Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

[Rant] Why can't people learn how to carry skis properly?

Poster: A snowHead
pam w,
Quote:
Steilhang, NO, sorry, you are not getting the hang of this at all. You have so much more fun if you feel effortlessly superior to those carrying their skis the "wrong" way, sneer at those wearing the "wrong" thing and post pictures of them on the internet, or criticise their choice of planks. Get up to speed, will you.....
I don't need visible evidence of other peoples inferiority. I just know I'm better Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In this age of shorter skis, if you're tall enough or your skis short enough, there is another acceptable way to carry them which is base-to-base and brakes interlocked, vertically in front of shoulder and tails down, with ipsilateral arm round front of the skis and hand under the front binding. Just make sure you've got the skis facing the right way round so that your hand is supporting the front binding of the ski with the brakes lowermost, or when you try to lift up, the front ski will just lift off the back one.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, ha ha that's a v good story, but i've not heard it. the story i heard was a couple of basi trainers at start of course watched candidates walk up to the group with the skis, and guessed who would pass or fail. i believe they got it pretty much right.

not as good a story as yours though!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I will probably get shot down for this but.....

What about the webbing slings that you loop over the skis and carry like a rifle. Surely safer for those nearby and less pain on the shoulder.

Stands back and waits for the flack.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well I carry them "wrong", always have.
The "right" way feels wrong to me.

Oh....and I'm a well 'ard, steeze ridin' ripper....grrrrr Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JP, I have a sling thing, but it's not worth the hassle for a short walk, and because it's a few years old, it's a bit of a squeeze to get modern skis into it. It's very good for walking any distance though. But as I said, I never have it with me when I need it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i'd take tips from those who carry their skis day after day year in year out. I don't recall seeing any pros carrying their skis anyway other than tips down bindings behind shoulder. Apart from in crowds / on ice where held in the hand vertically is safest.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When I started skiing a few years ago, someone lent me" Ski Tips 1" by Martin Heckleman. Besides teaching you how to ski, he shows the viewer the correct way to carry skis and poles.

Hence I always carry my skis the correct way and poles in a position so as not to poke someone in the face when ascending steps etc.

Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JP, Somebody gave me one for last christmas, and I used it whenever I was carrying the skis more than a few yards on my trip this year.

Much more convenient and comfortable.

It was what was under the link in my previous post Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Try to minimise walking with skis by having on piste accomodation. But walking in gondola ques I carry them vertically in front of me so to give people more space and not hit people with them.

When walking to restaurants I will carry them under the arm because it is much more comfortable. If you carry on your shoulder instead of a jab to the ribs, your poking someones eye out. So it depends on the circumstances. If your clumsy your accident walking with skiing anyway.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
slikedges, I've used that method quite often but on my most recent trip the ski bases did not come together sufficiently to allow the brakes to interlock with each other sufficiently to let me carry the skis. I assume it was the design of the ski andn ot some fault as the skis were fine when attached to my boots. Most infuriating.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
slikedges,
Quote:

ipsilateral

Nice word! Toofy Grin (I carry my skis that way quite often - always in a building and/or if there are lots of people around - but, having a (typically female) deficient spatial sense, it took me ages to work out that I could in fact do so without the skis separating. Embarassed)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I tend to carry my skis the way slikedges described. The main reason for it, is I don't have to SWING the ski over my head TWICE, if I were to carry them on my shoulder tips down.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alex_heney, I like the look of your strappy thing but fear I would lose interest.

When I was first taught to ski (about 35 years ago) ski school, parents, friends, teachers and I seem to recall even the Sunday Times ski bible all stressed that there was a correct way to carry your skis. Rubber strap round tips, safety straps tied around heel cables and skis on your shoulders, tips down and skis as upright as you could manage.

There was good reason for this.

Tips down kept the sharp bit in sight and reduced the risk of them going in someone's eyes, ear, collar, etc. Keeping them upright reduced the risk of "boom-swing" injury.

Not so much has changed except you don't need to worry about rubber straps and heel cables. At least not generally on skis. There is this chalet I've heard of though...

pam w, just to defend myself against any imagined slight, the reason for my frustration (and rant) was 5 separate occasions on Sunday when some careless idiot nearly took out (delete as appropriate) my, Mrs M's, Mrs M's sister's or a few of the kids we were skiing with, eyes, ears, goggles, priceless ear decoration, et al. because for a variety of reasons they weren't carrying their skis in the appropriate fashion.

It's easier and safer to use the approved technique. No sneering involved although there was some colourful language and temptation to resort to violence (it would have nbeen OK - they were Italians and wearing particularly violent colours so they'd have started it wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Personally , I find the most convenient and comfortable place for skis is attached to my lower limbs ... boy we've hit the depths of summer ....

'Skis and how to carry them' .... Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
oh dear, i hope all the punters dont cotton on that there is a "right" way to carry their kit, i'll miss my early morning pick-me-up giggle in the lift lines! oh, and why do so many people unclip all the buckles, inc the power strap, and flop down the street looking like an extra from thunderbirds??
ski holidays
the_doc, I hope the punters don't cotton to to you considering that they're "punters"...
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
Strapped to your Helipack Toofy Grin

Seconded, just back from a few days in Chamonix with all that walking through the town, my Helipack was a godsend!! I almost felt sorry enough for my mate carrying his board everywhere to strap his board on too.......... well almost Laughing
latest report
David Murdoch, ... I can add another morsel to your ranting and join in the chorus .... Toofy Grin ... those persons of dubious parentage, who 'dump' their skis in telecabines etc, only for skis to fall over when the telecabine leaves its dock ..... I have seen people injured, salopettes & jackets cut by ski edges and been on the receiving end of it myself .... though I don't tolerate it ...
ski holidays
 bloxy
bloxy
The answer of course is to ski in Deer Valley Utah where they have ski valets.

You pull up in your car outside of the lodge and a greeted by a ski valet who unloads your skis and carries them to the foot of the slopes for you! When we pulled up we thought we were being robbed Smile Strange place.
latest report
BernardC, yep. If you're going to put them by a wall, put them in a gravity well, not on a gravity slope. You wuold like to imagine that those participating in gravity driven sports would at least have the first idea of the concepts?
snow conditions
I have a fairly foolproof, typically female, way of ensuring that no-one is injured or inconvenienced by badly carried skis. I tuck my snowboard safely under my arm, walk directly behind my ski-carrying ‘other half’ and nag incessantly.
snow report
halfhand, it's also more difficult if using longer skis like the odd occasion I've had GS skis or backcountry skis

Hurtle, abc, it's really easy and convenient, isn't it? However, for longer distances across open ground I do revert to the traditional potentially decapitating method being discussed here.
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:
alex_heney, I like the look of your strappy thing but fear I would lose interest.

I can fit it in under 30 seconds.

Quote:

When I was first taught to ski (about 35 years ago) ski school, parents, friends, teachers and I seem to recall even the Sunday Times ski bible all stressed that there was a correct way to carry your skis. Rubber strap round tips, safety straps tied around heel cables and skis on your shoulders, tips down and skis as upright as you could manage.
There was good reason for this.

Tips down kept the sharp bit in sight and reduced the risk of them going in someone's eyes, ear, collar, etc. Keeping them upright reduced the risk of "boom-swing" injury.

Skis were generally longer then though. And had a "pointy end" wink

And I suspect with the longer skis, the bindings were set further back, so that there was significantly more ski between the bindings and the tips than between the bindings and the tails.

Quote:

pam w, just to defend myself against any imagined slight, the reason for my frustration (and rant) was 5 separate occasions on Sunday when some careless idiot nearly took out (delete as appropriate) my, Mrs M's, Mrs M's sister's or a few of the kids we were skiing with, eyes, ears, goggles, priceless ear decoration, et al. because for a variety of reasons they weren't carrying their skis in the appropriate fashion.

Well there are obviously ways which are inappropriate, and swinging the ends around at head height is clearly one of those.

But with modern skis, I really don't thnk it matters whether you carry them with tips up or tips down.
ski holidays
alex_heney, it probably doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. But if you [b[]are[/b] going to carry them on your shoulder, having the toe binding behind your shoulder and the tips down (generally) makes it easier to keep them more upright and therefore out of harm's way.

Good point on length though - I find it's significantly more comfortable carrying long skis (190+) than my little 165s. Skis were also a heck of a lot lighter. But I don't think the bindings were significantly further back, relatively speaking. In fact, comparing my 201s to my 165s they're proportionally about the same.
snow conditions
slikedges wrote:
Hurtle, abc, it's really easy and convenient, isn't it? However, for longer distances across open ground I do revert to the traditional potentially decapitating method being discussed here.

Absolutely, except that, being a pixie, I can cause different but equally interesting injuries to tall chaps! wink
snow report
BernardC, I have a tale similar to this one.

Last Monday after parking in Les Arcs 1800 I walked through one of the blocks of accomodation to get to the chair.

For some reason the architect decided to floor the building with rather slippy tiles.

The result was me landing on my rear much to the amusement of a boarder and two stiches to sew the top of my ear back together.
ski holidays
Across the shoulder 'yoke' style is fine, yes?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've got twin tips NehNeh
latest report
So has anyone go a photo of the accepted style, skis together, tips down, binding over the shoulder and skis flat ?

snowHead
snow report
The T-Dub Patent Ski Carrying Device is the best, if unfashionable, method of carrying skis.

Get 2 feet of string and tie together to make a loop. Clip skis together, place bottom loop under bottom binding, stick arm through and carry like a rifle.

Sadly as its not made out of space age materials or has an aggressive sounding name I doubt my device will catch on.
latest report
T-Dub, So rather like This then? wink
snow conditions
Yes, exactly.

You can buy a ball of string and still have change for less than £12.99.
snow conditions
Quote:

tend to carry my skis upright, wrap my arm around them and lift them by the bindings. I know it's supposed to be a "noob's" way of carrying them, but by the end of a week when I've spent 13-15 hours a day typing, my shoulder is often so frozen that both lifting my arm high enough to carry them properly and the weight on my shoulder are excruciating. Sorry and all that

yeah, I do this too for any short distance (I think slikedges is explaining the same thing) - it's great for gondola queues because its very compact - better than the shoulder for avoiding clonking people. If I'm walking any distance then they go on my shoulder in the traditional way - allows a bigger stride and safes the fingers from getting tired.
ski holidays
Anyone tried this Laughing Laughing

http://www.portaski.com/Landing/index.htm
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, ..... tut ... tut ... tut ... ! I note that the standard model doesn't have indicators fitted as standard ... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Two whole pages on how to carry skis!! Next week: how to get out of bed efficiently. Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
being a pixie, I can cause different but equally interesting injuries to tall chaps! wink

Cripes! not another one . . . was there summat in't water in the sixties and seventies that created fat dim bokes and shortarsed bolshie wimen? rolling eyes
snow conditions
Masque, That's the funniest post I've read in quite a while! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
I carry mine under my arm. As long as I'm not knocking you out with them, what's your problem? Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy