Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone back from Mayrhofen? Or going next week?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all,

Anyone back from Mayrhofen that can comment on the conditions? Looking at the webcams I see some green on top of the penken lift, which is worrying me!

We are heading off on Sat 23rd - group of 19 - any other snowHead 's out there?

Cheers,
Nuts
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
green at the top of the penken Mad

im going first of march so await replies eagerly!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was in Mayrhofen during the week 9th - 16th of Feb 08. I stayed in the Hotel Strass right next to the Penkenbahn gondola and awesome Ice Bar apres ski. I didn't ski the Ahorn but skied Penken, Horberg, Rastkogel and Eggalm. I skied all the reds and blacks and a few of the blues, the only runs I had any grief about were red 5 on the Eggalm returning to the Rastkogelbahn which had patches of exposed mud and grass, but no rocks, and black 12 which had a few exposed rocks near the bottom. Felt like crying when I saw the exposed rocks because I was skiing a pair of new Dynastar Legend 8000 Fluid skis, lovely! No damage to the skis though.

It was my first time to Mayrhofen and a lot of people had commented on the long queues for the Penkenbahn before I went, this is probably true if you are arriving at the lift around nine, not that I would know because I was there every morning at 0800hrs for the lift opening and didn't queue once. Being on one of the first gondolas also meant that we could ski red 5 down to the Schneekar, red 27, red 7 and black 17 all before 0930hrs and with only a couple of other people on piste. Absolutely perfect!
It does get a bit busy on the Penken runs at about 1530hrs and caution is needed because of tired skiers and boarders, I got hit in the back by a boarder when I checked my speed on noticing a group of little kids skiing down piste, thankfully no injuries though.

I've been a really big fan of France until now, I skied Solden once and wasn't impressed but a mate convinced me to try Mayrhofen and I love it. Although there is more to ski in the 3 Valleys or Espace Killy, Mayrhofen has plenty to ski and costs significantly less. I will definitely be returning.

As for the supposedly infamous 'Haraikari' steepest slope in Austria, it's a lot of marketing, steep does not mean hard and the steep part is probably only a quarter of the run.

The snow conditions for my week were good, it could do with a dump but there is still plenty enough to ski on with only really low to valley runs starting to suffer. Also the snow making kit in the Zillertal is excellent. You'll have a great time, I wish I was there now. Boo hoo.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gudo216 wrote:

I've been a really big fan of France until now, I skied Solden once and wasn't impressed but a mate convinced me to try Mayrhofen and I love it. Although there is more to ski in the 3 Valleys or Espace Killy, Mayrhofen has plenty to ski and costs significantly less. I will definitely be returning.

I wouldn't be so sure about there being more in the 3V or Espace Killy Smile

There is more that can be reached in one go as it were, because most (all?) of those areas are lift linked.

But the Zillertal has over 600Km of piste on the pass you will have had, it just isn't all lift linked.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alex_heney, that's a fair one. A number of people we met skied Kaltenbach, Zell am Ziller and a few others and rated them very highly. As my room looked right over the Penkenbahn and I was really impressed with the slopes available that could be skied in one go I found it hard to motivate myself for the bus trip to the other areas.

Perhaps next time I'll go for slightly longer and venture further afield. My point though was that I highly rate Mayrhofen and will definitely be going back!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers qudo216 for the report, it sounds promising! Only 1 more sleep to go and almost all packed.
I'll report back after our visit & let you all know how we get on. I'm looking forward to checking out the slopes and the nightlife!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nuts - im going march 1st so get yourself to an internet cafe and update before you leave Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey nick0861, I'll do my best....
Wonder if there is internet access in the Ice Bar! Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nah grolsch would get spilt on the computers!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Grolsch spilt in the ice bar this is a sin Twisted Evil More likley the computer would be danced on by some skimpily clad lady Twisted Evil ! I love the Ice Bar Get plasterd back to hotel dinner, bed and fresh as a daisy the next morning! Nuts Keep us all updated I am heading out there in March cant come soon enough. I want my pizza from the resteraunt at the burton park sooo good followed by an evening of grolsch and Jagerbombs Very Happy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well this place is amazing, weather has been fab but the snow was a little light in spots. Had a couple of inches last night, which helped. Nite life is great, the white lounge is defo worth it for the night out. Think its supposed to snow again tonight, its a bit colder today, no ski jackets were required for the first 2 days. Only thing that has not been great is the hotel, its the worst I've ever stayed in.will post a full report next wk them i get back!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers Nuts best news I have had in ages have been anxiously watching the web can and weather for the past week or two my SNOWDANCE IS WORKING better dance some more. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
three of us going out on 2nd March with one total beginner, if anyone fancies hooking up for a bit give us a shout.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nuts where are you staying and how long are you out there for?

about 15cm is forecast for saturday and about 35 for tuesday!!!!

ollski - i will be out there same week as you. snow forecast is looking ggooooooooooooooooood! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I really hope the snow keeps coming. I'm going out there on the 8th March. On my own, a bit apprehensive about that, but I really wanted a ski holiday. Any other snowHead out there that week?

Dash
snow report
See my little snowdance though pathetic is working will be out there from the 15th. Jordash the snow is normally at its best in Mayrhofen in March but it does get a little slushy in the afternoon Sad But there is always the Glacier Very Happy
ski holidays
Jordash,

good timing - the forecast seems to be showing plenty of snow all week for next week - should be good by the time you are out there!
snow report
Excellent stuff, really looking forward to it now. Can't wait to get a proper break from everything and go and have some real fun.
snow report
We get there on the 8th for a week - staying up the valley between Mayrhofen and Hintertux a couple of 100m from gondola. so hopefully snow down to accomodation/lift base won't be a problem.

Can't wait - snow snow snow!!!
ski holidays
Blue skies again today & no sign of snow. We are staying in aparthotel alte post and leaving on sat. They didnt have all our rooms on the 1st night & the place is a kip, we booked 3* accom but the owner told us it is zero star, so more like a hostel. Snow is better around the back of the mountain, a bit icy on some of the shaded runs. We've skiied from the penken every day, plenty there for us we like the cruisy blues...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy