Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

T Bars any help?

Poster: A snowHead
Now I am sure you are all going to laugh at my question but if you have any tips (other than give up skiing or take a chair lift they would be appreciated) Does anyone have any tips for staying on a t bar. I can just about manage a small short distance but in Saalbach I spent more time walking to the slope from half way up after falling off the t bar and I don't see anyone else having the same problem - except my husband who I took down with me!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Midnightblue, a few tips: don't go up with someone of a vastly different height or weight from yours; lean in towards the other person and not outwards; and don't sit on the bar, just rest on it very lightly. And nobody's going to laugh, this board is littered with tales of T-bar disasters! Welcome to snowHeads, by the way. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Midnightblue, if you can get on it on your own, whizz the 'seat' round 90deg, stick it through your legs, unwhizz it back again and hey presto it's like a button lift...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
red 27 wrote:
Midnightblue, if you can get on it on your own, whizz the 'seat' round 90deg, stick it through your legs, unwhizz it back again and hey presto it's like a button lift...

not a good idea IMHO. It's gonna hurt if you fall/someone falls infront of you..........
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
red 27, I've seen that explicitely forbidden by signs
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nessy, Yes I've seen those signs too wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

lean in towards the other person and not outwards

I'm not sure I would advocate leaning in any direction, and more importantly imho, don't jam your inside boot/ski against the other person's, keep well spaced.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 19-02-08 17:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Key thing is to make sure that you're 'partner' is someone the same size as you.

Also make sure you don't get on with someone who will panic - that's how I have ended up falling off on most occaissions! It's a real case of 1 off - both off! Sad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Midnightblue, they're buggers, aren't they? I've had some nightmares on T bars, over many years, especially when they pass through the middle of nowhere, miles from a piste and your inside leg feels as if it's on fire ... . The good news is that once you get the hang of them, and you will, they're not too bad at all.

I agree that equality of height (mainly of bum from from the ground) is important. However, don't worry too much about where on you the bar goes; behind the knees works as well as immediately under the bum. Have you tried on your own? Don't worry about the thing being unbalanced, that's not a major problem.

Relax (easier said than done); that I think was the main secret to successful T bar riding for me. Find a T bar that you can fall off with impunity (not too steep, next to a piste) and keep using it until you feel comfortable. The OL and I did that on the old Wa Wa T bar at Sunshine (now a chair). Find a friend and chat about this and that, and you'll soon relax and feel more confident, which seems to be what is required.

I'm not convinced about the leaning in toward the other person, although I do agree that leaning out is a no no. I suggest pretending that the other person is not there, except to chat to. You can use your weight, forward and backward, to find a 'comfy' position and keep a degree of control of the skis, as you do when skiing.

If you start to catch up with the cable attachment, because of a downhill bit, slide your hand up the pole and lean on it, to stop the bar sliding up your back. Snowplough a bit too, but nothing drastic.

Finally, if the bar is handed to you by a liftie, keep your pole points forward and down to avoid spearing him/her in the face (unless you want to spear them, of course).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have a look at this

personally I find riding them alone much more painful than with a partner, because of the inherent "twisting" moment.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
like richmond says Relax
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Midnightblue, steer clear of Austria! and glaciers...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helly wrote:
Also make sure you don't get on with someone who will panic

Good advice, but it takes some astute visual character assessment of your fellow queue-ees.

What to look for one wonders? I guess crying/sweating and other distress signals would be an obvious flag, but what else - avoid the English? No kids? Try to pick those with expensive skis - or judge solely on looks and hope that the 2 of you end up entwined in the powder soemwhere - isn't that how Diana met Dodi?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yoda wrote:
Quote:

lean in towards the other person and not outwards

I'm not sure I would advocate leaning in any direction, and more importantly imho, don't jam your inside boot/ski against the other person's, keep well spaced.

Yeah, you're probably right (and certainly right about the boot) but I have noticed that beginners do tend to lean out, because they think that will balance them better and - depending on how close our relationship is or might be! - I find that giving them a hug usually helps.

I don't mind riding them up alone once I'm on, but sometimes find it difficult, if there's no lifty around, to haul the bar into the correct position to start with - puny arms, I guess!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Midnight Blue if it is the tbar I am thinking of you may have fell asleep it is that long Very Happy Stand on it do not sit with a well balanced stance obviously same height and size partner is a huge help. oh and avoid glaciers
snow report
Probably I'm being dim, but why avoid glaciers? Oh, hang on, maybe because you might be in danger getting back to the piste if you fell off?
snow report
Hurtle, I think because they have more than their fair share of T bars, even in France. I had a very uncomfortable trip on one summer skiing on the glacier in Zermatt. I don't know why I found it so uncomfortable.
snow conditions
Thanks for all your replies at least if I do fall off then I won't feel like the only person this happens to as for not getting on with someone who panics - well thats me anyway - but if I am going to fall off and have to plough through the snow to get to the piste then I may as well have some company Smile . Ordhan you are right it was a very long ride around 10 minutes I think which probably didn't help!
snow report
Midnightblue, did you watch the video? You haven't actually said why you fall off - can you describe the sequence of events ?
snow report
Yoda, what an unfair question. There are more ways to fall off a T bar than there are grains of sand on the beach. Actually, for me, falling off was less of a problem than the intense leg pain I endured on T bars. It's all fine now, I don't know why, apart from the relaxing. I still prefer buttons (if it has to be a drag), though.
latest report
I had to use them the last trip... often with a 9 yr old. Long T bars are no fun when hooked behind your knees Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Go with soneone experienced. he/she/it will be stable riding the lift.
Ask him/her to take your poles for this time, no poles is easier!

When you stand on the left side of the T:
- Grab the rod in the middle with your right hand.
- Grab the end of the bar behind your bottom with your left hand.
- Keep your feet spaced apart for stability, but not so much you push into your companions skis.
- T-bars are cuddly lifts, don't lean outwards, just straight up... and you will be in touch with your companion.
- Relax!
- Don't go with a snowboarder Wink
snow report
Glaciers tend to have a shed load of tbars and drags becuase the glacier is always moving they cant put pylons down that are required for normal lifts. Sass Fee is really bad for it I think that is the answer anyway I am sure there is some geologist on here who will prove me wrong Very Happy
snow conditions
avoid like the plague
latest report
stand up nice and tall, slightly leaning forward into your boots (flex from ankles, not any higher), riding with someone experienced helps, you'll find if you ask in the queue you'll invariably find someone happy to take you up - do this a couple of times and you'll be right
snow conditions
1. red27's advice is VERY BAD.

2. Go up on your own. You can usually do this easily unless its very crowded.
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:

The T-bar between your legs........that's the method all of the snowboarders adopt isn't it? - they certainly were when I was in Finland

From my very limited experience, it's a whole lot easier when there's a lift attendant placing the bar behind your bum.........
ski holidays
Don't ride the T-bar with your husband. It's usually their fault if you fall off. This leads to arguments. I always ride a T-bar on my own, or with a dishy instructor (they are usually on their own). Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Midnightblue, Is it just T-bars,or do you have a problem with buttons as well.I say this because my youngest had similar problems...which turned out to be balance issues.As she was light,she effectively found it difficult to counter balance the pulling motion...and simply got pulled over.This led to a bit of a mental thing,which many seem to develop.The simple answer....practise,and riding the bar with someone strong enough to assist her(me rolling eyes )After a few 'trouble free' rides it clicked,and she now rides them without second thought(BTW..she is 11) Tips...FWIW..
1.Relax,don't panic,and go with the flow.You know it will judder when it goes over a roller,be ready.
2.Pair with a similar sized person,helps balance.
3.Beware the inside ski,if it locks with its neighbour...yer toast!
4.If solo,beware boarders hitching a lift.A favourite pastime of theirs,fend em off with your poles NehNeh
5.Watch the dismount.T-bars can leave you with some force,I tend to hold them and throw them away from me.And clear the off ramp immediately.A T on the back of the head is not funny!
Really,its just another little skill to learn(as if there's not enough wink )Tee's are boring and not particularly comfortable but hey...its beats walking Very Happy
snow report
I reckon,

If the mid-pole is on your right, keep most of you weight on the left hand ski but lean towards the middle. I always muck-up on t-bars when my weight is equal over my stance and i stop thinking about keeping weight on the outside edge. If there are 2 on the t-bar and you are similar size and both do this, falling is difficult

also, think how grateful you are that you aren't on a snowboard
snow report
I've never ridden a T bar, but my Swiss friends taught my kids how to ride them this year and I listened in - their instructions to my children were close to Ronald's, partciularly concerning where to hold the bar if that's any help to you.
ski holidays
I found that riding alone you are better off not placing the bar near your body but try to sit on the very end. The bar bit gets pulled by the rope and naturally pulls from the middle of your body then and you don't get pulled sideways. Needs carefull positioning though!

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy