Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's the best resort you know for getting demo/test skis ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My impression is that things are better in North America due to the customer service approach.

Certainly 'freebies' seem to be a North American, rather than a European feature.

I also suspect that shops where you can pay to hire the good gear for a day are more prevalent over there. Many European shops may have the gear you want - but not for rental.

My experience, if you go into many normal ski shops, is that they are often uninterested unless they think you will buy the ski from them.

You also run into the problem that certain countries tend to favour particular brands.

I think the situation is even worse with snowboards - shops just concentrate on the basic end of the market
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are some demo events, Rossignol usually run event days in certain resorts. I don't know of any other manufacturer who does. Most good ski shops will allow you to use a different hire ski each day. For example, Jennewein in St Anton carry a good range of stock and will discount the price of new skis to cover the hire.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Precision ski in Val d'Isere are excellent. For obvious reasons only the more popular brands of skis are available for general hire, but I believe that they have a demo store at La Daille, where you can take out almost any ski that they have in stock.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David@traxvax wrote:
There are some demo events, Rossignol usually run event days in certain resorts. I don't know of any other manufacturer who does. Most good ski shops will allow you to use a different hire ski each day. For example, Jennewein in St Anton carry a good range of stock and will discount the price of new skis to cover the hire.

I was thinking more of places where you do not need to go to an event.

There was a place, half way up the mountain in Blackcomb, that offered the sort of service I am thinking of - every day of the season.

I will admit that I used to think France was better than Austria/ Switzerland - but only because it was French gear I was looking to try at the time. Even then, they tried to push me towards GS skis.

Currently I would like to try Rossignol B1/B2 , Volkl 5/6 and K2 Apache Crossfire/ Hellfire. So I am covering a range of countries.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
that's interesting as I'm off to Val in January and have been considering trading my PRs for something more suited to me : I don;t think I do enough off piste to justify having them

Do you have to book in advance, is it worth me contacting them before I go out?

We're up on the Solaise so La Daille (IIRC) is not too far away, although not exactly next door...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
No need to book, pop in the night before, have a chat and see what they have. The guys seem pretty clued up to me. Try some Zags, there a proper ski and will do all the PR does but better and ski on piste as well. Metrons have to worth a go as well.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Going through a similar thought process at the moment. Looking to try either/and:
Volkl 5*, Head XRC 800, Volkl 724, K2 Apache Crossfire.

I'm guessing that it might be a good idea to book one of these in advance - going to La Ros for the week commencing 26/12, so the hire shopes could be on the busy side.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mark if you go to our site there's a click through to Twinners, you can email Phillpe Fresnois and I'm sure he'll help you. Wot no Dynastars on the list?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David, got your pm on that - thanks. Certainly consider Dynastars if there's a comparitive ski. 70/30 piste/off piste, stiff enough to carve hard and fast (ish) for someone of my weight (98kgs).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mark, try the Legend series probably the 6200 in about 182 cms. If you want to try some other Dynastars we have a good few, even Masque has bought a pair and new ski boots. He's determined to do the Fleche this season.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm going to have to get down there for the last week aren't I? Some gauntlets can't be ignored. I look into the 6200s. I've been looking at around 170 cms for most of the skis - any reason to go for 182?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Val Thorens. Right next to the piste, in the town centre is Goitschel Sports.
When we were there, they had a rack of skis outside and u could just roll up and take out any set for 2hrs, come back and swap them for another set and carry on like that all day.
Cost? Nothing!

What's more, upon showing a bit of informed interest, the guy would buzz down to the hire dept and make anything there available to U too.

That's the best one I know.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
u brain wrote:
Val Thorens. Right next to the piste, in the town centre is Goitschel Sports.
When we were there, they had a rack of skis outside and u could just roll up and take out any set for 2hrs, come back and swap them for another set and carry on like that all day.
Cost? Nothing!

What's more, upon showing a bit of informed interest, the guy would buzz down to the hire dept and make anything there available to U too.

That's the best one I know.

That would take some beating.

Was there a limit to stop you doing this all week ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, u would be back, asking the same guy for skis again and he could give u funny French looks etc.

He was very good though, interested, informative and quite efficient in 'homing in' on the sort of thing u were after. I recall a comment about not trying to test 'too many' different skis for fear of confusing oneself rolling eyes

I think we took out a couple of sets latish one day, then did a full day of 4 pairs each. By then, we were both in love with Pocket Rockets so we hired a pair of 165's and 175's for the whole day. They would have knocked the hire fee off a subsequent purchase had we made one.

The other thing to stop u is that as fantastic as it is to spend a day comparing skis like this, there's so much other skiing to be done in Val-T and the 3v's that U just wouldn't want to be tied to coming back to the shop every 2 hrs.
So the answer is 'Yes' snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mark, for your weight you may find slightly longer skis to be better off-piste. Most skis seem to have a change around the 180 cms mark, the longer skis being stiffer.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy