Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

[Rant] Why can't people learn how to carry skis properly?

Poster: A snowHead
mark_s,
Quote:

As long as I'm not knocking you out with them, what's your problem?

Haven't got one! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So is this correct ?

http://www.abc-of-skiing.com/learn-skiing/carrying-your-skis.asp

Or are the skis supposed to be flat on the shoulder, rather than edge on ??

Laughing Obviously the is referring to the perfect "expert" skier technique
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
taemo, I'd say flat, so as not to slice your ski jacket to ribbons, and tipping them downwards more at the front: it would be particularly unfriendly of a short person to carry them quite so horizontally! But I'm only an intermediate ski carrier, a real expert will probably be along soon.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Steilhang, My thoughts exactly. I carry mine whichever way is easiest at the time. when walking on icy carparks that means holding them clipped together by the brakes in one hand, poles in the other giving me support. When standing in gondola queues a similar approach, when walking along paths, over the shoulder, normally tips backward which lets them balance nicely. Haven't hit anyone yet, but a nice length of ski waving around behind me tends to ensure I don't get jostled too much as I walk along Twisted Evil Laughing

P.S. a little ski strap to hold them together does make a difference if walking very far.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
taemo, No those skis are backwards. This limits their effective range and can even allow people to walk close enough behind you to nudge you with THEIR ski's Shocked

wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
WC skiing ----nowhere
Ski-carrying --experts

Conclusion about us Brits ? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry for bumping this old topic, but I wanted to read it after someone referred to it in the ongoing discussion (well, argument) about having expensive ski jackets or bargain ones.

I've noticed a real snobbery on this forum to do with people who either live and/or work in a resort all season and 'punters' who just go on holiday. It seems that if you only go skiing once a year, you're some kind of lesser species who deserves to be laughed at.

Well I've been skiing once or twice a year for the past 20 years, so I'm technically a 'punter' but when it comes to carrying skis, I have always carried mine with the tails down, but upright so that the bindings rest on my arm. I'm always conscious of people behind me and I'm careful not to risk belting anyone. I find this very comfortable and convenient. I've tried carrying my skis tips down and they felt far heavier and less balanced, and were also more difficult to lift down! I'm female, so maybe that makes a difference.

I think that as long as the way you carry your skis works for you and doesn't endanger anyone else, what's the problem? I didn't even know there was a 'right' and 'wrong' way to carry skis. Obviously the esteemed 'non-punters'on Snowheads have been laughing at me on my two pitiful weeks a year in the snow for the past two decades.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 9-12-08 0:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I did a Design & Technology B ed. For my major project I designed and made a (then - 1991) revolutionary ski carrying system with a difference. The working prototype and drawings are somewhere in the loft. I've still not seen anything like it around (or about). Any products developed out of our course were 'owned' by the Polytechnic (remember them?), so I did nowt with it.

One of these days......
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Picadilly, I'm a punter too, and proud of it! snowHead

I Like Bandit B2's and Fondue. I also like Bombardinos, and carrying my ski's however feels most comfortable.

Never let the snobbery of the privileged few who get to ski more than a couple of weeks a year get to you - Gits!. Twisted Evil

Ooops, just remembered that with the Bashes, the family trips and the lads week I did 6 weeks last year Embarassed

But as anyone who saw me ski will verify - I'M STILL A PUNTER! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Maybe someone could provide a photo of the correct way to carry skis!! Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chrisdavis wrote:
I did a Design & Technology B ed. For my major project I designed and made a (then - 1991) revolutionary ski carrying system with a difference. The working prototype and drawings are somewhere in the loft. I've still not seen anything like it around (or about). Any products developed out of our course were 'owned' by the Polytechnic (remember them?), so I did nowt with it.

One of these days......

get signed up to dragons den
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Help - I've got twintips, what should I do? WHAT SHOULD I DO??
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
you have to nuskool it be grinding and buttering your way around.

which reminds me don't think my sling will fit round my new fatter skis.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cunners, shouldn't make any difference - you don't hold them by the ends.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Like this snowHead
snow conditions
Or this (very quick sketch)

RachelQ very nice photo Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 9-12-08 14:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Surely your ski valet carries the skis after helping you on with the boots:?
The 5 metre walk from the Hotel De Charme Les Airelles to the jardin Alpin piste would otherwise be insufferable. Mad
He must also be there with a fur wrap & hot toddy on you return Very Happy
latest report
There's the "right" way and a whole bunch of "wrong" ways to do just about ANYTHING! "Right" way to carry skis, "right" ways to ski, etc.

Bode Miller skis the "wrong" way for a long time. But now his way are not quite so "wrong" any more after he beat the pants off a whole lot of skiers skiing the "right" way! Smile

There could very well be a good reason why many prefer to ski this way or carry their skis that way. It's quite likely it works "well enough" for most of the average body type. But that's NOT neccessarily THE BEST way for ALL body type and physical shape. And a far cry from "the right way" for EVERYONE!

So whoever thinks their way of carrying skis are the "right" way simply because that's how they're "taught", or that's how many others do it that way, are mere sheeps following the herd! Sorry to be so direct. Sad

When in doubt, just look at how Bode ski!
snow report
Guilty! I'm rubbish at carrying skis. I normally do the handle thing with the poles and carry them that way...
ski holidays
I was taught to shoulder my skis with the tips down, but can't for the life of me remember why. Seems to me that, so long as they're held upright and not in such a way as to decapitate other punters (or, in my pixie-esque case, sever them at the torso Embarassed ) any way is fine.
snow conditions
Hurtle, Thought you were going to say 'take them off at the kneecaps" Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Axsman, OK, maybe I was boasting a bit. Laughing
ski holidays
snowball, nice sketch! However it seems that the skis are sticking out quite a long way at the back, so I fail to see how it's any better than carrying them the other way round! With my way, they're almost upright and very easy to put down without having to swing them off your shoulder.

abc wrote:

So whoever thinks their way of carrying skis are the "right" way simply because that's how they're "taught", or that's how many others do it that way, are mere sheeps following the herd! Sorry to be so direct. Sad

I agree, and I also don't think that which way up you carry your skis necessarily dictates whether you're a hardened pro or 'punter'. I'm a sure few sheep with all the gear and no idea would change them round the other way just to follow the crowd!
snow report
As is clear from snowball's sketch, the length of ski from toe piece to tip is generally greater than from heel piece to tail. Hence, when carrying on the shoulder the weight of your arm resting on the skis counterbalances the weight of the skis behind the shoulder and makes the carrying effortless (apart from the digging in to the shoulder/cutting your £400 jacket parts of course). The other way round is quite literally a pain.

Indeed,with this technique RachelQ can not only carry her skis on her shoulder, but can also carry mine on her backpack as shown. This truly makes it effortless Toofy Grin

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 9-12-08 15:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Hurtle, the ski is longer at the front of the bindings than at the back, so if your shoulder is just in front of the binding the ski is more ballanced - in fact the weight of your arm in front will do it.

But really I don't know why I'm joining in this discussion - do it however you like. Nothing to rant about uless you are hitting other people.
ski holidays
snowball, ah. That makes sense. Thank you.
snow report
how the hell are you supposed to pick up and put your skis down easily if you carry them tips down? Fu*k the 'rules', tips up is way more practical.
snow conditions
I tend to think the "right" way was developed before skis got lighter and bindings heavier. Accodingly, skis carried that way now are not as well balanced as they were. It may be time for a re-evaluation.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skiben wrote:
how the hell are you supposed to pick up and put your skis down easily if you carry them tips down? Fu*k the 'rules', tips up is way more practical.

My point exactly!
latest report
as is also clear from snowball's sketch, with the skis held that way you already have a hand at the tip end of the skis making it an easy matter to allow that arm to raise and the tails to point towards the ground before slipping them off the shoulder. Hardly a difficult operation Puzzled
snow report
picadilly, ive worked 2 seasons and been on 10 other ski holidays but I don't give a rat's ass how anyone carries their skis and agree with abc about the sheep mentality of those who do. some young austrian hotshot racer will no doubt come and sh*t on their parade carrying their skis on the bridge of their nose and they'll no doubt be on the new bandwagon.
latest report
as long as you don't obstruct others or cause injury, who cares.
snow conditions
queen bodecia wrote:
Guilty! I'm rubbish at carrying skis. I normally do the handle thing with the poles and carry them that way...

believe it or not this is known as the Texas suitcase wink

,,and I'm pretty sure Bode doesn't carry one.
snow conditions
Yoda wrote:
as is also clear from snowball's sketch, with the skis held that way you already have a hand at the tip end of the skis making it an easy matter to allow that arm to raise and the tails to point towards the ground before slipping them off the shoulder. Hardly a difficult operation Puzzled

But this involves twisting your arm awkwardly trying to put the skis down, as opposed to just.. putting them down. Crazy to put extra strain on yourself for the sake of the 'rules', but each to their own i guess...and how do u pick them up? seems you'd have to swing the butt end around, knocking someone out, or doing some crazy manoevre involving the skis being behind you???

anyway, to whoever said they've never seen any good skier pick them up tips up, ive seen loads of hotshots my age doing it so maybe its a generational thing...
snow report
Well of course you would only shoulder skis in an open area, not in a confined space with other folk around - if in the latter you would carry them vertically with tips up.

Anyways, I'm taking the snowball sanction on this - suit yourselves Toofy Grin
latest report
skiben, You lean the skis against the back of your shoulder, reach up and pull while walking forwards so no-one behind you is in any danger. You can lower them before you stop walking so again there is no danger of clouting someone behind you.

I think I read it in the Bluffer's Guide to Sking - the correct way to carry your skis is with tips in front of you and bindings behind your shoulder, no reason...it just looks cooler! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
The point about lighter bindings on earier skis is certainly true, but I was taught as a child around late 50s to carry them points up and almost vertical, the back end resting on the palm. I just find the other way more comfortable if I'm carrying them any distance.
ski holidays
I only got to level 3 on the ski carrying course. The SKGB people types won't walk with me whilst carrying skis. rolling eyes
latest report
Book a ski in ski out hotel and save carrying them all together Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Garfield, I hear ya................ SKI, DON'T WALK Cool Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy