Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to France - headlamp beam deflector question

Poster: A snowHead
I wonder if anyone can tell me what the best glue is to stick these on - I'd quite like to recycle last years ones as I'm too mean to buy new ones, but I'm worried they might fall off in a snowstorm if I use the wrong glue (I'm DIY-challenged). While I'm at it, thanks for all the great advice on snowheads - I am sorted with a proper spare wheel and a télépéage thingy Very Happy Very Happy because of posts on here.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AW, they are self adhesive, I've never tried to reuse them, but tips for keeping them on during your holiday are. Turn on your headlamps to warm up the glass before applying them, and wipe them with a cleaning cloth.Probably best to buy some new ones.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hot glue would be my vote for sticking them back on, its awesome stuff. You can usually pick up a cheap glue gun and sticks at a market.

Temporally sticks practically anything nice and secure, plus most of the time its easy to remove the glue afterwards.

Might not be the most cost effective solution as im sure it will cost more than a new set, but great to have round the house anyway.

Jamie
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen Beaumont, taemo, thanks! Probably best to buy some new ones...though I think I've got a glue gun somewhere (a relic from a previous life as a primary teacher). Forgot how much fun it was!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AW, masking tape works just as well and much cheaper than replacing every time.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lou wrote:
AW, masking tape works just as well and much cheaper than replacing every time.

yeah that's what i've used when I can be bothered...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was surprised to find out that the Xenon Headlights on my Espace don't require beam deflectors, something to do with the light pattern. Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is this a dying habit? Like the yellow head lights used by the French in early years?

I couldn't get a conversion kit for my successive Shogun over last 6 seasons. The headlamp has no calibration, plain glass and the dealer told me there is no after-market fitment for it for driving in the continent. I did even try places like Halford a couple of times but may not be hard enough.

New cars don't seem to have any marking to stick on the conversion. That is certainly true for the wife's Golf.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think that headlights now have a much sharper cut-off when dipped: they used to show the kerb -- and most of the height of a lamp post as well, which naturally annoyed our French friends when they were in the lamp post position; new ones seem to be much more tightly controlled in the vertical plane.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
saikee, For a VW's Golf you can get head lamp protective covers that also include Beam deflector markings and tape. Speak to your VW dealer.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lupinp2003, apart from all the big 4 x 4 s which still blind you since the headlights sit well above most drivers eye level anyway!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman wrote:
I was surprised to find out that the Xenon Headlights on my Espace don't require beam deflectors, something to do with the light pattern. Puzzled

You cant fit beam deflectors to Xenon lights ( they get too hot and will melt the stick ons). Xenon lights can be adjusted by the dealership (at a cost)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CarlT, No, the Espace ones can't and neither could the Vel Satis that I had before. They are self levelling/self adjusting Xenons. There is no dealer adjustment required for continental driving. I emailed Renault UK & Renault france with the question and adjustment or deflectors are not neccessary.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Headlight Axle Deflectors, See the Care4car ambit of biking car accessories, such as a Warning Triangle, Headlamp Axle Deflectors, and a High Visibility, I'd adapted a able-bodied accepted cast of headlamp axle deflectors due to the warnings about damaging polycarbonate lenses. They were adapted in balmy dry conditions,Flashlight z!!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AW, lupinp2003, Spyderman, CarlT,
I think all this to do with the fact that the method of dipping headlights on continental vehicles has never involved a horizontal shift as well as a vertical dip like our laws required. I think this is why LHD cars never have headlamp deflectors when they are over here, or maybe they just don't care. Anyway I would be interested to know if there is a definitive answer, maybe a snowhead who is in the car business would tell us. To be honest I never bother with them now, if the lights appear to be annoying people then I just dip them a bit more with the adjuster, which pretty well all cars under 15 years old have anyway.
ski holidays
The laws constraining Xenon headlights are very tight due to the amount of light passing through and the possibility of dazzling other drivers, which is why any car which has them fitted must legally have automatic levelling headlights and also headlight wash. They are actually cooler to the touch than normal halogen headlights due to using less power (they are far, far more efficient in converting electrical power to light than halogen bulbs).

UK headlights spread a beam up to a horizontal cut-off line, and almost always have a kick-up to the left-hand side as well (above the horizontal line) to illuminate the near-side curb. This can most easily be seen by driving up to a garage door (stopping about 10-15 feet away) and looking at the beam cut-off on the door. On most cars which have a headlight adjuster for driving on the continent the adjuster simply blocks out this kick-up leaving just the horizontal cut-off, which is the same approach used by the stick-on masking tape solution and most adhesive adaptors. I'd guess the Espace mentioned simply doesn't have the kick-up so it's in effect pre-adjusted - very good for going straight across to the continent, but not quite as effective at lighting up the curbside and side hedgerows in the UK.

The Porsche I have is nigh-on impossible to adjust as the headlight lens is a long way away from the plastic light cover. However the front fog-lights also have the horizontal cut-off (the only car I've come across that has that) so if I am caught out after dark in France I use those instead of dipped beam headlights. Not ideal, and if I were taking it over there during the winter I'd effect a more permanent solution!
latest report
my 54 plate VW Passat, and my previous T plate Audi A6 has little levers in or next to the rear of the headlamp area that switched them from left to right hand ilumination.
snow report
Anyone used beam deflectors on the new Nissan x-trail. we have xenon headlights too.
latest report
mfj197 wrote:
The Porsche I have...
What a drag, I have the same problem with the Spyker and the Aston, that's why I always take my knackered old Merc estate... rolling eyes
snow report
Just dazzle 'em, after all they decided to drive on the wrong side of the road............... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
If you have height adjuster in the car (electric beam alteration) in the car just turn the lights down to a low position which does not effect the on coming drivers, some cars do have a manual switch over on the lights for european driving consult the manual or ring the local dealership.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy