Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Haute Savoie Ski Property Booms 20% in 12 months

Poster: A snowHead

There have been a few threads about property prices over the last few week.s I just read this article in the local paper about Haute Savoie / Savoie ski property prices which have increased 20-25% over the last year.

http://www.ledauphine.com/economie-l-immobilier-flambe-en-montagne-les-prix-de-vente-atteignent-des-records-et-continuent-de-grimper-@/index.jspz?article=10430

Here are the top resorts:
Flaine/Les Carroz +23%
La Clusaz +22 %
Haute-Maurienne +21 %
Évasion Mont-Blanc +22 %
Tarentaise +15 %

The picture is mixed elsewhere in the Savoie The Haute Savoie has bigger properties and more chalets which have done better than apartments. The resorts are also more attractive, according to the article.

This should be compared to a generally stagnant or falling market in the Rhone Alpes.

The paper edition says the boom is driven by British investors.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
... who should be politely advised to invest their money elsewhere. The soulless speculation culture in the Alps is doing the environment and ecology of the mountains no good whatsoever.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, part of me says you can't buck the market. Part of me wholeheartedly agrees with you.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Excellent!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A friend who works in a Chamonix estate agent told me that, the top and bottom of the market are holding up but that in the middle there is a Mexican stand off with no one buying
and no one selling and that English buyers were thin on the ground .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As I am buying long way it continue Laughing Cool
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
whilst a Euro costs 77p I can see the market collapsing fairly soon Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith wrote:
... who should be politely advised to invest their money elsewhere. The soulless speculation culture in the Alps is doing the environment and ecology of the mountains no good whatsoever.

For every buyer there's a seller. Of course, you know what's best for them and for the world in general. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin, Not if borrowing in euros wink Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
Courchevel 1850 is leading, even at the national level, with the € 14963 sq.m. apartments

Makes 9k/m in Les Arcs sound cheap Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin, I'm at £4.7K/m. We hit 10 pages by the way wink Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thefatcontroller, Cheap even for Les Arcs Toofy Grin
10 rolling eyes Get it finished by the time I get back perlease Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Habieres seems to be the Old Kent Road of the ski property monopoly board - which is odd as Geneva is commutable and it about 3x that per m2.

One reason that some ski properties have increased per m2, according to an expert, is that areas with "restricted headroom" can no longer be counted as habitable space. So for example in Avoriaz many 30sq.m appts are now 25sq.m appts but have not dropped in price. It doesn't seem as if this survey takes that into account (it is effectively the equivalant of the land registry prices, I don't know if they do any weighting as they do with UK indices to take into account of property bands, seasonal trends etc).

I think further devaluations in the £ will bring some UK investors back down to earth.

> A friend told me that, the top and bottom of the market are holding up but that in the middle there is a Mexican stand off with no one buying

Interesting. I've just been reading a report on how to survive the forthcoming recession. They say either position yourself in the luxury or cheap as chips end of the market. It is things like 3 and 4* hotels and shops like Monsoon that suffer in a downturn not Primark or the Savoy. The middle class become the new chavs while the rich are pretty much insulated.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting article. Thanks davidof.

I suspect the average prices hide quite a large range per sq m.

For example, Morzine is down as around 4k per sq m, but if you look locally you'd be hard pressed to find a good 35 sq m for less than 190k-230k, whereas a 100 sq m chalet will cost proportionately less at around 400k-500k.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OK its ugly but arcs 2000 = 2405/M2!!, if that is true this has to be the best place to buy if you want your very own crash pad. I'm out in a few weeks and will be checking the agents windows, doesn't sound right to me !!!.
snow report
Kel, I'm buying in 2000 @ £4.7k/m, actually feck just checked its £5.65k/m Shocked Shocked Shocked . Its best not to think to much about it.
ski holidays
The paper gives these as the % of Brits in each resort buying in 2007

Saint-Jean-d'Aulps 68% Shocked
64% Morzine
45% les Gets
44% Flaine
42% Chamonix Mont-Blanc

Arc 2000 is cheap, cheaper than buying in the valley. No idea why but sometimes the local community forces property owners to renovate their properties (currently happening at Chamrousse) which can be quite expensive and is reflected in the purchase price. I can see having Arc 2000 next to Arc 1950 wouldn't please Intrawest customers.
snow conditions
It must be said, davidof, that it that happened in this country then the front page of The Sun would be covered in nothing but outrage.

thefatcontroller - that's dearer than our (very nice) flat in London.
snow report
PhillipStanton, Is your flat at 7,000 feet, with Lanchettes chairlift outside the front door to the left and from the top of that chair a 5km red to Villaroger, oh and to the right outside the door is 400km of skiing Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Yes of course I would much prefer a second home in London Toofy Grin
snow conditions
thefatcontroller
Just as a matter of interest how much is the congestion charge at Arcs 2000 Razz Razz Razz
ski holidays
Kel, Car free resort. Feck all Razz NehNeh Razz NehNeh
latest report
davidof, yes, I saw an apartment the other day that had an entire bedroom which was not included in the "superficie" but was certainly reflected in the price, which was ridiculously high (according to no less an authority than the nice lady from the immobiliere...). It did have limited headroom, but it had a window, and two sets of double bunks, and would have appealed enormously to children. Has that rule about what can be counted only just come into effect?

Some of those percentages of British buyers are truly scary. Much higher than the percentages which saw Free Wales chaps burning down cottages in the late 'sixties.

Round our way the new MGM apartments (co-prop classique) seem to be selling for rather less, per sq m, than four year old ones on re-sale. Is that common in the French market?
snow report
Mine has nearly tripled in price since we bought it off-plan in December 2001, if recent sales in our block are to be believed. Notional increase in value, of course, as we have no plans to sell for the foreseeable future. Reading between the lines of recent presentations from MGM and Intrawest to our co-prop AGM they believe there will be some retrenchment for a couple of years at least, although not sure if that means actual falling prices or just a slow down in the slightly ridiculous property inflation that we've seen for the last three or four years in my little bit of the Tarentaise.

David Goldsmith, perhaps it would be best for you to offer your advice to the locals who enable this development to take place. It takes two to tango (although only one to stand on a soapbox and lecture at people who aren't interested in listening Wink)
snow conditions
That's unusually rude and personal of you, Robert. Behave yourself.

No, the rape of the Alps should come to an end.

It's nothing that 'locals' will control, because (more than likely) their local political representatives will be in the pockets of the people who finance these projects. We know that bribery creeps into the UK planning system.

What's needed is international law to protect the Alps. Over-development and pollution were recognised as serious problems over 20 years ago. They are far more serious threats now.

With the snow-line rising and the demand for wintersports continuing apace it is not surprising that high-altitude property is gaining value at 20% per annum, and this fuels the spec building. Only international planning controls and laws can control this menace.

Over-fishing? At least we're trying to control that.
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
That's unusually rude and personal of you, Robert. Behave yourself.

Laughing your ongoing carping about people who buy holiday homes in that part of the world is unusual (few other people do it); personal (it is a direct criticism of several snowHeads who have made the same choice as me); and the frequency with which you make the same point I consider to be rude. But live and let live, eh?
ski holidays
Miaow!

I suppose so, but I find this 'where can we make the most dosh?' stuff pretty nauseating.

davidof's data is quite interesting. 'An Englishman's second home is his castle of cash', I guess. Quite a few people could use first homes right now!
latest report
My decision to buy a place in the Tarentaise had precisely nothing to do with 'where can I make the most dosh'. It was an investment in 'quality of life' which as you no longer ski you might have difficulty in understanding the contribution a home away from home in the Alps makes to this.
snow report
rob@rar, Me to. My decision to look to buy was based upon a desire later in life to spend more time in the snow. I am 99.99% certain I will go to my death bed still owning the place and my kids shall inherit. Whether I make money on it is actually the least relevant factor for buying.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
... you no longer ski ...

Crap. I slid, I slide, I shall be sliding.
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
... you no longer ski ...

Crap. I slid, I slide, I shall be sliding.

Prove it.
ski holidays
rob@rar, agree with you whole heartedly on your sentiment that the 'where can I make the most dosh' statement is tosh. Generalised tosh. We didn't buy in the Alps to make a fast buck. We bought there because we love the area and would like to spend more time there and, fingers crossed, be able to move there at some point in the future. Maybe many do just buy for the investment and that's their call. Does my head in when a lot of people always assume it is just because of money, money, money...

davidof, very interesting article Very Happy
ski holidays
rob
I've been sliding since 1959, and will be sliding in 2029 (with a bit of luck).

What on earth does this have to do with understanding your point? This thread is about escalating property values in high mountains, and it's perfectly legitimate for people to comment on the pros and cons of those trends (which I'm trying to emphasise have serious environmental consequences) whether they ski in the mountains or don't even go to the mountains. The future of the Alps is in the balance, and a holistic approach needs to be taken.
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
rob
I've been sliding since 1959, and will be sliding in 2029 (with a bit of luck).

That's an assertion, not proof.
snow conditions
rob@rar, Aren't the capital gains laws/tax in France for overseas buyers quite horrendous making the quick buck very difficult?
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
rob@rar, Aren't the capital gains laws/tax in France for overseas buyers quite horrendous making the quick buck very difficult?

I think so, although not sure if that's only for overseas buyers or all property owners. But as we've never had any plans to 'make a quick buck' I didn't pay much attention to that side of things
latest report
rob@rar, Me neither but I think I read it is 40% of any gain?. The solicitor was mentioning it for legal purposes.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:

That's an assertion, not proof.

You are demanding that I prove that I've gone skiing? What is this - the Savoie Inquisition?
Rob, a discussion on escalating property prices in the Alps is something most anybody might want to participate in. It's not exclusive territory for 'frequent skiers' - perhaps there are those outside this little bubble who might take a view. Escalating property values in the UK have consequences for those who don't necessarily own property.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, everyone except you and megamum is willing to say where and when they go skiing. And megamum has announced her intention of going to the EoSB. When you are so unfriendly about sharing your experiences, you cannot blame others for suspecting you do not ski. All you have to do is say where you have been skiing/plan to ski this year and we will believe you.

Whilst I understand your concern about the Alps, using the word "rape" is offensive hyperbole. There are - I believe - sometimes temporary restrictions on foreigners buying property in some Swiss Cantons. If the French agreed with you they could do the same.
snow report
Most people myself included, have been priced right out of the market unless of course it is relocation. However if I had a crystal ball back in 2000 when a second property was just about affordable as a 2nd property (not to rent out my own place for my family and very trusted friends) would I have bought one knowing it would have trippled in price as rob@rar has said, your damn right I would, but at least I am not bitter about it Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, There's a difference between suspecting I don't ski (perfectly valid to hold any suspicion) and saying "you no longer ski" (which was rob's misrepresentation)

I took him up on it because he has a habit off making blanket criticisms of journalism for factual inaccuracy. Much journalism is highly accurate and produced by brave individuals at considerable personal risk or exposure who believe in advancing public knowledge.

The use of the word "rape" isn't inappropriate to the exploitation of Alpine terrain by some speculators, in my view. It may offend the occasional shy and sensitive property developer but the meaning of the word is "the spoiling or destruction of a place".
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy