Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telemark edge and lead change timing

Poster: A snowHead
I had a great lesson with Richard today at Milton Keynes and had a bit of a breakthrough with my telemarking. Whilst my telemark turns are basically ok, I’ve been struggling getting from one turn to the next. The result was very “park and ride”, lacking any flow and absolutely knackering.

So, today, Richard decided to do a little turn “retiming”. The effect of which was instant and huge. And I reckon anyone who can alpine well could do this – so I thought I’d try to explain what he had me do.

Take two connected turns. Richard pointed out that at the start of the turn you are progressively unweighting the skis and in the second half of the turn you are progressively weighting them. Like so…

Now what I’ve been trying to do is what is shown in the next diagram…

…lead change before the end of the turn and edge change half way through the lead change. The problem being that I’ve been trying to initiate a lead change when my skis are near their most loaded. And half way through lead changing – when I’m at my most unstable - I’m trying to edge change. Not good.

His simple tip. Edge change. Then lead change. Like this…

…the result of which is that you start the next turn fakie. But with the inbuilt alpine skills that I’ve got that’s fine. The act of changing edges unweights the skis and makes the lead change a doddle.

The difference is, quite frankly, amazing. And far, far less knackering.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds useful - can't quite get my head around the fakie thing after I've been trying so hard to get the little toe edging working on my back foot but I need to try on skis. Sounds like it should link turn to turn quicker.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't know if this helps fatbob, but...

If I was turning left then my right foot would be lead. With my right foot still in front then I flatten the skis and edge change (which is quick) to turn right. I'm momentarily fakie at that point. Then and only then do I lead change.

Interestingly, now I understand this, I'm seeing all sorts of stuff that says a good all mountain telemarker lead changes in, not across, the falline.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
way to advanced pour moi... was it one of the group sessions at MK? if so how was it?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It was one of the "group" sessions skimottaret, but I was the only person in the group. So it turned into a two hour private.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you try to lead change across the fall-line you aren't telemarking you are surviving...the only exception is when you are blasting down a wide piste and you are edging every turn without a loss of speed, even then you are pointing the turning ski (the downhill ski) into the fall-line. Pressure the lead ski with about 80% ( I don't go for this 50/50 crap, it just isn't possible) and get your weight over that lead leg to give you counter rotation. The weighting and unweighting is no different whether you alpine or tele. Try to get your legs as wide as possible...this might seem really strange but believe me your legs are never as wide as your think. Wide legs gives you much more stability and allow you to get the skis turning much more easily, weight transfer is much less challenging. Oh and remember to open up your stance, don't crouch, this does nothing for your breathing and makes you too low in the stance - remember too low = go slow, nice and high = you'll fly. Get this right and you will find your tele experience is much less exhausting and your turns leave pretty tram lines in the snow (unless you are in the pow-pow). Enjoy

Andrew
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TelemarkKing, good tips
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks TelemarkKing.

I will, of course, be cursing you when I try to implement this in 9 days time snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry, I simply must disagree (however if it works for you, I apologise... wink )
Quote:
Pressure the lead ski with about 80% ( I don't go for this 50/50 crap, it just isn't possible)
once you get into the deeper, fluffy stuff you'll regret the above.

Just to resurrect an earlier post, which will help you get the feeling of using the back ski more...
Quote:
my favourite training exercise - noLeadChange turns(16Mb) (mono-telemark on the vid)

Thought it might be worth elaborating on this, as it really helps get the mindset into tele rather than alpine (since presumably we're all getting into free-heel from an alpine background - no problem with that, as I ski both).

As alpine skiers, we tend to get too much weight on the downhill (lead) ski and leave the back ski flapping round doing nothing (probably with your back foot on tip-toes). Not good - especially when you get into powder or crud - well you do need to experience a tele-face plant wink

The training exercise of turning tele/parallel without lead-changes helps with getting the feel of using the edges on the back ski for control..

1. Imagine you're turning to the left in a parallel turn - uphill (left) ski is advanced - downhill ski is weighted with weight on the inside (big toe) edge.

2. Now unweight & sink/steer across the hill into the next turn (no lead change) - the left ski is still advanced but is now the downhill ski, and we're in a tele turn.
As alpine skiers we would expect to have this ski weighted more than the uphill ski - WRONG. In tele the back ski should have more of the weight (or be equally weighted)

to continue...
3. Now in the tele-turn going right, the lead (downhill - left) ski is advanced, but try to keep the back ski under yourself & focus on weighting its inside edge (little toe)

4. Unweight & steer into another left - parallel turn

5. The sequence becomes left Parallel:- weight on big toe of right ski - right Tele:- weight on little toe of right ski, and as you link turns you can really feel how (in this sequence) its the edges of the right ski which are controlling the turn.

Don't forget to do the same exercise the other way, skiing parallel right/tele left to get the feel of using the left ski to control the turn. When you've stopped having fun, link left & right tele-turns & feel the difference!

Think of keeping your heel as low as possible on the back ski - you can only achieve this if you keep the ski weighted and under you.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Couple of comments that were made when I was having dificulty doing tele turns on track skis on our plastic downhillslope at HNOC.

It was noted I was not getting my front knee over my toe enough ( ie not enough ankle bend), and when I tried to get my front knee further forward I was then un-weighting the back ski.

So since then I've been concentrating on getting more ankle bend on the lead foot to keep the knee over the toe, whilst keeping the back leg tucked under me so I'm still maintaining pressure on the back ski. Seems to have helped a lot as Ive been finding it easier to tele turn on steeper stuff recently.

PhillipStanton,
I'll have a think about your first post and try it out next time I manage to get out on snow (when is this wind going to ease - blowing a gale at the moment and the forecast for the weekend is not good), as I think it may help my skiing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bung hole over back heel is the Allen & Mike's tip I believe. I bow to Telemarkking's experience - after all I certainly don't race FIS tele but 80/20 sounds like a squirrelly back ski even if thinking 50/50 gets you to 80/20 in practice.

Like the too low too slow tip - I'll use that as an excuse for being a lazy barsteward.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dave Horsley - it's made a heck of a difference to my flow (i.e. I've got some now!).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
geoffers wrote:
Sorry, I simply must disagree (however if it works for you, I apologise... wink )
Quote:
Pressure the lead ski with about 80% ( I don't go for this 50/50 crap, it just isn't possible)
once you get into the deeper, fluffy stuff you'll regret the above.

You obviously aren't skiing fast enough NehNeh - who needs edges in powder anyway? Pressure stays the same whether you are on or off piste, besides no-one can guage exactly the weight distribution so it has a lot to do with feel - if you are pressuring the uphill outside edge though with equal weight you will be unsteady when going slow in the pow. Question - How can you flex your rearward ski when it is pivoting like a counterbalance? I appreciate that you have to pressure the outside edge by pressuring the little toe but it is virtually impossible to get 50% on it unless you are weighted incorrectly. Try this in your sitting room. Stand in a tele stance (weight the back foot little toe and the front foot big toes (the egdges))and try to exert 50/50 without losing your balance and falling on your back bottom - the answer - virtually impossible (unless you are from Billy Smart's Circus). You simply cannot put only 50% on your front foot - if you are teleing properly the majority will be forward and over the leading ski.

geoffers wrote:
Just to resurrect an earlier post, which will help you get the feeling of using the back ski more...
Quote:
my favourite training exercise - noLeadChange turns(16Mb) (mono-telemark on the vid)

Thought it might be worth elaborating on this, as it really helps get the mindset into tele rather than alpine (since presumably we're all getting into free-heel from an alpine background - no problem with that, as I ski both).

This is a good exercise for the piste but it was not designed to get you to put more weight on the back ski - true, it is getting you to balance through the turns and to respect your rear ski edge as some don't edge this ski in the turn but merely butter it around and let it skid like the old tele turn with straight skis. You can see those that do this because somwhere during the turn the rear ski is in half a snow-plough - I guarantee your turn against the grain (ie a right turn with your right ski forward) is not half as good as the other and you won't be carving! If you can send me the video I'd like to see it! Urmas is a great tele skier and even he can't carve that turn - but check which one he can. His left turns are much smoother...I wonder why?! This is because he can't get a 50/50 despite what he says to do in the exercise.

geoffers wrote:
The training exercise of turning tele/parallel without lead-changes helps with getting the feel of using the edges on the back ski for control..

1. Imagine you're turning to the left in a parallel turn - uphill (left) ski is advanced - downhill ski is weighted with weight on the inside (big toe) edge.

2. Now unweight & sink/steer across the hill into the next turn (no lead change) - the left ski is still advanced but is now the downhill ski, and we're in a tele turn.
As alpine skiers we would expect to have this ski weighted more than the uphill ski - WRONG. In tele the back ski should have more of the weight (or be equally weighted)
This is nonsense - remember the sitting room exercise! Putting weight in the back seat leaves very little control over the tip of the ski, this is what makes the ski turn. On the other hand if you try to put too much weight into the rearward ski inside edge you are going to take a tumble unless you happen to be skiing the fall-line on a steep pitch when you might get away with it! It just isn't possible or recommended.

geoffers wrote:
to continue...
3. Now in the tele-turn going right, the lead (downhill - left) ski is advanced, but try to keep the back ski under yourself & focus on weighting its inside edge (little toe)
Good but you are not going to be able to pressure the tip of this ski so you won't be able to carve a turn - incidentally do this exercise on Alpine and you'll find it difficult too.

But what do I know?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TelemarkKing, - don't want to enter a flame war Smile but for the benefit of the OP, I suggest reading an excellent article on technique here http://www.telemarktips.com/FSurmasStance.html which compares the "tall stance" which I favour against the "low stance" you favour.
Quote:
A tall stance allows for pressure to be borne equally by both feet

Quote:
In a low stance it's harder, though not impossible, to maintain pressure on both feet, although control over the rear foot is somewhat compromised

Quote:
To put all this in a nutshell, tall skiers take advantage of enhanced pressuring and edging ability, while low skiers benefit from strong rotary ability. Tall skiers can also ski with less energy expenditure

Quote:
If your mind is as free as your heels, choose your technique as you see fit --but choose wisely.

Enjoy your t-turns snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Geoffers - fair play this is what a forum is all about afterall. However I am not a low stance skier - check out the photo posted by Kiwi1 on this site, doesn't look low to me. I actually don't like the low stance, in fact I believe this gives you very little control over your skis and often results in too much tip pressure and toe dip and that only ends one way - face plant. I don't have a problem with what people are saying but we are not talking about the position of the body so much, but more about where the body interfaces with the snow, the skis. This is where it counts. There have been many an article and paper, some even at Masters level that have looked into telemark stance and technique. Hauer (2003) concluded that there is no difference across the world in how the telemark turn is executed, forget about what the body is doing lets concentrate on what the feet do. Now I happen to know a few telemarkers, in fact I know some of the best in the world. They didn't learn their experience from books, they have evolved over years to become the best in the sport. NONE, I say NONE of them ski a 50/50 turn...it just is not possible. If you don't believe this then maybe you could appraise yourself of the work of Arno Klein et al on foot pressures throughout the telemark turn.

Quote:
And make no mistake, maintaining a centered, technically balanced tele stance while getting even close to the goal of 50/50 front and back ski weighting is a very difficult thing to accomplish. Enter Jimmy Ludlow as the first and only witness we need to make this latter point. As former member of the US National Telemark Racing Team, a tele racing coach and clinician, as well as a former PSIA Tele Demo Team member, few would argue that Jimmy lacks any of the tools necessary to make a technically solid telemark turn....
Bravo!

Quote:
Almost startlingly, the enlarged view at left of the actual foot pressure readings, recorded at the exact moment in the video, reveal that Ludlow has barely 37% of his weight on his rear ski! And that rear ski pressure even along the ski's edge from tip to tail, with no indication that significant tip pressure is being applied to the rear ski at the top of the turn.
And he's a professional!

Quote:
Perhaps the most important question to arise out of the Ludlow data is this: if a tele skier with hips perfectly balanced over his skis, riding on perfectly groomed snow and with a skill set that few can match, still has just 37% of his weight on his rear ski, what chance do the rest of us have to nail the elusive 50/50 tele weighting in variable off piste snow? In the backcountry?
Really!

Check out the full article on ski and boot pressures here: http://telemarktips.com/ForebodyPress.html

Enjoy...
latest report
geoffers wrote:
...don't want to enter a flame war...

Rather selfishly, do have a flame war - I'm learning a lot Wink
latest report
50/50 pressure, lead changes, go ski mank or deep crud and while the skis may not be weighted 50/50 you will be closer to this. At least I find i have to ski these conditions more in the back seat, more weight on the rear ski. The rest of the time it's go and enjoy and yes it's 70/30-60/40 but who actually is going to measure this. There are several balance/stance points in tele that's part of the fun and appeal. Now I have to go ski the 2" of heavy wind packed mank that fell last night, will I worry about stance or just point and play, I bet it's point and play. Very Happy

Ski with one fellow who is probably the only tele skiier who can out ski me on our mountain, his style is more upright and hoppy. My stlye lower with more power and speed. Is either more right or wrong, we have another tele skier ex clinician who keeps varying between our styles both have advantages and disadvantages just remember to have FUN.
snow conditions
I always have fun - this is a learning environment just want to share what I have learned over the years. This is fast track to fast fun. snowHead But OK, take this example. You are skiing crud or mush or powder sure if you have your weight centred over the lead ski and you are leaning too far accrss the fall-line then your balance is all to cock, and you probably aren't carving or close to having your skis on their edges. If you are skiing in poor conditions you are probably more likely to sit in the back seat because you ae reticent to trust putting your weight forward as you would rather fall on your back bottom than fall on your face...right? It is psychological, the fact remains that better control can be executed over the driving ski (the downhill one) with more weight and pressure behind it. If you sit back on your rear ski you have very little chance of committing pressure and weight to the forward ski and so you control with the rear.

Question. Which is more likely to allow you more control?

1. An almost flat foot occupying more surface area of the ski (as is the case with the forward ski) thus allowing more pressure to be exerted across the ski length and maximum flex at the tip (the turning part of the ski!)

OR

2. A foot that is pivoted at the toe (as is the case with the rear ski) thus occupying little surface area and little chance of exerting much pressure to the ski?

I could get really boring and start talking physics here but I think you know where I am coming from. I know which one I choose most of the time - I will caveat this with 'whilst racing'. However, I take this theory and apply it in practice whether in the crud or in the deep stuff. So long as your skis are carrying enough speed to allow enough pressure to be applied to it then the flexion of the ski will occur when weighting the ski As I pointed out you don't need to do this to ski powder, edges are designed for icy hard pack, where skiing on the back foot will allow you little control and only get you into trouble - you can get away with this in the powder but nowhere else and still look good.

The worms are crawling from the can!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 1-03-08 17:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
My god. Telemark Epic. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
Yee-ha - into the fray...Smile
Quote:
If you sit back on your rear ski you have very little chance of committing pressure and weight to the forward etc etc...
I agree, but who said anything about "sitting back" on the rear-ski: if you're skiing a reasonably short stance with your weight centred, you can pressure the back ski no problemo whilst maintaining a dynamic stance (not sure if it's 47.3% or 38.8465% pressured though Laughing )
Staying high with a short stance allows much quicker lead changes than the low/long stance - simple physics (geometry) here: less distance between feet=less distance to move feet between lead-changes.

Next... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
If you are skiing in poor conditions you are probably more likely to sit in the back seat because you ae reticent to trust putting your weight forward as you would rather fall on your back bottom than fall on your face...right? It is psychological, the fact remains that better control can be executed over the driving ski (the downhill one) with more weight and pressure behind it. If you sit back on your rear ski you have very little chance of committing pressure and weight to the forward ski and so you control with the rear.

I was never advocating skiing on the rear ski just that in HEAVY conditions I find that my weight ends up more equal on my skis than when on groomers or Pow. This was in response to the weight balance issue written earlier. As to where I'm likely to fall forward or back, well, yesterday my one fall was on a dbl blk was forward after hitting a hidden frozen ice ball great skiing till that moment.

I've also noticed that my ski buddy who rides taller and tighter than I goes down in the Heavy stuff more often upon initial contact. I assume more toe versus whole foot pressure on the front ski is part of the cause of his forward falls, and the lack of enough weight or any weight on that back ski. Again this goes back to more balanced weight distribution when skiing variable snow that due to it's inconsistent nature is causing the skier to move forward and back.

I've also raced and while I am no expert racer I have found most of the racers do not ski as well in the crud as I, however they sure can crush my times in the gates.
snow report
OK - now we've sorted out our pressure distribution Madeye-Smiley I thought I'd return to the original posting, which was on lead-changing.

I've dredged up some shots taken on the Hintertux glacier in May 2004 (in some pretty cruddy, wet powder) where me & a mate were videoing each other. (You'll have to excuse the quality of the shots, as they were cut from a Quicktime movie, pasted into a word doc which I printed, and have subsequently lost all the electronic originals, so have just photographed the paper documents - gives it an air of something from the last century).

We were working on pole-plants as a timing focus, as my mate has the classic alpine skier's lead-change problem where he changes the lead into a parallel stance (where he feels comfortable) THEN plants the pole to initiate the turn and steps into a telemark stance and sinks into the next tele-turn.

The annotations & comments on the photos should show what we were trying to identify: Hopefully I've got the timing a bit better - planting, unweighting & lead-changing while I'm high, then sinking & steering into the next turn (although I expect to be totally shot down in flames now rolling eyes )

snowHead
Oh, and if you look closely, you can see that there is reasonably equal pressure on both skis by the similar amount of snow being thrown up by the 2 skis (ducks.... Twisted Evil )

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 3-03-08 9:03; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Thanks geoffers, these are really useful. (And they do have a lovely "air" about them snowHead)

I see what you mean about your mate. I must admit that I'm having all sorts of problems pole planting. No matter how much I tell myself "pole plant when you change edges, not when your skis are parallel", I'm still only get it right 30-40% of the time. There must be heck of a lot of inbuilt muscle memory that I need to overcome.

Personally, I'd be more than happy with that second sequence. And, to my eyes, you can certainly see the edge change happening before the lead change.
snow report
Quote:
Thanks geoffers, these are really useful
Pleased to be of assistance Phillip

One thing to focus on with your pole plants:-

In the t-turn with your downhill ski leading, the tendency is for your hips to rotate you towards the hill so it is very important not to leave your hand behind after you've planted.

Counter rotation of the upper body is required, and when I was learning I used to focus on punching my hand down the slope after the plant (or pointing at the tip of my new lead-ski) to keep my body facing down the slope.

Paul Parker describes the counter-rotation of your upper body as being like a coiled spring, so when you release your edges for your next turn the spring uncoils which helps to bring your hips/legs/skis round into the new turn.
ski holidays
Just to raise the spectre of the rear-foot weighting issue again.... rolling eyes

I've just returned from a weeks touring & tele-training in the Stubai Alps with BASI trainer & tele-guru John Eames. The mid-week avalanche danger curtailed our tour, so we ended up lift-served skiing some pretty steep runs in 40cm of wonderful pow. on the Stubai Gletscher, where John inadvertantly demonstrated the effect of an un-pressured back ski in the deep - the unweighted trailing ski being whipped out from behind him, with him ending up skiing on the lead-ski only with the back ski in a tip-drag/back-scratcher position.

He managed to ride the turn in this position without falling - cool Cool, However, we lesser mortals experienced plenty of unweighted back skis with the inevitable consequences, but the mantra was as ever "equal pressure" in the turns....
latest report
And now a much better explanation of what I was trying to get at originally.
snow report
Does John Eames rank amongst the best Telemark skiers in the World? He doesn't necessarily have all the right answers - the bottom line has to be you ski how you ski. The conditions vary as does the ability each will find their own balance point but I, a mere mortal, having skied tele for some years now at various levels do not subscribe to the equal pressure argument; I happen to know that the top ten telemarkers in this world agree with me - just so you know...and they probably ski day in day out throughout the winter and probably have done since they were knee high to a grasshopper - now who should we trust? Those that walk the walk or just go through the motions? If I knew how to post photos on here I would!
snow conditions
sorry - bad hair day Sad Sad

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 9-04-08 15:46; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Still the same argument I'll stick with more 80/20-70/30 weighting on groomers and 70/30-60/40 in crud and powder, I'll also stick with the fact there are a variety of tele styles that work, find the style that fits you and have fun.

Had a much longer tirade but the computer ate it, oh yeah my credentials 16 seasons tele out of 43 seasons skiing 85 days so far this season.
snow conditions
To protect the innocent - this only makes sense to those that need to know!

Oooh someone had a late night! Thanks for the sentiment though...Charmed I'm sure.

Maybe he is ranked higher in the World than me too then? Check http://www.telemarkski.org to be sure.

Pinhead - interesting credentials!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 9-04-08 16:07; edited 3 times in total
snow report
This whole thread seems to be similar to the alpine 'equal weighting' argument. Yes you can (and maybe should) aim for it, but it's never going to be really 50:50.

I try to get pressure on the back ski - and (more important - I think) get the boot flexed. But there's always more on the front/outside foot.

TelemarkKing, Softer snow = less pressure on front ski ? Harder snow = more ?
ski holidays
Ski

Thanks. Yes, in soft snow too much forefoot pressure will risk resulting in a faceplant as the change in pace whilst weighting the front ski is something that the upper body cannot recover from and send the weight over the ski fast and usually without a chance to correct. A bit like skiing over melted snow and getting that immediate decreas in speed which normally throws your balance. In hard snow the lead ski INHO is the gripping ski - not enough pressure and you are surely skidding the turn - hence little control over direction or speed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy