Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zug - Lech / Skiworld

Poster: A snowHead
Hello. I have the last room on hold on a chalet in Zug for Easter week. Anyone stayed in Zug? Tour operator (Ski World) tells me its 5-8 min bus ride out from Lech and quiet and peaceful. As I'm not there for great nightlife and prefer peace and quiet I'm not worried about being out of the town. Just wondered if any Snowheads had anything to say in Zug.

Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I believe Skiworld has 2 chalets in Zug. I stayed in the one they call 'Alpenland' in January last year.
The one they call 'Furka' is on the road just 20 or 30 metres from the ski bus stop.
'Alpenland' is about 2-300m down a steep footpath from there. It's very new as it had burnt down the previous season and had been completely re-built. (I think)

Zug itself is small and very quiet with a bar in a hotel being the (only?) place to go and AFAIR just the one ski hire shop. But you do really feel like you're properly out in the mountains, words like quaint and peaceful come to mind. And the view up the valley and sense of calm first thing on a chilly morning left quite a strong lasting impression.
Skiworld refer to the Alpenland as ski in/ski out which it pretty well is, if you're a fairly decent skier. Skiing out isn't too much of a problem: there's a chair lift about 200m away from the Alpenland, which you get to by skiing down a road, over a bridge. However to ski back involves using an un-pisted (though marked) itinerary. From one direction the itinerary is marked red, from the other, black. The black one is not for the faint hearted however the red isn't too scary and once there's been no new snow for a few days, enough people have skied it that it's really only the occassional mogul field that sets it out from a pisted run.

It's not too far from Lech, although I never tried walking it. 5-8 mins on the bus? Maybe a shade optomistic but not by much: I'd tend to describe it as "about 10mins" and as I tend to be quite impatient with busses, they might even be right on the button with 8mins Wink

Lech is a picture-postcard beautiful resort and has long been popular with the very wealthy. I've never witnessed quite so many people not handling their own luggage as there; bellboys loading expensive bags into the back of chauffeur driven 4x4's. The skiing is varied and the lift system modern. As a result of all this, it can be very expensive to 'tick off the list' but Zug isn't a bad option to sneak in the back door at a discount Toofy Grin
I'd gladly go back.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Beverley, admin, Lech is the one resort in the world that I really ache to go to... your posts have not helped ease my pain... Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It isn't as up market and expensive as you make out. The food/drink I don't find any more expensive than say, Les Arcs. i.e. in Lech we pay 10 euros for a gluhwein and a beer. In Les Arcs we paid the same. The 4* and 5* hotels are generally similarly priced to others of the same standard in other resorts. What you will get is exceptional service and food.
There are cheaper options such as self catering apts. etc. The gear in the shops is expensive but it is the higher qualilty stuff i.e Spyder / Kjus etc. We bought skis in Lech and they were no more expensive than anywhere else.
Zug is very pretty and if I remember correctly, the Rotewand guesthouse is there. It has a good reputation for food. You can ski back into Zug from both Lech and Zurs.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This has been really helpful, thank you. I have since looked at a piste map and the chairlift from Zug takes you right up into the Lech system. The cost of Chalet Furka is £775pp for en-suite room for the week (fully catered with wine) and Ski World guiding service. Alternatively, I've been offered a 4* hotel in Lech but is £1,186 pp. Ok the chalet will be more homey and smaller, but the price difference is huge.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
erica2004, but to say drinks, somewhere in Austria, are 'no more expensive' than the French Super-domains is like saying they're really pricey Laughing
But I agree, you could eat out quite reasonably, drink prices were, at worst, on a par with France and the service everywhere was top notch.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
admin, Very true. Laughing

Beverley, A friend of ours stayed in a SkiWorld chalet in Les Arcs and was really impressed with the service and food. Let us know how you get on in Zug !
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Beverley wrote:
I've been offered a 4* hotel in Lech but is £1,186 pp.

Shocked more pain...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stayed in a Ski World Chalet in Val Thorens last year and the service in the Chalet was great. I suppose it helps with the reps being not a lot younger than us and the wine being more like unlimited than being only with the meal. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Never stayed in Zug but been there many times from Lech. There is a very easy, very scenic run down from Lech. If you have a night out of the chalet try the Gasthof Rote Wand - expensive but you will regret it if you don't indulge or go in and have a look. It used to be Princess Diana's favourite place for kaiserschmarren. You will see it from the chairlift up to Lech. Have a wonderful time and make sure you do the White Circle and test your speed up at Oberlech.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skilegs wrote:
It used to be Princess Diana's favourite place for kaiserschmarren

Is that austrian for nookie?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 16-02-08 7:24; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richmond - I think you mean Zurs!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lech/Zurs has been full of royal families lately.
The whole Dutch royal family, King Carl Gustav and his wife from Sweden, Princess Caroline from Monaco and King Abdullah and his family from Jordan, and a lot of other celebrities ...
ski holidays
Skilegs, well spotted. I've edited.
latest report
i had the best value meal ive had skiing in lech barbeced king prawns salad garlic bread and beer for £10 my friend had a great plate of charcuterie for the same price. dread to think of cost in courchevel. its not cheap but certainly no worse than the french mega domains. lovely skiing round zurs the iteniarie down from zurs to lech is a lovely run (on the weiss ring)
snow conditions
I think it's fair to say that Lech/St. Anton is one of the best resorts in Europe. I would however only recommend a stay in Zug for quite decent skiers. As mentioned above, you do need to ski a skiroute (marked route, no piste) to return. I do like these runs very much, but I know people who don't Wink. The only other option is by bus, which is indeed a 7-10 minute ride.
ski holidays
Eyeopener, but the 'ski route' from Zürs back to Zug is very much skied out, so it's as good as pisted, and I don't think it's more difficult than an average red run. No? The itinerary from Kriegerhorn back down to Zug is a different matter though Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy