Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amade, Austria

Poster: A snowHead
I've seen people mention Ski Amade in other threads but thought it was good enough to deserve its own
First thing to say is how convenient it is to get there and stay there, lots of cheap flights from the UK to Salzburg, hire a car and 40 minutes later your in the nearest resorts. No fixed saturday to saturday accomodation, lots of good quality B&B's at a great price. No tiny rooms like I seem to end up with in France.

Secondly is the service, I was actually treated like a human being - too often it seems the customer is an inconvenience especially in France. They actually seemed please I was there giving them the custom. This was everywhere I went form the B&B to the lift operators to the waiters in the restaurants to the Austrian people themselves who just seem ...well nice I guess.

The prices were excellent too, with a special mention to the mountain restaurants where for 15-20 euros you could eat very well for 2 people, big mention here for the Goulash soup, dont leave the mountain without it! I'm not especially rich so it made a change from 6 euros for a portion of undercooked pomme frites.

Finally were the slopes themselves, now I was there last week and the dump just before, the clear skies every day and the cold temps probably spoilt me a little as the pistes were just about perfect but the skiing is fantastic for anyone in my ability (intermediate - mostly reds) and definately as good as the 3 valleys last year.

Ski Amade is made up of a number of resorts, some big (Bad Gastein, Schladming) and some very small like Radstadt but all ocvered under the one lift pass. In all we spent a day in Schladming, 3 in Zauchensee (a great playground), 2 in Mulbach, 2 in Wagrain/Flachau and the other days just drove around, saw a piste on the hill and drove to it, parked up, got the skis out and jumped in the lift, if we didnt like it much we went somewhere else.
I would say you really need a car, it gives you the freedom and gets you away from the scrum of the ski-bus.

Another thing to mention is the queues, for half-term it was suprisingly quiet - would love to be there in March - you sometimes had the piste to yourself on some of them.

Before I sound like I work for the tourist board the negatives - the resorts are low so if we were unlucky we could have had rain, there are a few T-Bars in some of the resorts that are unavoidable if you want to get anywhere and a car is really necessary unless you stay close to some of the bigger areas. (in my opinion) You may also find it an issue that many people speak no English, but we found it easy enough to get by.

As you may have guessed though I cant recommend it enough, though one of the joys was that in the smaller resorts we didnt hear one other English voice so dont all go at once and turn it into Val D'isere.

Finally the flight times from Manchester at least meant we could go Saturday to a week on Sunday and get a lot of skiing in on both those days - now 9 days skiing instead of 6 was a real bonus on top of everything else.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Monkfish, ssh. Don't tell everyone!

Where about did you stay? I spent two weeks in Wagrain last Easter and loved it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Austria is my contingency as more France-going snowheads are now turning their attention to Italian Dolomites.

Please say something bad about Amade, like too many German, food too traditional, resort not mega size, too few English skiers/boarders in Apres, too many groomed piste, one ski pass for all not upmarket or exquisite enough, toilets too clinically clean, piste too quiet, motorist needs a vignette to drive in motorway, etc, etc.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
something bad about Austria ...easy

The Final Countdown
Rock Me Amadeus
"Hey Baby"
Mama Mia

on repeat in every Mountain Hut!!!

strangely it kind of worked, it was sort of comforting humming Mika tracks on a T-Bar

Stayed in Kleinarl, small, quiet, beautiful, couple of runs and your in Zauchensee Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Beautiful area. Stayed in Altenmarkt and visited a different resort every day. Full of delightful resorts like Filzmoos, Wagrain etc. We had a car - makes all the difference.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Monkfish, bad music. You need such classics as Joana, Das Rote Pferd, or Zwanzig Zentimeter. Check out http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=747CEA658E8187E5 for them.

Oh and don't forget the Eisbear Wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Monkfish, couldn't agree more. We've had half a dozen fab holidays in and around SKi Amade, and we love it. There's so much terrain it's hard to get bored, and I love skiing different areas every day.

So please don't go there everyone!

D
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Monkfish wrote:
Quote:

I was actually treated like a human being - too often it seems the customer is an inconvenience especially in France.

Yeah, I've noticed this, I've always put it down to the idea that the French are more ready to show their emotions including boredom, frustration, indifference, jealousy, etc whereas Austrians are more reserved and seem to be pragmatic enough to realise that their clientele pay the rent so it's wise to be polite to them.
But, I have also met some very charming French people at ski resorts, it helps if you make (feeble) attempts to speak French, they kinda warm to that.
Must try out Ski Amade some time, my sister and her husband skied a couple of days in Schladming last month, were very impressed, said they wanted to go back to explore more.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Monkfish, excellent post and i'd agree with what you've said.

I've only ever skied in the Gastein Valley and it's a big ski area with plenty of on and off piste to be had. It is a bit more snow sure than other parts of the Amade area too because it is a bit higher. It sometimes gets bad press about the ski buses but i've never had any problems. There's lots of investment in the valley at the moment too. This year they improved the snow making facilities and cut a new ski piste down to the Angertal Ski Centre. Next year they'll be a new gondola above Bad Gastein which will really improve the flow of people around the mountain.

I'd recommend a visit to anywhere in the Ski Amade area. snowHead

EDIT: typos

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 20-02-08 11:28; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I preferred Ski Amade to Saalbach, seemed much more Austrian if that makes sense, prices more reasonable, good skiing, lovely people who seem, in general, delighted that you chose to come visit them. I'm trying to convince my buddies that a sneaky weekend would be a good idea. Also, in Saalbach I was, on several occasions, driven out of bars because of the AWFUL Tirolpop assaulting my ears. In Radstadt I'd either acclimatised or it genuinely was not as bad. rolling eyes

Charlatanefc, Who could forget the Eisbaren?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Eeyore, I loved that little Radstadt/Altenmarkt hill. Great for a day and a half, and Zauchensee 10 minutes on the bus opened up a whole new massive area. Even on the busiest week of the year it was great. The food and drinks were cheap, but odf a great quality. An experience we shall repeat next year. Am half way through my trip report Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Monkfish wrote:

The Final Countdown
Rock Me Amadeus
"Hey Baby"
Mama Mia

Falco would of been 51 yesterday. It's the 10th anniversary of his death so there's a real re-surge going on, 'new' CD's and a film are out.

Now not a lot of people know this but there is a Falco skiing connection ......

Quote:
Johann (Hans) Hölzel (February 19, 1957 – February 6, 1998), better known by his stage name Falco, was a hip hop, pop and rock star. His albums and singles have sold about 60 million copies worldwide. He is one of the first white rappers with commercial success.

Born in Vienna, Johann (John in English) was the only survivor of a triplets birth. Graduating from the Vienna Music Conservatory in 1977, he lived for a short time in West Berlin, singing in a jazz-rock band. When he returned to Vienna he was calling himself "Falco," reportedly in tribute to the German skier Falko Weißpflog

Falko Weißpflog is an East German ski jumper who competed from 1977 to 1980. He won a bronze medal in the individual large hill competition at the 1978 FIS Nordic World Ski Championships in Lahti.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
HERE is a rather superb report involving an American on a recent tour of Austria and the Ski Amade
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, that's really not worth reading. He hated the area. No one would want to go after reading that wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Eeyore, Frosty the Snowman, Must admit, really enjoyed the "hill a day" nature of the area, was definitely something different. As you say, the locals were fantastic, especially that geezer from the Roadhouse first taking us under his wing on the Saturday night and dragging us along to the big locals party, and then the night he appeared with his pal who's baby head they were wetting, and making us feel part of it. The Europop deffo wasn't as prevalent there (altho you lot did miss that night in Flachau), but the music in the Roadhouse was fantastic at times. Would deffo like to go back to the area and see some of the other areas.

Eeyore, my invite is in the post I trust? Wink
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Now that looks wonderful.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, not that's a trip report and a half.
snow report
DB wrote:
Monkfish wrote:

The Final Countdown
Rock Me Amadeus
"Hey Baby"
Mama Mia

Falco would of been 51 yesterday. It's the 10th anniversary of his death so there's a real re-surge going on, 'new' CD's and a film are out.

Now not a lot of people know this but there is a Falco skiing connection ......

Quote:
Johann (Hans) Hölzel (February 19, 1957 – February 6, 1998), better known by his stage name Falco, was a hip hop, pop and rock star. His albums and singles have sold about 60 million copies worldwide. He is one of the first white rappers with commercial success.

Born in Vienna, Johann (John in English) was the only survivor of a triplets birth. Graduating from the Vienna Music Conservatory in 1977, he lived for a short time in West Berlin, singing in a jazz-rock band. When he returned to Vienna he was calling himself "Falco," reportedly in tribute to the German skier Falko Weißpflog

Falko Weißpflog is an East German ski jumper who competed from 1977 to 1980. He won a bronze medal in the individual large hill competition at the 1978 FIS Nordic World Ski Championships in Lahti.

Is there any relation to Jens Weißpflog?
snow report
Quote:
Secondly is the service, I was actually treated like a human being - too often it seems the customer is an inconvenience especially in France. They actually seemed please I was there giving them the custom. This was everywhere I went form the B&B to the lift operators to the waiters in the restaurants to the Austrian people themselves who just seem ...well nice I guess.

This is my experience too. It appears the Austria has pride in delivering the service. The French are just after the money and don't the rest.
snow report
saikee, I quite agree. What I really like about service in Austria is that over there, being a waiter or a barman or whatever, seems to be an actual profession that people respect and take pride in. So you get lots of fab people working in bars and restaurants, and doing so with a bit of pride.

It's nice to see - completely different to here!

D
snow conditions
ami in berlin wrote:

I can't find anything else linking the two.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
ami in berlin wrote:

I can't find anything else linking the two.

Neither could I, but two East German ski jumpers with the same (rather uncommon) last name is quite a coincidence. I'll have to ask the missus tonight.
ski holidays
i really hate living here!
latest report
flangesax, tell you what.....how about we do a house swap? You could come and live in Sheffield and I could ski all winter wink
snow conditions
Just come back, Skiing very good on piste, snow holding up well inspite of warm weather, still some powder off piste if you look hard for it! Its my favorite area, always go 3 or 4 times a year Very Happy snowHead
snow report
hmmmmm rolling eyes
snow conditions
[crash] flangesax, glad you popped up - we are in Zell from this Saturday for a week. I think you mentioned a bit ago that you might come and join us for a ski away day - pm me if you fancy it. [/crash]

D
latest report
Deliaskis, its in the diary - Im off to Ireland from Mon to Thurs so wont be then, but will try and pop over guests/missus depending on one of the other days- might even drag waynos along. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy