Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aftermarket Liners in a Hurry

Poster: A snowHead
Righto bit of a multi-faceted question but please bear/bare with me...

The Info
I have a pair of Salomon Falcon Gun 1080 boots (06/07) that have seen approx 130 days skiing and the liners are trashed. Subsequently my low volume feet rattle around inside and the heels lift quite considerably.

I am about to embark on a couple of ski holidays, the first of which is Val D'Isere on March 1st. I am desperate to get some decent after-market replacements for my current liners before I go, but I want to make sure I get it done properly.

I live in central london, cannot drive, and shouldn't really be taking time off work for epic bootfitting adventures, otherwise i'd head to Bicester or Leamington Spa.

The Questions
Q1 Zipfits or Conform'able foams?

Q2 Where to go for a proper job around LDN (if anywhere)?

Q3 Is there anyone trust-worthy/ recommended for this sort of job in Val D'Isere?

Any help on the matter will be much appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go see, Sandrine at Precision in VD, she's got a great ass and will sort all your problems out. Mention Steve from Footworks and you might get to spank that lovely little French ass. Little Angel Cool
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ScottyGBR, If you can skive off tommorrow i'm off to leamington tommorrow with a mate who is after new boots. Going from Woking about 9.30 ish
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ScottyGBR wrote:

Q1 Zipfits or Conform'able foams?

I've got both (in different boots) and can't tell much difference in foot hold between the two types. Both offer a very secure hold, but no obvious pressure points. I have no idea whether one type or the other offers a longer life, or begins to break down sooner, but so far they have performed pretty much the same for me. I'd go with whatever type the bootfitter recommended, especially if she was French with a cute ass (sadly none of the bootfitters I've been done by in the last 12 months have fallen into that category).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Profeet in London do Zipfits.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I cant see you getting a 'Zippy' in a Falcon. Foaming them too is a bit of a bother.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
I cant see you getting a 'Zippy' in a Falcon. Foaming them too is a bit of a bother.

Why's that?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, Super low over the instep and the graduated shell design means these high volume/presure liners cause alot of discomfort over the foot, or mean it's almost imposible to close the shell when cold. When we do either the shell is put in the freezer overnight to increase resistance. The falcon is pretty hopeless in some instances. The original liner of the top models however, is excellent.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, cheers.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER, given that the original liner is completely shot to crap, is there any aftermarket liner that you think would be suitable?

mistermouse, thanks for the offer, i'd love to duck out of work on a boot-fitting mission but sadly I will surely be fired if i did so.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ScottyGBR, I'd stick with the original or alternatively a top end 'Impact' liner. Stick to whole sizes as there is more dense foam inside than half sizes. More important, are you sure you have the right size, what's the shell check like?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, shell fit is still good - had it done by simon at freeride meribel when i was there last season. I had considered getting foams from the off as my feet are super low volume, but shyed away because of the price (even the tea bar doesn't pay that well). I guess i'm keen to get something that fits really snugly as I'm trying to push my skiing and can't possibly continue with the current car-wreck that is my liner-footbed-combo.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ScottyGBR, Little Simon the Pieman. What's the shell check like? More or less than 8mm?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, on inspection it appears that its more than 8mm but can't say exactly what the check is with the limited apparatus at my disposal... looks big though, much bigger than when they were fitted but maybe I'm wrong?!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ScottyGBR, I think you might be on the comfortable side. The boot has an awesome liner and if fitted correctly should out last the shell. IMO
snow conditions
What're your thoughts on Intuiton liners Steve? More specifically the power wraps?
snow conditions
DaveC, Compared to Palau liners ( the other major manufacturer of thermo-moldable liners) the Intuitions appear to have a more rapid compaction time but better resistance over longer time periods. This means within the first day (or two) of skiing the feel of the liners will change quite significiantly but then stabilise and possibly outlast the equivalent Palau liners. This is, however, the first season the new Intuitions have been widely available so long term tests and observations are slightly limited.

What are the reasons for your questions? Are you looking to replace your stock alpine liner with an Intuition?
latest report
ZipFit vs Conformable vs Intuition
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=64525
ski holidays
ScottyGBR, i don't see a problem getting a zip fit into the falcon shell if the foot is nott to high in the first palce and that the correct model of zip fit is used, the world cup version is pretty thin now, [much thinner than it was in the past] and will go into most boots including full race boots it is case of finding what suites the foot and the space available so whether it is suitable for you remains to be seen
snow conditions
CEM, How many Falcon ZF combinations have you worked on?
snow conditions
NAKEDZOOKEEPER wrote:

What are the reasons for your questions? Are you looking to replace your stock alpine liner with an Intuition?

Basically, looks like either my shell fit is 5-10mm too big (at 15-20mm now, ish), and/or my heel pocket isn't holding my heel down well enough. My stock liner has probably 150 days skiing on it. Got recommended Intuition over at TGR and by the physio here, and got proform prices on a pair of power wraps so gonna give them a try. Hoping it'll resolve the problem that got some input over at epicski: http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=65718
ski holidays
DaveC, Honestly mate, if you've got 15-20mm behind your ankle then you're gonna be waisting your money by replacing the liner. Best put it towards a new boot that has been properly fitted - you ski enough that it is a necessary investment.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, do you know which of the stores in VD Sandrine works in? Going to see if i can drop her an email or a call before i get out there and sort out a fitting session.
snow conditions
ScottyGBR, Precision.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
DaveC, Honestly mate, if you've got 15-20mm behind your ankle then you're gonna be waisting your money by replacing the liner. Best put it towards a new boot that has been properly fitted - you ski enough that it is a necessary investment.

Cheers for the input dude. I got to that number by managing to get the end of a maglite between my heel and boot but I dunno how much it squeezed into my ankle. I'm gonna get the fitter I've been working with here to take a look for me and see what she thinks. Liners are paid for now but could always return them/exchange them if I end up with a new pair of boots. I'm pretty sure the shell fit was good when I got them a couple of years ago in Lockwoods - I wonder if my feet have got smaller?

I think it's on the cards anyway as I want a stiffer flexing more responsive boot anyway, but it's just an awkward time to have to pay for them. Resolving the shin pain issue is pretty key though since I'm planning on instructing next season and spending every day 9-5 on snow, taking a week off to let the muscles recover isn't really an option then Sad
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, 3 this year, all with 10-12mm shell check, using the world cup zip fit no problems after the first 3 days of the liner forming.... BTW i AM talking about THIS SEASONS ZIP FIT evn last years were too thick for this job
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy