Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grenoble Airport - why?

Poster: A snowHead
This has to be the smallest, worst equipped airport in the northern hemisphere for the number of people who use it (at least on a Saturday evening....). Not even a proper cafe or restaurant (very un-French). And even less to do once you have passed through security. Not good if your transfer from resort dumps you at Grenoble two hours before check-in. And no helmets allowed in hand luggage. Makes your average provincial UK airport look like Heathrow.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There`s an excellent restaurant before you go through security but probably shut in the evening.

Agree there`s nothing once through security.

Personally, I`d rather whizz through a small empty airport than spend hours getting stuck at Heathrow and filling the coffers of BAA.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Excellent loation - handy for short transfers for Alpe D'Huez, Les Deux Alpes, and La Grave.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I kind of liked the place. Admitedly I flew both in and out during a weekday, but it was so quiet I was left wondering how they made any money there. I would imagine one of it's main attractions must be its close proximity to some good ski resorts. With a hire car outside the airport you can be on the slopes in next to no time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Most Hygienic toilets in the Alps, wont try to describe them but if you've been there you will know what I mean

ADH in 1 1/2 hours by minibus, can't see a problem with it myself

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 18-02-08 23:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just don't have a croque monseiur one you pass through the barriers. Those things weren't made for microwaving.

I once used Sliac International Airport in Slovakia. That's a place to go for lack of facilities, infinately more character though. I loved the fact my passport got checked by the same bloke that carried my luggage from the plane.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well I'd rather use an airport like Grenoble than Heathrow. Used it once so far and no complaints. Very easy to get to, great for LDA etc. A handy hypermarket just been built across the road for supplies before the drive, looks like there'll be a bit of a shopping there in the end. Good little airport that did exactly what I wanted. Using it again in April.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Excellent loation - handy for short transfers for Alpe D'Huez, Les Deux Alpes, and La Grave.

achilles, that's what I thought until last year's trip to ADH. The map and memories of driving there had me thinking 1.5, maybe 2 hours by coach. Oh no, having landed at 9.20 and passed through the immigration tent, the baggage collection marquee and the tour rep meeting teepee, the coach waited until gone midday for other flights, rolled into ADH at 4.30, getting to our chalet at the top of resort at 5.15 Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

So much for an afternoon on the slopes rolling eyes

And the departure bivouac the following Saturday? Don't get me started!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dobby wrote:
This has to be the smallest, worst equipped airport in the northern hemisphere for the number of people who use it

You obviously haven't used the charter terminal at Geneva!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sproggski, That's the TO system - you'd have been quicker by the public bus system - which I have done ( some waiting about at the airport and city bus stations, good cheap buses). Last time we hired a car - luxury, and gave us flexibility at resort - at a price, of course. Last time we flew on Sundays - which aided the calm.

davidof, exactly. The contrast of Birmingham to Grenoble v Gatwick to Geneva was sublime.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dobby, don't blame the airport - blame the TOs! As others have said, use Grenoble any other day and do it individually and there's 0 preblem - in and out in no time flat and the cafe is sufficient for this. On Saturdays with the TOs there it's WW3!

In addition you don't have to arrive and check in 2-3 hours before the flight like the big airports. Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We're going to LDA on Saturday and we're flying into Lyon. I've done this route before going to ADH and also via Grenoble, there seems to be the same level of chaos at both airports but on a much larger scale at Lyon and as the tranfers are longer, I'd much rather fly from Grenoble.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Has Lyon finished its new terminal yet?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

blame the TOs!

We're responsible for any bad weather you experience as well - remember to complain.

The fact that airportsare busy on Saturday is a result of the traditional working week, which leads the world and its dog to want to go on holiday at the same time.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've only done Grenoble twice (third time coming up in March). The main problem I found both times was over departure gates, with the displays saying one thing, the tannoy another, the staff something different again. You might as well pick a gate at random (and if there are several of you this would definitely be the best policy, with the "winner" communicating via mobile to the others in your group). I found Lyon and Salzburg to be equally dreadful in their own ways and from Davidof and achilles' comments about Geneva it seems Turin is the only reasonable Alpine gateway.

Second the comment about Birmingham over Gatwick, unfortunately I go from the latter for my next trip. Last March we had to wait an hour and a half for our luggage at Gatwick because all the handlers were watching an international rugby match...
latest report
Nothing wrong with these small airports, IMV... best in recent times was Southampton-Chambery, good close parking and very quick through the gates. I don't expect massive facilties, just a decent hire-car and you are on your way...

Grenoble is fine by me...
ski holidays
sproggski wrote:
Quote:

achilles, that's what I thought until last year's trip to ADH. The map and memories of driving there had me thinking 1.5, maybe 2 hours by coach. Oh no, having landed at 9.20 and passed through the immigration tent, the baggage collection marquee and the tour rep meeting teepee, the coach waited until gone midday for other flights, rolled into ADH at 4.30, getting to our chalet at the top of resort at 5.15 Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

So much for an afternoon on the slopes rolling eyes

And the departure bivouac the following Saturday? Don't get me started!!!

I think if that had happened to me, I'd have made my own way up to the resort.
ski holidays
Just been to LG - via Grenoble. Used the train instead. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more pleasant, if a little longer.
snow report
Will probably try to avoid Saturdays next year (with possibility of using airport other than Gatwick to fly out of....). Or even driving all the way.....
snow report
I really prefer the smaller airports, even newcaslte is getting bigger by the day. Now Durham Tees Valley is a great airport Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

Will probably try to avoid Saturdays next year

Definitely the right answer, regardless of what airport you use. Southampton - Chambery is bliss on, say, a Thursday. I once landed there and was driving away in my car, which had been parked (FREE!) 40 metres from the terminal door, within 5 minutes of touchdown. And it was pouring with rain all the way to Albertville, which meant it was chucking down the snow a bit higher up. Another 5 minutes to get the chains on. Perfect winter journey.

One of the huge advantages of Geneva is that it is not in France, and therefore not subject to the French strikes - of ATC staff and others.
snow conditions
Avoid Sundays as well - Bristol airport runs out of seats by 7am and queues to enter Lyon terminal snake way out onto the tarmac.
snow conditions
Off to Grenoble March 8th - how long do people think it's likely to be for luggage to come through? Are we likely to have to hang around long?

Ed
snow conditions
truffaut, hmm, but most accommodation is Saurday or Sunday changeover, so hard avoid those days entirely really.
snow report
In my experience it is a lot easier arriving than leaving
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy