Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel for a non-skier?!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Good morning all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. My parents are off to Courchevel (1300, Le Praz) this month, Dad skis but my Mum doesn't. She normally manages to pack him off with workmates so that he can spend all day on the slopes with fellow skiers not feeling guilty and she gets peace and quiet! wink

However, this is their first ski holiday together and Mum's a bit concerned about how she can fill her days while Dad is having fun on the piste. Google has not really been my friend on this occasion as all it mentions is skiing at Courchevel!

I hoped you guys may have some ideas/recommendations/links for things to do in the area that my Mum might like to do/visit/see? She is 50 this year, but "young at heart", has a dodgy knee (thanks to her one and only attempt at skiing at Glenshee which was followed by knee surgery a few years later! Sad ), so no alternative extreme sports suggestions please!!

She is planning to get a walkers lift pass and meet up with Dad for lunch some days if he can tear himself away from the slopes long enough! Laughing I've advised to pack a few good books and enjoy time relaxing, but she'd probably like a few ideas of things to see on foot.

Many thanks,

FigJam
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FigJam, I don't know Le Praz, but I expect there are buses up to 1850. There's quite a lot going on there, some (extremely expensive) shops, a climbing wall, swinging bungee thing etc. No, I'm not suggesting she does those things, but I enjoyed watching the kids having fun. Watching stupidly rich people spending stupid amounts of money can also be a good spectator sport; for example I loved the "fur coat parade" in Cortina, even though I was dressed in my £50 TK Maxx jacket. 1850 is good for feeling part of the scene - and there will be absolutely no excuse for your dad not to tear himself away from the slopes for a coffee, or lunch. Some lovely views from the top, too.

But the good books will be essential; I would need at least 5 for a week on my own in Courchevel, or any other resort. After all,the weather might be horrible, and it's not much fun walking round in the rain, or a blizzard.

If she is a bit adventurous she might enjoy snow-shoeing, which is as strenuous as you make it. It's very easy to pick up, the things are cheap to hire and you just strap them on walking boots. Resorts do guided walks, but you can also normally get maps and do it yourself, with a bit of commonsense. A day on snowshoes with a picnic in a backpack can be very therapeutic, though I don't know anything about the facilities in Courchevel for snowhoes (raquettes).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Buses go through Le Praz up to all the other Courchevel resorts, is a cinema in one I recall which shows some english versions of films at times.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
Watching stupidly rich people spending stupid amounts of money can also be a good spectator sport; for example I loved the "fur coat parade" in Cortina, even though I was dressed in my £50 TK Maxx jacket.

Now that is exactly the type of thing she would say herself, so will pass that on for sure! Cheers!

pam w wrote:
If she is a bit adventurous she might enjoy snow-shoeing, which is as strenuous as you make it. It's very easy to pick up, the things are cheap to hire and you just strap them on walking boots. Resorts do guided walks, but you can also normally get maps and do it yourself, with a bit of commonsense. A day on snowshoes with a picnic in a backpack can be very therapeutic, though I don't know anything about the facilities in Courchevel for snowhoes (raquettes).

See, I think she would quite like to do this, but probably happier doing it with other people. But then if doing it with othre people she doesn't know, she'll worried they'll be 20 year old racing off and she'll hold them back/not be able to keep up! rolling eyes wink There is a company offering group half day tours according to the Courchevel website, so will get her to have a nosey at it for something to do.

Thanks for the tips! Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FigJam, the snowshoe groups I see round our resort are not racing anywhere. There are more strenuous outings for people who want to scale the heights, but the sort of "introductory half day" tour you find will not be too taxing for anyone who can do an ordinary sort of ramble. They won't be 20 year olds, either. More likely 60. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Pam W - thanks, have sent her an email with a link to the company's website, will see what she thinks!

Boris- thanks for the reply also. It looks like heading up to the higher resorts is where the action is at! I'm sure the buses are pretty regular. Cheers!

Edited cos I my spelling was pants! Embarassed
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The buses run avery 15 minutes or so and are very reliable and quick, she can also get the Praz bubble up to 1850.

If she got the bus to 1650 there is a nice cafe at the bottom of the piste which would be perfect for a lunch-time meet with the skiers in the group.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FigJam, welcome to snowheads, Great name i wish i would have picked it! It means what i think it does.. doesnt it wink

She could also go down to the villages of Bozel, Brid les bains etc for spa treatments if that is her thing. The buses run for those towns.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Dibblette and skimottaret for the extra ideas. Will be passing these on to her. At the moment she is more excited to be planning our family trip to Whistler (none of us have been before, so we're all pretty excited!) next March because there will be others around and not so much time left "abandoned" on her own! Laughing

Dad is very hardcore about his skiing and is one of those folk who is ready and waiting for the lifts to open and then timing it just right so he's at the top of the longest home run when they shut! wink (Fife-born, living in Aberdeen, we reckon he just wants his money's worth!)

I tried telling Dad I'd make a far better ski hol buddy if he was paying, but he didn't seem convinced?! Sad

skimottaret wrote:
FigJam, welcome to snowheads, Great name i wish i would have picked it! It means what i think it does.. doesnt it wink

RE: my user name, I actually picked it from a list of horses competing at Badminton horse trials a couple years ago and I'd heard the commentators trying to explain what it meant. I like the fact that it's mostly NZ/Ozzies who understand what it means! wink I'm not really that big-headed to think it of myself though, honest! Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
FigJam, was a nickname given to a US golfer by his collegues and i always liked it as it was quite rude but not obvious....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FigJam, and I thought it meant you liked fig rolls and jammy dodgers! Embarassed
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret wrote:
was a nickname given to a US golfer by his collegues and i always liked it as it was quite rude but not obvious....

Seems sports people/fans have a similar sense of humour! Laughing

laundryman wrote:
and I thought it meant you liked fig rolls and jammy dodgers! Embarassed

Every day's a school day! wink I like it for the reason skimottaret gives- cheeky but not obvious or offensive! (I hope!)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
laundryman, have you worked it out.. Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, I had to google it. I now seem to remember someone (might have been Shane Warne) describing Kevin Pietersen as a FIGJAM. That has the ring of truth. Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
laundryman, no fair cheating on google wink i heard it describing Phil Mickleson the golfer who is known as figjam on the golfers tour....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy