Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One jacket to do it all?

Poster: A snowHead
I currently have too many jackets and wanna get down to one if I can!

So I have

a mid weight Marmot ski jacket
a goretex waterproof longer walking jacket
an Oakley ski jacket I use for work as it's looks fairly smart

So does anyone reckon I can get one jacket to do it all?

Needs to be:

Breathable
pockets for hands free lift pass, goggles/glasses
pit zips
not too warm for April spring skiing
warm enough for standing on a station at 8am when it's -3 outside (like today)

Any ideas? Hoping the March sales will reveal a bargain or two!

Cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arc'teryx Sidewinder SV - Into my third full season with this jacket - all weathers all conditions. If I were to buy a new jacket I would buy this again. (For best $ prices, try moosejaw.com or backcountry.com)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try looking for a Gore-Tex soft shell jacket. The Soft Shell had a very thin fleece like lining internally (whilst still being a shell jacket). This means you can wear it with just base layers in the spring or layer up on the colder days. Mammut Limited Jacket looks the absolute nuts but unfortunately has a price tag to match.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BernardC, the Sidewinder SV is undoubtedly a great jacket (got one myself), but it is cut quite short so probably wouldn't be a particularly good choice for some of the multitude of non-ski uses that kitenski has in mind.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree with NakedZooKeeper. Softshell is the option, though they often come a bit closer fit (and getting goggles in pockets may be difficult).

A example of the looks is here:
http://youtube.com/v/E2OTDduPcJU (that's Sharkfin Hood - Haglofs, tested in difficult conditions in Athens last weekend! wink )
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Softshells breathe better, but they just don't cut it in the rain. But this may only be important if you intend to wear it as a winter jacket in the UK.
I use a Goretex XCR jacket for skiing and a Goretex soft shell jacket for mountain biking (where I really need the extra breathing). But I resort to Goretex Paclite if it's raining heavily. If I could only have 1 jacket for everything, I'd choose something with a Goretex XCR outer shell.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The north face free thinker great jacket and if its cold you just pop a fleece under it and in the spring open the vents Shame about the colour though have only seen in it in snot green
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
uktrailmonster wrote:
Softshells breathe better, but they just don't cut it in the rain. But this may only be important if you intend to wear it as a winter jacket in the UK.
I use a Goretex XCR jacket for skiing and a Goretex soft shell jacket for mountain biking (where I really need the extra breathing). But I resort to Goretex Paclite if it's raining heavily. If I could only have 1 jacket for everything, I'd choose something with a Goretex XCR outer shell.

Using it as a winter jacket in the UK rain will be key.....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BernardC, It took me so much willpower not to buy one of those. I love Arc'teryx kit in general though.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
uktrailmonster,

Quote:

Softshells breathe better, but they just don't cut it in the rain

I don't think this is right in general.

There are two types of softshell - ones with membranes and ones without. The ones without are more breathable but less waterproof. The ones with membranes are very similar to goretex but with a different facing fabric. goretex soft shell is a very similar membrane to the one in XCR. It is true that when softshell jackets wet out, they hold more water than a hard shell.

To answer the original question, I don't think you can get one jacket that does everything if by do anything you mean keep your warm - you need layers for this. If the jacket is insulated then it will be too warm for summer hill walking or spring skiing.

If you want a shell jacket to do everything then I would look at the more mountaineering focused arcteryx/mountain hardware/mountain equipment models.

J
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BernardC, got the same jacket. Love it. But use a soft shell for biking. Not sure one jacket will do everything.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski,

Quote:

Using it as a winter jacket in the UK rain will be key.....

Paramo.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski,

Another vote for Paramo.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Paramo looks interesting, cheers. What type of Paramo are you using for skiing, are they "cool" enough for a 15 degree spring day?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What about something like this http://www.tog24.com/Snow_Outerwear_3%20in%201/VERMONT.html

Personally, I like Tog24 stuff, although I have only actuually used the several year old ski jacket I have for skiing once - I normally use it as an everyday jacket.
latest report
Paramo Vasco or Velez
snow conditions
I use one of these which does all you want.

http://www.keela.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_72&products_id=180

Its not marketed as a snowsports jacket but so far no probs
latest report
kitenski, problem: you have too many jackets. Solution: you intend to buy another one. Puzzled
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
uktrailmonster,

Quote:

Softshells breathe better, but they just don't cut it in the rain

I don't think this is right in general.

There are two types of softshell - ones with membranes and ones without. The ones without are more breathable but less waterproof. The ones with membranes are very similar to goretex but with a different facing fabric. goretex soft shell is a very similar membrane to the one in XCR. It is true that when softshell jackets wet out, they hold more water than a hard shell.

I thought the whole point of a softshell was to have a more breathable option? Anyway I've never owned a Goretex softshell yet that does the business in the rain. I find Goretex XCR on the other hand works very well in the wet. But then I find XCR far too sweaty for mountain biking. So both have their uses, but I still think XCR is the best overall for skiing + UK winter everyday use.
ski holidays
Lizzard, men rolling eyes
ski holidays
kitenski, the Arc'teryx Stingray is Goretex Softshell so has the soft fleece lining but doesn't heat up too much in warmer temperatures. Also great at -12 in the Rockies with enough of a relaxed fit (relaxed for Arc'teryx, that is Twisted Evil ) to fit suitable mid layers underneath in such temperatures.

uktrailmonster, the Stingray's seen more than one proper Brizzle downpour and coped with no probs. Been too cold to test this skiing as yet Toofy Grin Goretex Softshell has the same head resistance as standard I thought: something like 20000mm. Never had a problem with either of my previous XCR shells but they were nowhere near as comfortable.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
kitenski, problem: you have too many jackets. Solution: you intend to buy another one. Puzzled

Almost correct, I intend to sell 3 and buy one, thus freeing up valuable space and freeing up equity from the other 3 jackets, bargains r us
snow report
Lizzard wrote:

Two words - women & shoes. NehNeh
snow report
uktrailmonster,

Pro shell is a big improvement over XCR..

and I agree that Softshell is very good for all weathers..until you get really wet weather...which is why I wouldn't have it as my one do-it-all jacket..

Soft shell is great for golf... when you can walk in...
snow conditions
North Face Free Thinker jacket, brilliant and bullet proof!

P.S just well made not actually bullet proof.(i Wish!)
ski holidays
My freethinker is great but as it's cut relatively tight and quite short, heavy rain simply runs down the jacket and soaks your legs from the crotch down. Crying or Very sad

Personally I'd go for a smart work jacket - mac type with a removable lining - and an outdoor sports jacket...
ski holidays
from reading Paramo appear to have a kind of "furry" lining inside, is this correct, and if so does it not become hot during spring skiing?
snow report
You can do it in 2. Softshell with a paclite jacket for when it pours - paclite is so light you'll always have it with you. This combination has looked after me in all weathers and seasons for the least 3 years. Personally, I don't think Paramo cuts it in resort although it's brilliant active kit. Just vary the icebreakers you wear underneath and you're all set.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have the Arc`teryx Stinger - its Pro Shell. Love it, completely waterproof / windproof, and still very breathable.
From the Arc`teryx catalogue - non insulated Pro Shell and Paclite have the best breathability, while the insulated Pro Shell and Soft Shells have the same rating (still have good breathability). Hard to explain better without giving ratings, then I would need to explain the numbers.
Also the both pro shells and paclite have the best waterproofness, while the soft shells isn't as good (still better than virtually all other materials on market).
The only thing left is warmth, and while a shell jacket doesn't provide any warmth, all you need to do is wear a fleece layer, and you are all set.
ski holidays
kitenski,

Quote:

from reading Paramo appear to have a kind of "furry" lining inside, is this correct, and if so does it not become hot during spring skiing?

It's not like having a fleece underneath. When it's really hot it goes in my pack. Mrs Ski just bought a newer one than mine (12 yrs old) - has vents on the arms for more cooling. On mine I can roll the arms up when it's hot.

It is warmer than a shell - but then it's also more waterproof.
latest report
ski, Am i right in thinking that with Paramo sweat just gets 'pumped' through the fabric rather than condensating like a shell does?And they dry quick
After spending a weekend in the 'Lakes' a few weeks ago with 3 mountain leaders i got fed up with them bangin on about how wonderful Paramo is and eventually caved in and went shopping , got myself a Velez Adv smock , a very comfy garment but have yet to try it in anger yet. Gonna try it in a couple of weeks time at Montchavin.
ski holidays
mistermouse, You'll have to look at their website for a technical description - I don't think it gets pumped through, rather around and out.

They are 100% waterproof, and reproof-able (again to 100%). They are a bit warmer than a shell - so you need to plan your layering underneath. Paramo do some neat double sided mid-layer (explorer Puzzled ) which have a furry side (warm next to skin) and a smooth side (cool next to skin) - which go underneath just fine. You can also have them repaired to 100% waterproof too. Best of all - (IMV) they don't look like a ski jacket Little Angel
snow conditions
22 dropout wrote:
You can do it in 2. Softshell with a paclite jacket for when it pours - paclite is so light you'll always have it with you.

That's exactly how I deal with UK mountain biking. But I still prefer "hardshell" jackets for skiing and general non-sporting winter use. Like most people, I simply cannot justify an expensive ski-only jacket. I find ski jackets in general are not much use for other non-snow sports, but they make great everyday winter jackets providing they are fully waterproof. I'm still sceptical about softshells in this respect, but maybe there is something (very expensive no doubt) out there.
ski holidays
JT wrote:
uktrailmonster,

Pro shell is a big improvement over XCR..

and I agree that Softshell is very good for all weathers..until you get really wet weather...which is why I wouldn't have it as my one do-it-all jacket..

Soft shell is great for golf... when you can walk in...

Is Pro-shell a "hardshell" similar to XCR or a "softshell"? Sounds interesting. I've heard of it, but never seen it in real life.
snow report
uktrailmonster,

It is Gore Tex's replacement fabric for XCR and is hard shell although the feel of the fabric is smoother than XCR. Maybe it is trying to bridge and combine the best of both fabrics.

I think it is a very good fabric and works well, IMV especially for ski/climbing pants
snow report
Cheers JT. On that basis, I'll probably choose Pro-shell for my next ski/winter jacket. My current XCR jacket is still going strong after 3 seasons, so that probably won't be for at least another couple of seasons. Maybe there will be something new by then!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy