Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding Type/Mounting

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
How much does the choice of binding effect the feel/handling of a ski?(race bindings on a freeride ski sort of thing or vice versa). Also how does the use of plates as opposed to direct mounting change the ski, what way is better for what conditions ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mistermouse wrote:
How much does the choice of binding effect the feel/handling of a ski?(race bindings on a freeride ski sort of thing or vice versa).

Assuming that you mean alpine bindings then the actual make/model of the binding's toe & heel pieces aren't going to make a difference in feel. Race bindings just tend to have higher DIN ranges & are stronger with more metal & less plastic that'll make them a bit heavier. Some race bindings have also have an option to block off the vertical toe movement but that's not an issue for us mere mortals. I use a 8-16 DIN (race) bindings & apart from being a couple of ounces heavier they ski & feel the same as the 412 version.

mistermouse wrote:
Also how does the use of plates as opposed to direct mounting change the ski, what way is better for what conditions ?
This is were there is an affect. Flat mounted bindings won't alter the flex of the ski but a rail/plate mounted system can, depending on the type of rail/plate. Many 'hostage' bindings that come ready mounted on skis are on some form of rail but these tend to add very little stiffness as they're made of flexible plastic & some, like Atomic's Neox & Tyrolia's Railflex systems, as designed to allow the ski to continue to flex under the boot.

It is possible to add mounting/riser plates to flat skis to give added lift, the VIST range of plates. These plates are available in a number of models choice from very bendy plastic which add no stiffness & very littel weight right through about half a dozen models to aluminium/steel plates that you just can't bend over your knee & weigh about 700g each. If you mount this type of plate on a pucka factory raceroom ski then you'd probably not notice the additional stiffness as the ski is so damned stiff in the first place but mount it on a nice prgressively flexing freeride ski & you'd notice the additional stiffness straight away.

One thing to remember when using flat mounted bindings is that the ski boot sole is not flexible so that is in effect adding an element of stiffness.

The other major affect of a rail/plate is the added lift. This gives additional leverage for quicker edge to edge speed & puts the boot more over the edge when the ski's tipped for greater pressure/hold. The added height also prevents 'boot out' which is when the sides of the boot hit the snow when the skis are cranked over.

Lift is considered an advantage on piste skis & racers have a lot (approx 50mm) & the FIS limit the amount possible. Lift is considered a disadvantage on wide skis in deep powder as it adds unwanted leverage & can lessen the feel from the ski. There's then a big grey area in the middle. I've just flat mounted my new fat skis (104mm underfoot) but I've added 7mm plastic shims (no stiffness or weight) to give just a tad of lift as it's a wide ski to get on edge when on-piste.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers , i think your reply covered my question well. If a binding doesn't really affect the handling of a ski what is the purpose of things like Markers 'Piston' on their bindings, are these just gimmicks to help people part with their cash and just how good would you have to be to notice their difference??
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mistermouse, sorry, forgot to reply to your piston question. Marker's piston system is similar in function to Head/Tyrolia Chip system & AFAIK these are the only two types on the market that are designed to alter the feel of the ski. Marker's piston is designed to a shock absorber & makes the ski slightly more damp than it otherwise would be. The earlier models had a lever just in front of the toe piece so the piston could be turned on or off but I don't think that's available now so you either get the binding with or without the piston. My mate's got a pair of K2 Axis KT's with the M12's with the on/off switch for the piston & he says that you can tell the difference but he just leaves it on all the time.

Here's a timely thread re Head/Tyrolia Chip system: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=36620

One other advantage re some of the rail mounted binding systems (VIST, Neox & Railflex) is that they allow some fore/aft adjustment of the binding position which does make a noticeable difference to how the ski performs.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon, Thanks for your answers . After the death of my Stormriders i was thinking of using the Marker 14 piston binding on my next skis rather than buying new ones. Cheers
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mistermouse, this is an equipment based sport & expenditure on new gear should be maximised at every opportunity. GET WITH THE PROGRAMME! rolling eyes

PS, High Society FR skis & VIST bindings currently available on sale wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy