Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Accident rates soaring... or are they?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Bumper snowfall in Nov/Dec lead to more than the normal number of avalanche deaths at the very start of this season. However, despite perception remaining that accident rates are soaring this season, this turns out not to be the case. Seminal back-country site PisteHors.com has published a report, "Ski Accidentology"... which looks into the accident figures from a slightly more balanced perspective than some might tend to: http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0809-ski-accidentology/?gid=809000

snowHeads discussion on it here.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the link to my website and discussion. It is always tempting fate to publish such articles but at present it certainly looks like avalanche deaths and incident rates are going to be pretty low this year in France and Switzerland.

Although the conditions can still change we don't seem set for a major evolution before the 20th February by which time we will be nearly half the way through the school holiday period which accounts for quite a few incidents. March can still be a dangerous month with a return to winter conditions.

The corollary is that there do seem to be slightly more falls (hard, icy snow in the morning) but you need to view the figures as a whole.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
admin wrote:
despite perception remaining that accident rates are soaring this season

Is that true? I certainly didn't have that impression.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
your problem though laundryman, is that you're just too well informed Wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tracing this back, I looked at the pistehors article. The article states at the end of para 1 and start of para 2:
Quote:
The office phone was ringing hot last week as British journalists tried to find an interesting angle on the death of a 40 year old doctor in Val d’Isère. The Telegraph wondered about the “the rise of snowsports injuries” ...

It's not quite clear if that phrase was used on the "ringing hot phone", perhaps by an inquisitive Telegraph reporter, or if the Telegraph actually reported/published a "rise of snowsports injuries".

Having dealt with a lot of this data in the past, it's imperative to relate the figures to the number of 'skier days' or 'skier visits', because rises in injuries can obviously occur when the market grows (perhaps because of a season with good snow, or good economic conditions). For example, one might state X head injuries per 1000 (or 10,000) skier visits in 2006, against a comparable figure in 2007.

But let's get to the facts: has the Telegraph reported a rise in snowsports injuries? If so, what was the data source?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
P.S. the only recent Telegraph article I can find on this subject area concerns alcohol and skiing:

Skiers must stay off the piste [1 Feb 2008, by Peter Pallot, who I know has written about ski-related health/insurance matters for about 20 years]
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith, ... I think you will find some of the references on Pistehors website by following admin, 's link above.

I have linked to just these two here due to time constraints.

The Telegraph

and the Guardian
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I see no reference to accident rates soaring, or perceived to be soaring. The Guardian piece seems quite sensibly researched. The Telegraph piece has some rather random data.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy