Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Moguls/Bumps - Where are the bad ones

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, a few people are starting to master bumps, and we have even had a question on how to ride them on a board (yes - get skis instead Shocked ), so where are the tricky moguls fields for these soon to be experts types like FTS to try?

I have come across some good 'uns such as Tortin in Verbier and the Swiss Wall in PDS - particularly tricky ones I must say,

so where else are these blighters? Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think Tortin is just about as tough as it gets. The top of the tunnel at Alpe D'Huez can also get chopped up and mogully. Solaise at Val D'Isere used to have a reputation - but it is a while since I have been there.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rayscoops, Bois De L'ours in Les Arcs (takes you from the 1600/1800 side down into Arc1950) is horrendous Shocked Laughing and Grand Coll had some beauties in Les Arcs in early Janaury. Not seen much on the La Plagne side that compared to those 2 runs. There seems to be a purpose built mogul training field beside the Colosses drag lift in Plagne Bellecote Confused

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 15-02-08 10:46; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AMF in Snowmass (narrow bumpy entrance leading to wide, steep Shocked , with long bumps.
Outhouse in Winter Park (Mary Jane mountain at Winter Park is considered the bump capital of the US)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its probably very much a personal PoV since I guess some people will think that Tortin (for example) are pretty easy and not too tough (not me). Now I don't particularly like moguls probably because I can't ski them properly but on my recent weekend in Italy piste No.5 in Courmayeur was mogully for quite a distance signed at the start VERY DIFFICULT PISTE - FOR EXPERT SKIERS ONLY. Some were ok in terms of overall size and height but quite a few seemed so high that they should have had their own lift system ( wink ). The piste was quite a challenge for me and I won't say I skied them rather I picked my way down the piste (style points right out of the window). No major falls though just a few wobbles so that was a bonus.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ptarmigan in Lake Louise.

I haven't skiied it, but I have seen it from the top and bottom. Far too scary for me (at least then). Skullie
ski holidays
 bloxy
bloxy
Renard - Avoriaz (both sections because the lower ones are always horrible shapes Smile )

Gun barrel - Heavenly CA
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skiers left of Mont Fort in Verbier if it hasn't snowed for a while can get very bumpy, the path at the top in can also be a bit tricky. I usually find that skier's right, although steeper and narrower is more pleasant to ski. Also the run down Gentianes is quite often heavily bumped, again if there hasn't been snow for a while. Similarly the itinerary route down Fontenays. Would also agree about the Wall at Chavanettes in the PDS. Skied quite a few double diamond blacks in Park City which were pretty bumpy - can't remember the names. From experience most of the blacks and double diamond blacks in the US seem to be mogul fields
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good practice bumps (why am I disclosing my secrets?) can be found (inter alia) at:

Deer Valley (here's a
video)

Grands Montets, all over the place

PDS: Renard (Plaine Dranse), Chamossiere, Chery Nord, Yeti, Machon, Torgon new itineraire

Alta - High Rustler

Tignes - "La Leisse"

And how could I forget Scotland - the Tiger (Glenshee) and the White Lady (Cairngorm) - marvellous!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just to clarify thats me in the Deer Valley video, wasn't on top form that day but it still looks good (if only)wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I foolishly followed someone down Momatt in Zermatt last month. It certainly frightened the life out of me.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The worst bumps in Espace Killy are at the top of the 3000 drag lift. Massive, with rocky patches in between them. Not best skied with a hangover. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kramer, Yup, been there skied them, in the company of snowcrazy, Bernard C, and ise . Nice sharp edges on the bumps Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's a close thing between the 3000 in Val and the top of the Tunnel in ADH- would go for the Tunnel, moguls so big at the beginning that you're almost forced to sideslip or else risk snapping the skis! The Leisse I've found to be pretty tame recently.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Murdoch,

The Scottish Tiger and White Lady are rather tame comparing with those in Grands Montets if I may say so. I might have hit Grands Montets at the right or wrong time but many moguls were more than a metre high.
ski holidays
saikee, Oh I don't know, I've seen the Tiger quite feisty. Just to be clear - I was listing my Favourite bumps runs...
snow conditions
Dr. Will,
Quote:

the top of the Tunnel in ADH

Aaargh, the only time I've really, really scared myself. Found myself at the top, late-ish one afternoon, moguls bigger than me (not difficult Embarassed ) a most off-putting blue tinge to the whole slope and a gibbering person static on the top of virtually every mogul. Eventually set off without any very clear idea of where my first turn was going to be, inevitably fell, and then lived up to my name in a big way, down the entire slope. Was stopped by a very kind and brave Dutch person, who simply stood and broke my fall: he was standing just in front of some orange netting, with notalot behind it! Shocked

BGA,
Quote:

the run down Gentianes is quite often heavily bumped

Don't mind that, because it's not too steep. (I learned how to ski in Verbier, in a very,very poor season for snow, so it was pretty mogully everywhere. That stood me in good stead, I think.)
snow report
saikee,
Quote:

I might have hit Grands Montets at the right or wrong time but many moguls were more than a metre high.

Really? I've never seen them too enormous. But the snow has always been so good when I've skied Grands Montets that perhaps I was misled as to the size.
snow report
while not a bump run per se, the grand couloir in courchevel can get gnarly if it hasnt snowed for a while
ski holidays
alex_heney, Ptarmigan is fine. Only where there is a narrow portion about 2/3rds of the way down does it become at all gnarly. There is a sweet little cornice into a mini bowl at the top, skiers left, you can drop into too.

I like bumps. The Swiss wall is the only one which has given me a scare - and that was some years ago in icy conditions.
snow report
what do people mean by "bad" moguls - there all good.

Hard to find many in Val anymore - under the tomouss (spelt that wrong i'm sure) are the best or the black under le fornet cable car.

However st anton is the bumpiest place i've skied. Under the old galzig cable car is excellent, but loads more very long bump runs to play in.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Malgovert, Arcs 1600.
Bumps so big you can be surprised by the trees in the dips. Love it!
snow report
The top of Suisse in CourchevEl is usually nicely bumped.
ski holidays
personally i think the top part of Mont Fort is harder than Tortin.
snow conditions
I don't think that the actual bumps on the tunnel in ADH are actually that bad, it's just the circumstances that surround them that makes them so hard.

Skiing merrily down through them, then turning back and looking at the people paralysed with fear who've not moved since you dropped in at the top is always good value. Little Angel
snow conditions
The Epaule can get quite big, but it's nice and wide so you can pick you line. It's a good place to start doing the zipper line on big bumps though.

Foret in Val Despair is also quite tricky, where it's narrow and steep through the trees.
latest report
Kramer,
Quote:

Skiing merrily down through them, then turning back and looking at the people paralysed with fear who've not moved since you dropped in at the top is always good value

Chance would have been a fine thing! rolling eyes
snow report
What do people mean by bad bumps?

Big and steep? I'd say they are just fine if they are well shaped and the snow is good. The bad ones are when it's icy and they are cut up by horrid traverse lines created by skiers who probably ought not to be attempting them.

On the big and steep type though I'd agree that Tortin can be like that (although you see few bad skiers and it's high so normally have good shape and snow?). Gun Barrel at Heavenly was huge when I was there but the bumps were slushy which makes speed control wasy (people were skiing laps in shorts and t shirts). Cascades in Val Thorens can be very big but the steep section is quite short. I think the toughest that I ever came across were on Pylons on Grandes Montets in about 1990. It hadn't snowed for a few weeks and they were very firm and looked like a staircase of VW Beetles. Have to say that I was only an intermediate at that point so my memory may be a little exaggerated.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The worst bumps I have ever seen were on Mont Fort in Verbier way back in a year when the snow cover was very bad - huge lumps of ice all the way down and barely room to put your skis on at the top before they started. The Swiss Wall in PdS was pretty bad the same year (and closed).

Bottom part of the Combe de Tougnete in Meribel down under the Tougnete pylons is pretty gnarly sometimes in the spring particular after a few cycles of melting / freezing.
ski holidays
Highline in Vail has certainly kicked my ass plenty in the past.

It's got a fabulously slow 2-seater chair all the way up one side too, so mogul gurus can watch the mayhem and shout out helpful hints & tips wink
snow conditions
jedster, no such thing as bad bumps.
ski holidays
Creux in Morzine was horrendous a couple of years ago but benign last year

Obviously it depends on the traffic.

I'll try Tortin in the next few days Very Happy
ski holidays
oh8777, highline is great - as you say - everyone can watch one making a twit of oneself. Must go back there sometime.
latest report
Agree that the prize for the overall bumpiest resort I think would go to St Anton when it's had no fresh for couple of weeks. Bump city! Take a boarder buddy there and watch them curse you all week Twisted Evil I can remember taking a mate down that notorious bump run from the top of Galzig? (iirc) that he still remembers and hates me for 10 years later. The size of the proverbial VW beetles and steep enough that all you see beyond the top of the next bump was the bottom of the valley...eep

Tortin at Verbier - I must have always caught it soon after a new dump - it didn't live up to it's reputation at all, just another itinerary?

BGA wrote:
Skiers left of Mont Fort in Verbier if it hasn't snowed for a while can get very bumpy, the path at the top in can also be a bit tricky.

Trenmold wrote:
The worst bumps I have ever seen were on Mont Fort in Verbier way back in a year when the snow cover was very bad - huge lumps of ice all the way down and barely room to put your skis on at the top before they started. .

Yeah. Although when I was there a couple of years ago the 'bumps' proved to be boulders of rock-hard avalanche debris the size of dishwashers . Ouch Shocked
snow report
the black choucas coming down from la balme in serre che takes some beating,they also have plenty of unbashed runs on some blues so you can practise or not,if your out that way give it a try or see what it looks like on the balme chair.
snow report
Skied most of the resorts mentioned on here so far - but the one that hasn't been mentioned and is (in my opinion) the bumpiest resort you'll ever find is Winter Park, Colorado. Absolutely amazing for bumps. Get yourself there if you really want to improve - runs that were hard at the beginning of the week pale into insignificance once you work your way onto the really big bump runs later on. Best of all, the snow is (usually) fantastic - you're unlikely to find any really icy bumps.
ski holidays
the worst parts of mont fort and tortin were the beginnings as inexperinced skiers slide down and make it steep but they due make the moguls smaller Little Angel
snow report
priceyboy wrote:
the worst parts of mont fort and tortin were the beginnings as inexperinced skiers slide down and make it steep but they due make the moguls smaller Little Angel

Very true. The moguls get bigger as you traverse further along.
However, Tortin is superb.
ski holidays
Does Tortin always have moguls on it these days? I'm sure I can remember skiing it decades ago, when it was un-mogulled. Puzzled
ski holidays
The hardest mogul run I've seen until now is Palavacini run in Arapahoe Basin especially when it hasn't been snowing for some time.
It's the combination of big moguls and an extremely steep run that makes it really challenging.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy