an option when paying the balance, it still was not coming up as an option at this time. I was then told that I would be able to pay at the airport, however I know that the airline has no obligation to take additional sports equipment if they are not pre booked. Now if that was the case that really would detract from my overall ski experience!.
Taking all of the above into consideration, I think that the addition of ski carriage to my holiday booking free of charge would be only reasonable. This would only be a small amount, but it would go some way to offsetting the obvious disappointment that we will have less than half of the area open to us.
I look forward to receiving your reply within 14 days.
Yours sincerely
ski holidays
Chris Brookes wrote:
thefatcontroller, rob@rar, question if you had to decide between one or the other Le Arcs or La Plagne Ski area ??

We did Les Arcs jan and doing La Plagne in March. Love skking both sides and the Vanoise is a huge attraction for us. Missed it this year. If there was no Vanoise then I would seriously question whether I would invest in the area. I would go 51% in favour of La Plagne to 49% Les Arcs, if the Vanoise was running the maths don't matter as you can do what you want. snowHead
ski holidays
Kel, nice one! Well done snowHead
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Chris Brookes, if you've done the La Plagne side maybe try Les Arcs? I think one of the reason you didn't like Les Coches was inconvenience of childcare? If the price doesn't put you off, Arc 1950 is ideally located for skiing, has all facilities (including childcare) literally on your doorstep and is high enough to be resilient if snow is not so good. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I think it's a good place to stay, especially those with families.

Thanks for that, will consider Les Arcs next year.
snow conditions
thefatcontroller,
Quote:

51% in favour of La Plagne to 49% Les Arcs

Laughing Aha, the truth will out Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin,

To be correct, selective editing on your behalf Toofy Grin You looking for a job on the Daily Express rolling eyes Laughing

Quote:
If there was no Vanoise then I would seriously question whether I would invest in the area.......if the Vanoise was running the maths don't matter as you can do what you want.
Laughing
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, Geat childcare in 1950

http://www.cariboo1950.com/

Linked to the very good ski school in 1950 so they will take kids all day. 1950 can be pricey, worth looking at Arc2000 as a slightly cheaper option and its only a 5 minute gondola ride down to 1950. 2000 or 1950 is a grat location to get out and about the whole of Les Arcs.
snow report
tizzyb wrote:
Just had a letter from our tour operator (Esprit) and they have negotiated with the lift company.
Not only have be got a refund on the difference between the les arcs and the paradiski ticket, but the pass WILL be valid in La Plagne and they will be laying on a coach twice a week to take us over from Plan Peisey (where we are staying) to the La Plagne side of the valley.

A big horray to Esprit.

I don't know if this has been mentioned above but I was told by the people we were staying with that Paradiski offered this without any coersion from travel operators.
snow report
Does anyone know what exactly is wrong with the VE, I read somewhere it is something to do with the coating on the cables. I just find it hard to contemplate how they could have got such a huge project so horribly wrong. Then again I do not suppose they can take any risks regardless of how minimal they may be.
ski holidays
Kel, It seems a new EU regulation came in this year and cables on systems like the Vanoise must be X rayed. It was on x-raying they found rust in the cables. Ok lots of questiosn over why after only 4 years this happened but nothing they owners could do. A plan is in place to fix in the Summer and have open again for next year.

On the other hand they could have left it open and ..................................... Skullie Skullie
latest report
Another way to use the Vanoise Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Skullie Skullie You are better of right clicking and saving to hard drive and then running the video. Its 38MB

http://www.acro-base.com/fr/imgs/galerie/video/videos/paradi-sky2.mov
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy