Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thomson Ski rep just called

Poster: A snowHead
Thomson Ski rep just called from Canada offering discounted liftpasses over the phone. Never happened to me before, so I am a bit suspicious of handing over my card details, they normally collar you on the transfer bus, anyone had this happen before?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
that sounds just incredibly dodgy - never heard of anything like that, but anything involving the term 'credit card details over the phone' i would be hugely suspicious of.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
luigi, Shocked Shocked Never give card details over the phone Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah I know, that's why I didn't do it there and then. He's calling back later this evening. Was going to check with Thomsonski Customer Services to see whether this is normal practice, before I went ahead.
The price is cheaper than ticket window prices but similar to Americanskiclassics prices, except they wouldn't sell me them as I wasn't using them for any other travel arrangements.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If it's the same rep that'll be meeting you on your holiday i'd just tell him that you'll see him on the transfer bus or in resort. Even if the price is $30 more, it's worth that for peace of mind.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
Never give card details over the phone

Is a bit extreme. OK, certainly never give them to someone who contacts you unexpectedly out of the blue, but personally I do card details over the phone a lot. Renewing, or buying, insurance, electricity, etc etc. No different from putting them on the internet for flights, cars, skis, etc. Some people would never do that, either, but it's difficult to avoid. If it's usefully cheaper, why not telephone them back, and make sure they give you a kosher Thomson number.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If Thomson approve credit card sales of this type (presumably they sell holidays over the phone taking credit card deposits and payments) and your credit card supplier underwrites your protection (I think the Consumer Credit Act guarantees this) you should be fine.

I assume this rep had your phone number via official channels, so it sounds kosher to me.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The price offered was £132 for a 4 out of 5day Tri-area pass, normal price C$308 (£156) or $323 (£164) as some of the days fall in the peak season dates. Americanskiclassics would have done it for £130, but they said the resort wouldn't let them sell to me.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just spoke to Thomson/Crystal, said it was normal to receive a courtesy call from a resort rep offering ski packs/ liftpasses. Suggested not to give card details over phone. To be fair , he didn't ask for card details, we didn't get that far in the transaction, I was just assuming that would be the deal. I guess there's no problem in booking if I can pay on arrival.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
How can you live a normal western lifestyle wihout giving card details over the phone?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
By buying a horse and a ten-gallon hat, and sitting round a campfire eating baked beans
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Goldsmith, sounds enjoyable enough, although I'm only allowed beans occasionally.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Goldsmith, ha! Great film Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith, the ways of the old West never die! Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Slightly off the topic. Especially as you don't know for sure he was going to ask for card details but anyway thought I'd butt in as it's one of my pet gripes.

I hardly ever give my credit card number over the phone, I would much rather enter it on e secure website. At least with an online transaction your details are encrypted beofre leaving your computer, and (in theory) another human does not have to hear or see them.
Also its much more preferable than handing your card to the greasy looking bloke at the local curry house for him to take it out the back and write down all your card details and/or stick it through a cloning machine....

I would never give my card details to someone who had called me, I would (and have) take down their number and verify it either by calling head office or looking it up in yellow pages.

In fact my mortgage provider once rang me and to verify my identity started asking for my date of birth, mother's maiden name etc. I told them I was not happy to divulge this information over the phone. They were suprised, but they would be the first to complain if I'd been a victim of fraud having told someone my persnal details.
snow report
If we had fewer cowboys there wouldn't be these problems
ski holidays
luigi, Every time we've been with Crystal (same co as tomson) we've had a call from the rep in resort advising of current conditions etc and asking if we have any queries. They have also asked us if we want to sort lift passes over the phone, which I did but didn't have to pay until we were on the transfer bus. The price was the same though, no discount.
ski holidays
luigi, giving your credit card details to someone in a Thomson office is one thing - gving thenm to the rep another matter. At the Thomson office they should comply with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard, and be trained to do so. To be fair, the few experiences I have had of Thomson as a TO have all been good - so I suspect the rep would not have asked for the details over the phone.
snow conditions
I have a customer who rings and orders stuff over the phone, she whispers me her card no. down the phone in case anyones listening Shocked
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy