Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good digital compact camera recommendations.

Poster: A snowHead
does anyone have any recommendations for a compact digital that takes great shots for mountain landscapes and action shots? Want crisp hi res pictures and fast to fire off a photo (my current camera takes about 6 seconds to turn on and about 3 to take the picture - bit useless for skishots!) Oh - and I'm broke so seeing as I'll be spending the banks money, I need to be modest. Am tempted by the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 but at £200 (the cheapest price I can find for it) it's at the top end of my budget and want to make sure it's the right one before I hand over the credit card. Any better and possibly cheaper ones out there? Or just better ones that aren't thousands and I can wait for them to come up cheaper or second hand on ebay!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sallywt, there are many threads on the topic of digital cameras. You might like to try playing around with the search function.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have been through the first 6 pages that come up from using the search function and can only find posts on DSLR cameras and video cams - as well as best storage for both of these! Thanks though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nikon P5100.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_Camera/IXUS/Digital_IXUS_70/index.asp

Here you go mate - enough said. Just buy one of these, I use one and it's brilliant, handles all tyoes of shot/light/video etc and good value too.

No point getting too scientific on a compact - but I'm sure many on this board will disagree Happy!!!!

Good luck
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
we have the panasonic lumix one you are talking about (although ours was the first model they made of it with only 6megapixels i think) and it is fantastic, really amazing piccies and a great zoom for a compact
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sallywt, I just tried searching against 'Casio' - which happens to be the make of my camera, bought on snowHead recommendations - you'll find loads of threads there. Hope this helps.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are a couple of longish threads on Apres - do a search on sth like TZ3, casio, exilim, mju and they're sure to come up. I agonised for months and finally plumped for the Lumix TZ3 and am very pleased. Helen Beaumont put a link on one of those threads to a UK mail order firm which I ended up using and saved myself best part of 100 squid in the process.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
oh perfect thank you - I was searching on equipment review. Will get reading and should stop me doing any work for at least another hour (and then another two or three comparing prices and reading online reviews) Oh and maybe an hours lunch on between. Bonus. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A vote for the Panasonic Lumix - very nice camera. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
canon digi ixus 860is
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Canon Powershot G9.

Alternatively, replace your mobile phone with a Nokia N95, you get a 5Mp camera on it that isn't too shabby.

Digital Ixus 70 is a good one too.

Take a look at the Aspen Trip Report or Canyons Trip Report threads posted by me in the Apres Zone last week for some sample shots with the Powershot and the N95.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is a great website for reviews of all types of diital cameras

www.dpreview.com
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat thank you - those are awesome pictures. I can look at all these cameras as much as I like but the best way is to look at pictures that people have taken on them - though I realise that it does take some skill too.. Very Happy so that is really helpful. I swapped my Nokia for a samsung g6oo as it was meant to be a great camera but the lag time is unbelievable - about 3 seconds. I just have shots of unidentified blurred objects from it. (mostly the cat)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ricoh Caplio R6 for me, though they're on the R7 or maybe even R8 by now.

Big resolution, big (optical) zoom, big battery life, small form factor. And cheap enough that I'm not scared of taking it somewhere where I might break it.
ski holidays
oh - have found a really useful tool - go to flickr.com, find the camera you are interested in (or 10 that I currently am) and you can click to see all the pcitures taken with that camera...categorised into 'landscape', 'action' etc etc handy.
thanks everyone for all your help
snow report
Another vote for the Lumix TZ3. Superb camera, v fast to power on, little/no shutter lag, and a 15x optical zoom... Shocked

There are shed loads going cheap on ebay. I picked up a brand new one for 150 quid.
latest report
A few example TZ3 pics. Links are to full size images:

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7571/p1010176af1.jpg

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/7797/p1010286bd2.jpg

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/6560/cedarbowlcx0.jpg

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6459/p1010293yy9.jpg

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/4637/p1010294qw1.jpg

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1660/p1010305tq2.jpg

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 14-02-08 15:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
hd, is the TZ3 not 10x optical?
snow conditions
another vote for the G9 powershot. i just got one and at really is superb
it's a bit more than GBP200 tho Sad
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Yes, 10x optical
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Up to 15x optical if megapixels are reduced to 5M or below. Those pics were taken on the 3M setting to save space on my piddly 64mb memory card. (must buy a bigger one...)

The last pic of the 6 I listed above was taken on about 8x zoom.
snow report
hd wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Up to 15x optical if megapixels are reduced to 5M or below. Those pics were taken on the 3M setting to save space on my piddly 64mb memory card. (must buy a bigger one...)

The last pic of the 6 I listed above was taken on about 8x zoom.

Really? I must read the manual sometime wink
snow report
Right - decision made - TZ3 it is....very nice shots hd Now lets see if I can get one for £150 on ebay and also convince the bloke that he wants to go halves with me...(ie lets hope he doesn't cotton on that I'll get it even if he doesn't and not going to exactly bar him from using it!)
Would love the G9 but it's a bit beyond budget and not so many on ebay... Sad
ski holidays
hd, sounds like a bit of a fudge! It's not actually increasing the optical zoom - the lens isn't linked to the resolution. All it's doing is manipulating the pixels. The lens is probably the equivalent of a 28-280mm, hence the 10x optical. (but I could be completely wrong - just doesn;t make sense if the optics are producing 15x zoom, then they are doing that irrespective of resolution.)

great camera none the less, with a very good lens!
snow conditions
http://www.ukdigitalcameras.co.uk/

I think that's the site I used on Helen Beaumont's recommendation. They give a 2 year guarantee too - better than risking eBay imo.

These pics were taken with my TZ3 on the first weekend out in December:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/skilaax/LaaxMidDecember2007
ski holidays
ooh, if I still neeeded convincing I think you've done it...lovely pics.
found it here for £154 with a 2 year warranty - bit cheaper than the above link.
http://www.sundigital.co.uk/products/show/panasonic-lumix-dmctz3-black-digital-camera
or £115 inc postage on ebay with a 1 year warranty...
hmmmm.... Confused
snow report
Each compact camera is a series of compromises. Things to look for (and rate according to their importance to you) include:

- quality of lens (distortion, corner sharpness)
- speed of autofocus
- dynamic range (the capacity to record both dark shadows and bright areas in a photo without turning them into pure black and pure white)
- wideangle lens (usually more important than telephoto)
- digital noise on photos (or loss of detail due to elimination of digital noise)
- pleasing colours (subjective, to some extent)
- "burst" mode
- maybe most importantly, have a look at photography sites and search for images taken with that camera – see if you like them!

On that last criterion, sallywt seems to have found her camera! (and the TZ3 does get good press).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sallywt, I am on my second Lumix (having sat (!) on the first). Great results. I went for the little one as I can keep it handy in my pocket. A friend has the not quite so compact one with the X10 optical zoom. It's very impressive. Great lenses, software and anti-shake tech.
ski holidays
... can the G9 be carried in a ski jacket pocket, or is it at backpack job .... ?
ski holidays
oh help me please before the bloke goes mental that I'm still on the laptop trying to buy a camera on valentines... (I'm the geek in this relationship) but I want it delivered for Saturday so under pressure! Trying to get a bundle with a memory card so i can use it straight away but all the SD memory cards have this speed performance rating thing, specifically the bundle I have found has a 'class 6' is this slow and class 1 fast or the other way around? Have been googling but not explanation offered...other than 'based on SD 2.00 Specification' ??? any clues? Puzzled
snow report
BernardC, if it's a small pocket, then no, otherwise it should fit.
latest report
sallywt, .... sorry can't help - do the vendors have a telephone contact - try that, or telephone your local late shopping Dixons or Currys etc, ASAP.
snow report
sallywt,
Class 2: 2 MB/s
Class 4: 4 MB/s
Class 6: 6 MB/s

Class 6 = GOOD. Very Happy

Should add... SD 2.0 Specifications are the ones that cover SDHC (high capacity) cards, which go up to 32GB at the minute.

(I'd recommend buying 1GB or 2GB cards, rather than the bigger ones)
snow conditions
sallywt,

Highly recommend Canon Ixus 75

Purchased express delivery from amazon

See here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-IXUS-75-Digital-Camera/dp/B000NUT92W/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1203019339&sr=8-1&tag=amz07b-21

Offering Sat delivery still
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, ... thanks ...

... just for some bit of comparasion, these are recent photos I took on my Sony, which just comes out of its case - point & shoot .....

I know there are a lot of variables with photos and this is probably a marginally silly question, but generally, would the G9 take a consistently better photo ... ? (You can use Fenlandskier,'s magic to see what settings the above photos were taken on, but my camera is Sony Cybershot DSC T1 - about 5 years old - 3 X Optical zoom & 5.0 megapixels, with Carl Zeiss lens). All comments greatly appreciated .. in my great quest to take better photos to adorn these illustrious pages of snowHeads .... Laughing
snow conditions
Nice pics.
OK, the headline differences (and they are noticeable):
6x optical zoom - you get in a lot closer
12 megapixels - BIG pics (4000x3000), that means even if you crop it down to just a small corner of the image
Optical viewfinder (if it's too bright to see the LCD)

Other differences:
Great macro facility - down to 1cm
Bigger ISO range - 80-1600 (although 1600 is grainy)
Optical image stablisation.
Wider aperture range (2.8-4.8 )
Wider shutter speed range (15s - 1/2500)
Stronger flash
1024x768 video

Click here for the rest of the differences.
latest report
I have the Canon 850IS which I think is the predeccessor to the 860. Very compact, point & shoot or some manual control, has a wider angle lens than most other compact cameras I looked at (good for panoramic shots and indoor shots), the image stabiliser seems to work well, you can buy a waterproof housing for it (great for beach & pool shots of the kids); fairly fast at taking photos (although not in the same league as a DSLR) and genrally produces good shots.
ski holidays
oops, bit drunk, pressed some buttons and noticed a 'thank you for your order' page. didn't mean to be quite so rash there. oh well, the fates obviously led my fingers and I shall be a proud owner of the TZ3 on Saturday by 1pm. Cheers...hic.
snow report
sallywt, sounds good! I think it's the new version of the cam my mate has, a lovely bit of kit!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy