Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do I go to Canada or Europe for "about" the same money.

Poster: A snowHead
Well that is the flight and the room... Very Happy

Searching around very hard at the minute to get a late deal in Easter for a family of four. Budgeting around all sorts of options since budget is very tight.

At the mo there seems to be plenty deals to Europe for about the 300 quid mark for HB.

Some deals have popped up to go to Lake louise for 11 days, or panorama or Banff for 7 days. Both deals flight, transfers, RO for around the 300 quid mark.

Now I have been to the continent plenty but never to Canada to ski, and quite fancy it.

What does the Snowhead collective think in terms of how they would compare on
a) Costs for lift passes and spending costs on rental, ski school, meals etc.
b) Quality of skiing at that time of year.

As I said budget is tight but if its worth it I quite fancy a trip to NA to sample these Canadian resorts.

Ps I did Alta for 4 days two years ago and wouldnt travel across for that, simply from the family perspective.

Cheers Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Canada deffo.

Exchange rates will probably give lift passes about the same. theres plenty of fresh snow and more falling, lack of queues etc But I dont need to tell you that as you've been before. I wouldnt think twice, only downside is the flight time but if thats not an issue , go Canada. Smile I would go for a minimum of 10 days, but thats my preference, to justify the flight time.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Big difference between RO and half board, when it's a family on a tight budget. However we found (having frequently been a family on a tight budget!) that the cheapest option was a catered chalet. Because it included wine with meals, because you could take your own duty free and buy mixers from the chalet staff, and most of all because you could tell the kids to fill up on breakfast, then hang on till the chalet tea after ski-ing (cake, bread and jam, tea, coffee, ad lib). We used to give ours pocket money for the week, and it was up to them if they wanted to spend that on chips and a drink at lunch time. It's surprising how their priorities change, and planning improves, when it's their money at stake, not yours.

Pack a lot of small "fun size" choc bars and muesli bars.

11 days food and lift passes is going to cost a lot of money, wherever. Lift pass prices are always readily available on the relevant websites,so you can check. I once nearly did a "bargain" 10 day holiday to Colorado. Luckily I checked the lift pass prices before confirming; and went to Courchevel 1650 instead, for heaps less, on a last minute deal.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I went to Whistler for a week last season. Had a great time, but overall, factoring in the effect of the jetlag, then in future I'll stick to Europe if it's for a week or less.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
scotabroad, if you decide canada remember you'll need to add sales tax to purchases (banff is lowest at about 6% in Alberta but other regions are 15%),. then 20% for tips in every bar, restaurant that you visit. I choose canada but not as a cheap option, especially with the exchange rate now.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx, Alberta changed GST to 5% last year, but your point is a very valid one. The hidden costs mount up to a fair amount when gratuities of 15 to 20% are also factored in.

scotabroad, I'm just back from Banff. Whilst I liked both the town and the skiing a lot I don't think I'll be in a desperate hurry to return. Our party found costs to be pretty high overall, as we were hotel based and room only so all eating involved spending. Cheapest full meal out was in the Old Spaghetti Factory, which worked out about $28/£15 a head with drinks/tax/gratuity included - most were in the $35 to $40 region. A tri area lift pass is quite pricey too (although we bought several months ago to get a 9 day pass for the cost of 7 to offset some of that expense). If money really is a major factor to you then I think pam w's advice is worth following.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jmdohanlon, thanks for info. Last time we were there the best value was Old Spag Factory, but frankly once is enough on a holiday. I'm off to Fernie (BC) in 18 sleeps, so 15%(ish) it is.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx, so when looking at the price of any service (food, drinks, taxi etc.) add a third to the ticket price and you won't be far off.

With the canadian dollar strengthening against all major currencies over the last couple of years (from about CAN$2.20 or 2.30 to the £, now around CAN$1.95 to the £) trips there have become significantly more pricey recently. Still a damned nice country though.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jmdohanlon, yeah, but better when its plus a quarter Sad

add a third and divide by two = eek!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx, you won't care about the cost when the snow in Fernie is as good as sharkymark raved on about recently snowHead

Anyway, time to stop hijacking scotabroad's thread. I wonder if he/she (delete as appropriate) have made their mind up yet?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
scotabroad, I would go across the pond, you may never get those deals again
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
scotabroad, skiing in Banff and LL will(almost certainly) be fine at Easter; it was for the 6 years we went there at that time. Panorama has a reputation for being ice prone, and when we went there at Easter, it was, a bit.

I'd choose Bannf for families every time,. It's a great town in a lovely spot, with plenty of restaurants and bars. It gives easy access to Sunshine, LL and Mt Norquay (which will probably still be in good nick as Easter is so early) as well as a few other resorts not on the same lift pass, and although a car is a benefit it is definitely not essential. LL is lovely, but very, very, quiet; a few hotels, a few shops in a mall and the excellent LL Station. Not great for families, in my view. Panorama is a dreary resort miles from anywhere you might actually want to be. It is ski in ski out, though. Wherein Banff and LL are you being offered?

Lift prices in N.America are high. The lift systems are good, and in the (rare) event of queues, well managed. Eating costs are what you make of them. We found Bannf good value, compared to UK rather than particularly to France or Austria. The CA$ has slipped a bit but I doubt that you'll find it pricey. Quality is good, although not ususually haute cuisine; lots of steak, ribs, pasta, yum, yum. Kit hire and lessons (very good in my experience) are much the same as in Europe IIRC.

As you haven't been to N.America, I urge you to go. It's different from skiing in Europe, but great fun, and in our experience, kids particularly love it. We could argue about the merits of N.America vs Europe for ever, but since one doesn't have to make a permanent choice, why not try both? We had 8 great hols in Canada, the kids learnt to ski there, and I'm sure that we'll go back, to Banff and hopefully elsewhere.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 20-02-08 9:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scotabroad. We're off to Banff on Saturday for 11 nights. Third year in a row and no doubt we'll be back next year. Jet lag is a problem coming back and I don't think I'd be willing to suffer it for 7 days or less.

The prices in Banff for food and drink are still good compared to the prices we suffered in France. There's also plently of choice in both restaurants and bars. Accommodation is good and if the hotel says 4 star, it is.

Skiing is brilliant with little queuing. Ski pass, and rental aren't cheap but Ski Club (not Ski School) is excellent, 3 days/4 hours a day in 3 different resorts. Having to take a bus to the hills is a bit of a drag but the scenery makes up for it.

Overall it's quite different to Europe but in a very nice way.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scotabroad I forgot to ask where you found the offers? Could you pm me with the details please.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

The prices in Banff for food and drink are still good compared to the prices we suffered in France.

But a RO deal means buying a lot more food than a HB deal. I think Banff sounds great, and if it were "about" the same price, I think I'd put up with the jet lag. However, the consensus seems to be that Banff would be a lot more expensive, so the choice comes down to how much more you are prepared to spend to go there.

On skiextras, the "discount" lift pass price for an adult for 7 days in Banff (all areas) is £263. Shocked
ski holidays
What became of that comparative list of lift prices we created a few months ago. I thought it was a "sticky" but it must have come unstuck.
snow conditions
scotabroad, I'm just back from Silver Star in BC, Canada - we were there for a week. Canada is fantastic I would go again even if it is just for a week again, Jet lag wasn't too bad especially on the way back (a night flight probably helped).

Lift passes can be expensive and the sales tax (6% in BC) can catch you out as it is not added to prices until you come to pay. Food prices in Silver star were very good and we got well priced accommodation. The slopes were very quiet, virtually no lift queues and the Canadians were very friendly (most of them seemed to have GG Grandparents who came from Scotland).

Choosing between Canada and Europe it would be Canada every time.

Very Happy
ski holidays
scotabroad, pam w's obviously right that a £300 RO in Canada is going to be significantly more expensive than a £300 HB deal in Europe (or anywhere else), as food in Canada is regrettably not free. You pays your money ...; you'll have a different and, I'd expect, very enjoyable, experience if you go to Canada if the budget can stretch to it. You'll probably end up paying a min of £25pppd for the dinner and brek you won't be getting thrown in, probably nearer £35pppd unless you're very disciplined, and you could of course spend a lot more if you're not careful.
latest report
i think (if i could actually afford it) i would go with canada as it's someowhere i've always wanted to ski, but as it is going to cost more in food and the extras you have to decide if your budget is up to it.

when are you planning on going, we are also looking for the easter holidays but as ours are first two weeks in april it is not technically easter but i'm struggling to find anything around the price you have found, there is plenty availability but nothing cheap, maybe i'm looking too soon
ski holidays
charlichops, Iglu are doing a deal at the moment for 7 nights RO in the Swiss Village in Banff (by the Inns of Banff, so about 15 to 20 minute walk from the main town centre) for £299 a head with 4 sharing or about £350 a head with two per room. Mind you, that's flying from Gatwick - no idea if they have a Glasgow option, or do you have other ways to get dahn saarf decently cheaply?

EDIT: departure dates are 2 April and 9 April (IIRC).
snow report
Canada.
snow report
scotabroad, 7 days is too short IMV - there's considerable jet-lag and also the exhaustion of what can only be described as an ordeal of 10 hours in cattle-class.

I can see that if you've never been across to N.A. to ski that £300 11 day deal is just too good to ignore. Good time of year to go to Canada as well I would say.

Anyway - give us an update - what have you decided?

Very Happy
snow report
red 27 wrote:
scotabroad, 7 days is too short IMV - there's considerable jet-lag and also the exhaustion of what can only be described as an ordeal of 10 hours in cattle-class.

Very Happy

I have to disagree.

Twelve of us (including 6 children) travelled to Canada for a week. Jet lag wasn't a major issue, first two days we woke up about 4 am then went back to sleep, after that no problems. Our flights were a doddle, three flights each way - Out Glasgow to Heathrow-Calgary-Kelowna, back Kelowna to Toronto-Heathrow-Glasgow. Longest leg was to Calgary 8.5hrs flying time. Nicest airport was Calgary, worst was Heathrow.

A lot of travelling but it all went smoothly and all bags were checked straight through and arrived with us at the destination.

snowHead
snow report
Sage wrote:
Our flights were a doddle, three flights each way - Out Glasgow to Heathrow-Calgary-Kelowna, back Kelowna to Toronto-Heathrow-Glasgow. Longest leg was to Calgary 8.5hrs flying time.

Shocked We have a different definition of 'Doddle'

Having said that I am a very poor long haul traveller, so maybe the OP will be OK. Still, of the 2 packages to Canada described I'd defo take the 11 day one...
snow report
red 27 wrote:
Sage wrote:
Our flights were a doddle, three flights each way - Out Glasgow to Heathrow-Calgary-Kelowna, back Kelowna to Toronto-Heathrow-Glasgow. Longest leg was to Calgary 8.5hrs flying time.

...Still, of the 2 packages to Canada described I'd defo take the 11 day one...

I agree, more days skiing is always better Very Happy I would have gone longer but was stuck with the kids holidays only being for one week.

snowHead
snow report
I'd agree that 7 days is a bit short for Canada, Having done it to Aspen last year I wouldn't do long haul again for that amount of time.
We were in Canada in Jan and I thought food and drink was expensive. 2 beers in the Rose and Crown $15 + tip = $17, £8 for 2 pints! Food was an average of $55-60 inc tip a night for 2 of us, 2 courses and a few beers. As others have said The Old Spaghetti Factory was the best value meal we had, and great service too. Breakfast at the hills was on average $20 for the 2 of us - 2 coffees, 2 breakfast buttie type things and an energy drink.
Have a look at the website for Banff/LL www.skibig3.com to guage lift pass prices.
Having said all that if you can get to LL for 11 nights and can squeeze a bit more spending money then go for it. You will not regret it, it's a great place to ski. If the budget is really tight then go to Europe half board and then you only need to find money for drinks and maybe a spot of lunch etc.
snow report
I've just come back from a family trip to Canada that was by some margin the best skiing holiday that I've ever had. But, although Canada is for me, it might not be for you. Be careful not to rely on other people's prejudices, mine included.

A Canadian trip will probably cost more although not necessarily by much. Food's cheap - eg chili and hot chocolate in a mountain cafe for less than C$10 - and ski school for the kids is pretty reasonable at around C$70 per day including lunch. Also, some resorts offer free or sharply discounted lift passes for kids (we didn't pay for any of our three children this year) which can be a huge saving. You need to do the maths.

Canada is also further away but, to my way of thinking, it's hard to get to any ski resort in less than a day so who cares if the day's a long one. Jet lag really isn't an issue, so if you want to go for a week then do it.

Practicality aside, there are three huge cultural differences between European and North American skiing. Neither is better; it all depends on your priorities and only you can decide what's best for your family.

The first difference is to do with resort scale and, particularly, grooming. Apart from Whistler, most Canadian resorts are tiny and groomed runs form only a small proportion of the skiable area. In Panorama, for example, you could comfortably ski every groomed run on the mountain in a morning. Worse, most of the groomed runs probably wouldn't even make great skiing because of ice patches, because they're too steep for intermediate skiers or because no-one's bothered to groom them for a week or so. If you want endless groomers, don't go to Canada or you'll be bitterly disappointed.

The next difference is with tough skiing. A typical Canadian resort is stuffed full of double-diamond black runs that simply don't exist in Europe unless you go off piste - which you're unlikely to do with a family. Although you can ski Panorama's groomers in a morning, you'd struggle to ski all the bumps, bowls and glades in a week. We spent most of our holiday skiing deep, fresh powder whilst dodging bushes, trees, cliffs and rocks on incredibly steep slopes. And at no time did we leave an official trail as marked on the piste map. If that appeals to you, go to Canada - I was in the 3 Valleys in January and European piste skiing is pretty dull, anodine stuff by comparison.

The third reason to go west is the quality of instruction for kids. You buy it by the day (not the week) and kids get reassessed every half day. If they're good, they go up a group; if they're struggling, they go down. I've never encountered this system in Europe, but it seems universal in North America and it really helps to progress keen learners. And, because of the plentiful tough skiing, the kids get stretched - mine were introduced to rocks, powder and trees when they were about eight. As one Panorama instructor told my son, "If you don't scare yourself at least once a day, you're not pushing hard enough."

It takes a certain sort of person to enoy a small Canadian resort. I'm that person, but the rest of you probably think that I'm just a little bit crazy!
snow report
Jonny Jones, nice summary of the differences. I think probably the same would apply to any of the Canadian resorts I have been to except Whistler.

scotabroad, for me I would do Canada if it was 10 days, Europe if it was 7.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonny Jones wrote:
eg chili and hot chocolate in a mountain cafe for less than C$10

Gotta luv that transatlantic cuisine... that would sure make a change form Grostl and Tartiflette
snow report
richmond wrote:
scotabroad, pam w's obviously right that a £300 RO in Canada is going to be significantly more expensive than a £300 HB deal in Europe (or anywhere else), as food in Canada is regrettably not free. You pays your money ...; you'll have a different and, I'd expect, very enjoyable, experience if you go to Canada if the budget can stretch to it. You'll probably end up paying a min of £25pppd for the dinner and brek you won't be getting thrown in, probably nearer £35pppd unless you're very disciplined, and you could of course spend a lot more if you're not careful.

You also won't be surrounded by millions of Brits and will encounter the joy of Canadian lift queues (or lack of them and general good manners) - worth the journey alone!

Seriously, try Canada if you have the time, it's a completely different experience to European resorts. As the guys say, you may pay a bit more to get there and buy your own food, but you will get value for money on what you buy - massive chilli bread bowl and a beer for lunch for a few quid as opposed to a dodgy looking sausage and fries for £20!
Not going to get time to go out to Canada this year due to work commitments so will be using Europe for a few long weekends and maybe a late season week, but would choose NA anytime given the choice Very Happy - It's not just the money, its the experience. Good luck!
latest report
Great post, Jonny Jones.
snow report
Quote:

Great post, Jonny Jones.

absolutely. the clearest description I've seen - a real help for anyone making up their minds where to go. snowHead
ski holidays
red 27, we went to Banff for seven days, and suffered no jet lag at all.
ski holidays
Jonny Jonesagain great post, particularly about the kids instruction.
The friends that came with us to Banff had a 10 yr old, he did the ski big 3 package - a day at each mountain booked online before we went, 10am till 3pm including lunch £150. Great instruction, he boards and was the only one so 3 days of 1 to 1 lessons for £50 a day!
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
Jonny Jones wrote:
eg chili and hot chocolate in a mountain cafe for less than C$10

Gotta luv that transatlantic cuisine... that would sure make a change form Grostl and Tartiflette

That was for the kids. My favourite transatlantic lunch is a brownie and a beer - cheaper, quicker and probably more calories too. Just don't tell my doctor.
snow report
Hi Guys,

I have skiied a few places in Europe and have spent quite a few holidays in Banff.

From a perspective of experience, I think Banff and particularly Sunshine Village is superb. For me Banff is a brilliant town, the people are friendly and the food is good.

Sunshine village has something for everyone from nicely groomed green runs to double blacks to challenge the best of skiers, thats not to mention the off piste. The runs are almost always groomed well.

In my experience I have found there is also a massive difference in attitude pf skiers between Sunshine and European resorts. As a beginner who has always travelled with a far better skier, I am far more confident skiing alone in Canada. If you do have a tumble and you lack a bit of confidence, 99% of the time a fellow skier will stop and help you up. This is not something I have really experienced in Europe.

Obviously this is only personal experience, but for me it is an important part of my holiday.
latest report
Out of those deals I'd take the 11 days at Lake Louise for sure. Snow conditions are likely to be better than Europe. No idea how lift passes, food etc would compare. I'd worry about that later! As many people have already said, Canada is a great ski destination. Great snow, friendly atmosphere and generally uncrowded. Long flights compared to Europe, but barely long haul if you're used to travelling.
snow conditions
Quote:

barely long haul if you're used to travelling.

I'd agree with that. But not with
Quote:

No idea how lift passes, food etc would compare. I'd worry about that later!

The OP said his budget was "very tight". We struggled with a family in a cheap catered chalet for a week; the cost of taking a family to Lake Louise for 11 days would have been completely out of the question.
snow report
Well all I can say is WOW! A serious amount of good advice from you guys.

I have used the advice on costs above and also used the links to get proper quotes for the skiing prices. As said in the OP the budget is key. Skigbig3.com were very helpful in putting together a ski package quote with all the relevant costs of lift passes for the family, 3 day instruction for wife and kids, ski rental for kids. Total cost for that part was 1200 quid give or take for 6 days skiing.... The flights and room are about 1200 quid from Manchester for 6 days. I priced up the holiday for 11 days and as much as I would like too, that is totally out on budget. We stayed in the states for a couple of years and used to come back for a week at a time and jetlag wasn't a problem (not for me anyway wink ).

So flight, room, transfers, ski passes, equipment, 3 days of lessons works out at 2400 quid, then grub on top, which overall aint a bad deal.

BUT, and its a big but. After spreadsheeting it (yes I am sad that way) The total costs with the extra money for lift passes and food costs are going to be an extra grand(ish).

I am sure we would have a whale of a time but I really am not sure the extra for a week would be worth it, now if it was just me and my mate going hell for leather down through the trees is fresh powder that would be different, but my wife and kids are early intermediates and on balance I reckon it will be Europe this year and start saving for next year for a visit to the colonies.

Thanks very much for all the advice, costs, locations, links etc its much appreciated. Very Happy
snow report
Ps. I found the deals on lastminute.com - Holidays, skiing, search for 2 adults and 2 kids travelling on the 29th March +/- 7days. Flying from Manchester on the 4th April I think it was.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy