Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Banff - best way to take/use money

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys

I'm off to Banff for a couple of weeks on 23rd Feb.

I'll take about $200 with me but was wondering if anyone knows the best way of using money out there? If I use my Maestro (used to be called switch) to withdraw money at ATMs will I get charged? The same goes for using my Maestro to pay for things. Also, what about my Mastercard credit card - if I use that to withdraw from the ATM or to pay for things will I get charged?!

Sorry for this ultra specific question but my travel agent couldn't help so I thought you guys might be able to!!!

X
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Inga, you should be OK taking money out of an ATM with your bank card. Most bank ATMs are free, but the ones you find in pubs/shops will charge you - probably $2-3 per transaction. Your bank may also charge you for the withdrawal. So, if you are taking money out, take it out in large amounts as this will cost you less than say, taking out $50 a day.
I doubt if your Maestro card will work when shopping, as I believe that is not accepted in North America.
Don't use your credit card to get money out of an ATM as it will cost you in interest from the minute you take the money out - no matter how quickly you pay it off.
I'd recommend using your credit card for most shopping. It may not be the best exchange rate, but it certainly won't be the worst.

Hope that helps!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
I doubt if your Maestro card will work when shopping, as I believe that is not accepted in North America.

Inga, ignore the idiot who said that. He doesn't have a clue what he's babbling on about half the time. Wink
According to the Maestro website, the Maestro card is widely accepted in Canada
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I *think* you can use a generic maestro / switch card without any problems over there - my bank gives me a visa debit card though. You will be probably be charged a fee for each transaction, plus the bank will charge you a slightly higher exchange rate. If you use your credit card the same applies, plusif you use it to withdraw money you get charged interest from the time you withdraw, you don;t get the interest free period you do with purchases

The *best* way is to open a current account and credit card with Nationwide and put some money in the current account before you go. WIthdrawals and purchase are fee-free and better still are at the mid-rate rather than the bank rate. I have done this myself purely for holidays - I normally bank with smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Inga, I would ask the question direct to your bank, they will confirm if they charge you for withdrawing money abroad and how much they charge.
We got our Dollars before we went and stored them in the Hotel safe. Most places are comission free now so I just bought them first.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 13-02-08 20:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
maestro does work in Banff. There are at least two banks with cashtills on Banff avenue. Most debit cards charge a 1.5% fee on withdrawn money. Credit cards would be worse.

I am off next week and will take $400 to get us going then use the cashtill as required. I have a nationwide and a HSBC premier card that don't charge for international withdrawals.

The alternative is to take a stash of money wth you, my hotel had safe boxes in the room to stash valuables.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Take cash or join the Nationwide.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One thing you can do, which I have done, is meet people in line for tickets, having dinner etc.... offer to pay their bill on your card and take cash off them. you get cash, collect points if you have one of those cards, therefore it can be worth giving them a incentive 'discount' to make the deal with you.
otherwise, try to take money out of the banks ATM.
Don't use credit unions, or those un-assigned holes in the way, they all charge a fee.
Also, when buying from some stores, grocery stores are good for this, you can get cash out for no charge when buying stuff, this is only good if you use a debit card, and my australian debit card used to work here in whistler, it has expired now, and i don't know if UK debit cards work.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Inga, i third the recommendations to get a nationwide account and credit card. no problems taking money out and no charges for transactions, all with excellent exchange rates (remember you're getting CAD$ in canada so they're giving you literally what your £ is worth). remember not to get cash advances against your credit card or you will be charged a fee for that no matter whom you bank with. use your cash to tip the excellent staff in earl's and the saltlik.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a Nationwide account and always just transfer some dosh into it before I go. There was a comparison of holiday money a while back in the papers and nobody even came close. Saved me about 6% a few months ago in a long weekend in Austria. OK, only about 10 quid but that's a few beers !
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Inga, I've found the best way to use money is in the purchase of goods and services. Quite often people will place goods on show in places called shops and include prices on them (if they don't include the price, it's an expensive shop and best not to enter). Alternatively if you know what you want, for example a beer in Banff, go in to a pub and say, I'd like a beer please. The nice person behind the bar will very often be more than amenable to receiving money in compensation.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nickski, beat me to it! I was just composing it in my head Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have just returned from Banff and took the Nationwide visa debit card as recommended on this site, I found that this was not accepted in any of the cash machines I tried, I also have a First Direct Maestro card which worked ok, however I was charged a £1.75 transaction fee on every withdrawal. I'd be interested to hear how others got on with the Nationwide Visa Debit in Banff.................
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bluestar-ale, had absolutely no problems getting cash out with my flexaccount card from any machine i tried but then again it wasn't a debit card. it is strange your debit card wouldn't work when a no-frills ordinary card would. as you say, it will be interesting to hear if anybody else had hassles with their nationwide debit card.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thewahwah, my Nationwide flexaccount card is debit card
snow report
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=493651&page=3

Looks like this is a common problem, and possibly a recent one, as we had no problems when we visited. Is it just in Banff or all over Canada ?
snow report
bluestar-ale, I found that both my Nationwide debit card and my Abbey Visa Credit card were only accepted in the machines in the banks when I was in Canada.

Neither of them worked in any of the machines in shops/filling stations/ski resort lodges/hotels.

This was OK in Banff where the banks were in walking distance from the hotel, but not so good in Jasper, where we neeeded a cab to get to the town.
ski holidays
Anyone know if the cash advance fee is inapplicable if the Nationwide Visa card is in credit?

I'm familiar with the technique (used it on another card yonks ago), but thought that it was no longer supported.

I think the zero exchange commission cards are the Nationwide and post office at the mo.

If you could transfer all your spending money into a Nationwide visa in advance and spend or withdraw it with no fee then this would be the cheapest way of all.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, great minds . . . and fools !
snow conditions
crosbie, no need to if there is no fee with your debit card though. I am sure cc companies are advising against loading up your cards with credit in case of fraud, which would divest you of all your cash.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy