Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Year 2008 Help please!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Hello fellow snowheads! Please help me! Just returned from a week in Bansko Bulgaria and hated it - what a awful place, has nearly made me hang up my skis for life! Was massively overpriced and very very busy with hour and a half gondola queues. I am a timid intermediate and got bumped hit and completely taken out no end of times so my skiing confidence has been knocked massively.

My husband and two kids are much better keen skiiers and are trying to persuade me to go skiing again at New Year. can anyone suggest a resort where the snow will be good early on in the season, where there will be plenty of nice blues and greens for shaky old me where it wont be so busy and I will have some room to practice and get my confidence back? Also need some more challenging stuff to keep hubbie and kids hapy as well. Fancied Kaprun/Zell but would consider a ten dayer in Canada if it meant no crowds and some not too steep pistes for me! Is there such a resort?
I guess the answer is to not go in school hols but is difficult with teenage kids doing GCSE's. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jennyski, I presume that you mean New Year 2009?

I've not done Zell at New Year, but love the resort. I've just got back after doing 1/2 term there, and it was quite busy. It would be a great place for you though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jennyski, orry to hear about Bankso. Sounds awful.

Anywhere high in France but as you say new Year is probably the most expensive and busiest week in France Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well, aiming to go around 27 Dec 08 through into New Year 09. Why would it be good for me - are there plenty of runs to keep me comfortable whilst more challenging stuff for the family? Bansko was just so mad I wanted to come home on day 2 and I still have a badly twisted knee as the main 6k run back to the village was like Paddington Station at rush hour!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jennyski, Zell has some really nice blue runs (they don't do green there) that would be good for you, and a couple of challenging blacks. It also is a really nice town in which to spend time. The downside to Zell is that the resort runs are quite steep.....but loads of people take the gondola down, so you wouldn't be alone in that.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jennyski, Canada may well be pretty cold at that time of the year. And New Year can be busy anywhere, Europe or N America - especially if there is a major city within 2 hours drive. Lake Louise has a reasonable range of pistes. Generally I have had way less in the way of queue problems in N America than in Europe. I will be in Jackson Hole (yet again - sorry to be boring) next xmas/new year - but probably not the place for you yet. Sometimes there were 5-10 minute queues this year... on public holidays only.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys for the info so far - can cope with 5-10 min queues no problem a all. Quite fancy the 'atmosphere' of Austria over xmas/new yr too for the children so am really fancying Zell or Kaprun - is Kaprun likely to be quieter? Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not sure how Kaprun would be compared to Zell......have you had a look at the "tell me all you know about Zell am See" thread? you may get better answers on there.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok.. thanks will have a look
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have been looking to book for the same week and am struggling even now.

A : I don't want to do a package
B : Private catered chalets only want to rent the whole place out to a group
C : Private apartments are either booked already or are being used by the owners

Any advice or suggestions anyone
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jennyski,

We tend to have many family groups of a similar make up and they certainly find the variation and the options of skiing in Superbagneres, Peyragudes and sometimes Baqueira Beret suitable for mixed ability groups. There are rarely queues and even better the prices are usually a third to a half less than the Alps.

If you would like to know more either about us or the area then please feel free to check out our site: www.peak-times.com
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kel, Any particular reason why you don't want to do a package?

DIY makes sense if you can make it cheaper, or if you want to go somewhere the package operators don't, or if you want awkward times (i.e. not 1 week Sat-Sat or Sun-Sun).

But otherwise there is no reason to just dismiss a package.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dismiss a package I have been on 2 already this year and I am going on my 3rd at Easter, did 3 last year and 4 the year before. So it's not like I don't know what I will be getting. Just want to do something different for the New Year that's all.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ski Guide, Thanks very much for the info we will certainly have a look at that. We are also considering Serre Chevalier and Obergurgl - if I can be persuaded!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would add Alpe D'Huez to the mix. Loads of greens and blues, as well as challenging terrain for pretty much everyone. Varied terrain if you explore it all. For apres-ski, two swimming pools (one outside), table tennis, tennis, a good selection of bars etc. I'm a recent convert to this resort, I will definitely go back.
ski holidays
We were in Serre Chevalier the week before last, very impressed by the "friendliness" of the skiing - apart from some unpisted mogulled blacks nothing was at all intimidating, and lots of easy blues and greens. It was not at all crowded when we there, but we were outside of school holidays.
ski holidays
How about Obertauern? There are some reports here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=20841 and if you do a search you'll find more. It has a long season - November to May I think, reasonably snow-sure as pretty high, and the lower slopes would be suitable for someone gaining confidence, with the higher slopes suitable for better skiers. Being Austria there aren't any greens but there are some nice gentle blues. I would definitely recommend the Hotel Schneider there as probably the best hotel I have stayed in Very Happy
snow conditions
cathy, Thanks for that suggestion have seriously considered many resorts and have now booked Banff for New Year, flying on New Years Eve am excited already!! Thanks Snowheads for all your suggestions, am going to try and arrange some private ski instructio to help my confidence. Smile
snow conditions
I went to Banff at New Year and found that the gondola was very busy at Sunshine and it was really really cold, -20 at the bottom of the mountain. Saying that the skiing was brilliant and Banff is a lovely place.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy