Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Swiss rail tunnels battle with geology

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Two huge new Swiss rail tunnels into Italy - designed to cut road freight traffic - are facing geological challenges, delays and cost overruns. Engineers have had to stop repeatedly because of fault lines... The sheer weight of mountain above the tunnels has generated heat and dust churned up by drilling equipment.

The two tunnels - the 36-mile St. Gotthard and the 21-mile Loetschberg - which will link Zurich and Bern (respectively) with Milan - will reduce travel times by up to a half. They are part of the Swiss government's strategy to reduce the number of trucks on the road by 50%. Another bonus may emerge:
Quote:
A grandiose plan still on the drawing board, because there isn't yet funding, is the Porta Alpina underground station, which would be the world's deepest. Halfway between Zurich and Milan, an elevator would lift passengers 2,600 feet up through Alpine rock to give them a view of the Surselva Valley, and return them underground to catch a train.

This report from The Miami Herald.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 29-11-04 16:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are other countries all way in front of us with development? I remember going on the Channel Shuttle, chugging all the way from Waterloo, going into the tunnel and flying the rest of the way.

We have the most congested roads and antiquitated railways, but really object to doing anything about it.

Just need the offer of a job in Switzerland now I think, or can someone recommend better?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy