Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need help on ski selection:

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
New skier from NC. Have skied 30 days out west in last 2 years. 6'1'', 195. 46 yrs old, but athletic and fit. Aspire to be advanced all-mountain skier (ex. Vail would be prototypical mountain to "conquer"). Will stay on-piste. Skiing preferences: First love to scream down cruisers, slalom and GS turns. Second love to blast the bowls (struggling, not there yet) Third, to become (at least) proficient in the bumps. Need to blast through crud on a stable platform . Mostly want to ride hard but also need to ski laid-back at times with girlfriend who is more tentative and slow. I have custom ("conformable") Lange high-performance boots.

Recently skied Volkl AC40 Carbons at 184cm (82mm) for 10 days. The idea was to have max platform, speed, flotation etc and develop into these ski's. Love'em, but feel length and un-forgiveness may actually be holding-back my development (maybe should have been riding the 178's?). I want the absolute best ski's to enhance my development and ability, without consideration of price. Now thinking Stockli Stormriders. Specifically, XXL (in 178?) or XL (174?).

Ski questions: What is your comparative analysis of these two ski's given my bio? How is flex compared between the two, and compared to the AC40's? I've heard the Stockli's ride more in the snow(?) ... what is the resulting impact, feel as compared to AC40's? Net impact of top-sheet vs. sandwich construction?

Binding questions: What binding set-up for the two ski's? Markers have been overwhelmingly recommended by the ski shops - Marker Duke's, Jesters, motion control etc. Have heard that piston control is not necessary(?) What is the downside of piston control, if any? Would I want "risers" to enhance carving? "Plates" etc? Last, do you think I'm focusing on the wrong ski's?

While understanding the many variables and subjective nature of choosing skis, I have received a lot of inconsistent info and recommendations. Binding options have been particularly confusing. I would really, really appreciate any advice you pro's have for me. Thanks for your time and consideration!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sammykey, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
I've got Stormrider XL's in 184cm. I'm 6'0" 90kg and 44 yrs old. They absolutely rock. They'll ski anything at any speed you like, but preferably fast. Your technique has to be pretty solid, or they'll bite you, you have to physically get off of the old edge to start a new turn because they just will not let go of the edge, the grip is phenomenal. Very Happy Haven't tried the XXL's, but I have skied the Head Supershape Magnum's another great ski, but better suited to shorter turns on piste than the Stormriders. I've got my Stormrider mounted with Look P14's.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
XL's are great skis...you might be able to use the 174 if you stay on-piste all the time. The 184 is a better bet only if you want to dabble off-piste, with your stats.

I would throw in the Movement Spark as this has the same sort of edge hold and rails hardpack, is wider at 82mm so is good in the deeper snow...and at 182 allround more manageable. I feel the lenghts of the XL will be more critical whereas the Spark is just a great all round ski...and I mean great, IMV.

I turned down the chance to demo the new line-up of XL's/XXL's as the Spark was so much fun. I was skiing deep snow so wanted the 82mm waist. I would have gone wider had a worthwhile option been avaibable..like the Gladiator or Thunder. I was in Switzerland so Swiss -made skis were the norm...and no problem with that

Both Stockli and Movement make very good skis, IMV
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sammykey, Welcome to snowHeads.

You won't go wrong with the Stormriders.

Re binding choice. Stick to conventional alpine bindings (so no to Dukes or Jesters) as you're not skinning. Lift in the binding is really helpful on a piste ski, in fact most piste skis come with a lift plate/binding combination all from the same manufacturer so you don't get much choice. If you do find a ski that's available in the flat (like the Stockli's) then you can add varying heights of lift under the binding. Lift is less desirable for off-piste use so if you add some don't add too much. I've just mounted my all mountain skis & put 7mm plates under the bindings which will help to get a wide ski (104mm underfoot) up on edge on-piste but isn't high enough to be a problem off-piste.

You're a reasonably big guy so I'd recommend a higher quality binding (ie more metal less plastic for durabilty etc) & you're probably going to need a 6-14 DIN range. Marker's get a bad rep from high end skiers re pre-releasing but if you go for Volkl or K2 skis then you'll most likely to get Markers with 'em as K2 owns both Volkl & Marker. Personnally I'm a big fan of VIST bindings which are a race derived binding & are absolutely bomber but availability might be patchy in the US. In Europe VIST partner with Stockli & you can order the XL's with VIST plates/bindings all ready to go.

If I was mounting Stormriders & couldn't get VIST's then I'd go for a top end Salomon (914) or a Tyrolia (Mojo 15) binding.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy