Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Courses - recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm a 6-week skier - and I guess I'm what you call an 'intermediate' (happy on Blues and moderate Reds - but struggle on anything much harder).

I'm looking to get myself on a weeks intensive ski course to try and improve my rather average technique - and also to help me start exploring the rest of the mountain (I've never tried bumps, and have had limited experience/success with off-piste)

I'm aware of the Warren Smith courses in Verbier/ Saas-Fee - but wondered if there were any others worth looking at?

Thanks Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abj, welcome to snowHead
I guess it depends on where you want to go, when and budget.
Are you limited to Europe? - there's courses in North America, New Zealand, ...
Are you limited to particular months of the year? (perhaps ruling out a summer trip to New Zealand)
Are you wanting to spend £500 or £5000?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
abj, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
Pete Silver-Gillespie @ www.alpinecoaching.co.uk He offers a variety of courses aimed at different levels.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the welcome!

Spyderman, I'll have look at the website. Thanks.

Wear The Fox Hat, probably Europe, and hopefully before the end of this year's ski season (if it's not too late to organise). Budget is flexible - but hopefully by keeping it to Europe will ease the pressure on my wallet!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
abj, Welcome to snowheads, the warren smith courses are excellent, but you might struggle as they are pitched at slightly more experienced skiers, but if you are fit and up for it you could have a go. Pete Silver-Gillespie mentioned above is also excellent.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snoworks.co.uk
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As a 6-week skier I would have thought that the regular classes and clinics of places like New Generation, Ski Supreme, Parallel Lines, The Development Centre, etc, would be a good option. Snoworks runs an Easy Terrain course which might be suitable.

As an alternative this forum is running a large trip to Val Thorens at the end of April, the EOSB, which will include opportunities for high quality instruction in clinics or private lessons, as well as lots of opportunities to ski with a range of people of a variety of standards.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jbob, that was my concern.

Having said that, looking at the course desciptions (http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/about-the-course_group-and-skier-levels.htm), I think(?) I fit the description of the "group 2 intermediate". Has anyone had any experience of this particular course?

As for Snoworks - it looks like I've missed the 'Easy Terrain' courses (looks like the last one of the season was on 2nd Feb).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abj, six weeks of skiing is ideal for doing a Warren Smith course. There is always a good range of abilities from instructors/expert skiers down to people who didn't read the website and can barely snowplough but Warren and his coaches always manage to sort everyone out. At your level you would probably be at the lower end of the ability range but would get a lot out of the course. I've seen people start off at your level and be skiing itineraries at the end of the week
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
abj wrote:
As for Snoworks - it looks like I've missed the 'Easy Terrain' courses (looks like the last one of the season was on 2nd Feb).

There's one in Val d'Isere on the 13th of April. I've done quite a few Snoworks courses over the years. Best instruction I've had.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wear The Fox Hat, I know you do a lot of skiing in the US, so do you know of any particular women's courses - ones that would last longer than a couple of days? I'm thinking of going on my own next year and would like to join a group, but I understand the Epic courses are quite short? Cheers.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
erica2004, Sally Chapman runs women-only courses, although these are for weekends rather than full weeks.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
erica2004, PM Helen Beaumont. I believe she did one. Although as far as I recall she didn't enjoy it much.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any pros/cons as far as Snoworks vs. Warren Smith is concerned?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sally Chapman also does mixed courses - have done one and found it great

www.inspiredtoski.com
snow conditions
rob@rar, RandomSkier, Looks good.
maggi, Oh dear. Shocked
latest report
erica2004,

I think that Helen Beaumont took the "women on the edge" programme in Whistler.

Also in Canada, Karen Stemmle and Liisa Savijarvi used to run a women-only ski camp.
snow conditions
Acacia wrote:

I think that Helen Beaumont took the "women on the edge" programme in Whistler.

what a name - they might as well have called it Ski-PMT NehNeh
snow report
erica2004, my wife and I skiied with these guys in the US http://www.skinastc.com/m2_s1c.html and were they were pretty good. They do a women only course, and the 'normal' course we did was 50/50.

abj, haven't skiied with snoworks but I would estimate that Warren gets upwards of 80% repeat business on his courses? I've also seen people's skiing improve enormously by skiing with him and the guys (myself included) and of course there are one or two beers consumed during the week

red 27, brave call my friend wink
ski holidays
BGA wrote:
abj, haven't skiied with snoworks but I would estimate that Warren gets upwards of 80% repeat business on his courses? I've also seen people's skiing improve enormously by skiing with him and the guys (myself included) and of course there are one or two beers consumed during the week

Ditto, except interchange "Warren" and "snoworks" - so not much help from any of us really Laughing
snow conditions
Thanks BGA & GrahamN, looks like it's 'toss a coin time'!
latest report
red 27, PARDON??????????? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
abj, I would also stick in a vote for Skivolution in Courchevel. I just came back from a week of 2hours/day tuition and feel I learned a lot from it. I have done Snoworks too, and had a blast, but my perception was that it was a bit gung-ho and wouldn't suit everybody. Not done WS, though.

David
ski holidays
DJ, who was your instructor from Skivolution?
snow conditions
slikedges, Pat for three days, then Rob for two. I was quite nervous about changing, but they did an excellent handover (I'm guessing in a bar somewhere) and we got the benefit of two different presentations of the same philosophy. It wasn't an easy ride (one comment from another student "we're not going down there, are we?") but I always felt the instructor knew where to draw the line.
latest report
DJ, they have got an excellent reputation but of course mainly take in-house clients I understand. I know Matt who works for them who's a great young instructor.

I can echo the positive comments made on this thread about both alpine coaching and snoworks. I think the standard from both is very high and I can't believe anyone would come away disappointed from either.
latest report
Quote:

DJ, they have got an excellent reputation but of course mainly take in-house clients I understand

I saw it as a package deal - chalet and instruction - I don't know if you can split them out, but that way it suited me, and possibly the OP.
latest report
Can anyone recommend an intensive course for a geriatric neither fit nor athletic near beginner. I'd like to find a course for about 3-5 days somewhere in Europe in the hope that next year I'll be able to ski with my son (without him spending most of his time waiting for me).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
trevor, try www.bobski.com
snow conditions
Thanks has anyone been on their courses?
snow report
trevor, See http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5018&highlight=bobski
latest report
david@mediacopy, cool, didnt know that John Sheddon was still active....
ski holidays
erica2004 wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, I know you do a lot of skiing in the US, so do you know of any particular women's courses - ones that would last longer than a couple of days? I'm thinking of going on my own next year and would like to join a group, but I understand the Epic courses are quite short? Cheers.

Epic courses are for 4 days. Four FULL days, of 5-6 hours of instruction a day, instead of the 1-week of half day typically in Europe.

So, as far as instruction time goes, it's just as long. But people may prefer one or the other.

Pop over to theskidiva.comn and do a search there (you don't have to sign up to read). There's a very long thread on women only ski clinics a while back.

Epic courses are all mix-gender.
ski holidays
abj wrote:
Any pros/cons as far as Snoworks vs. Warren Smith is concerned?

I've done a number of weeks with Warren & can recommend them. My 3rd & 4th weeks skiing were with him as were my 12th & 15th. I'd say as a 6 week skier now would be an ideal time to go.

I've heard great things about Snoworks from customers & respected contributed to this forum but haven't been myself. When I compared their respective website's last year it looked like there was a lot less instruction time with Snoworks, which was confirmed by a phone call to Emma Carrick-Anderson - so I went with Warren again.

Warren's ethos is very much 'all mountain' skiing & he doesn't offer the racing specific classes that Snoworks offer.

I've also been out to the 4 day ESA Academy in the US which is also superb but does work out a lot more expensive. If ESA return to Utah then I'll book it to be the start of a two week trip which really brings down the 'cost per day'.
ski holidays
Quote:

Can anyone recommend an intensive course for a geriatric neither fit nor athletic near beginner.

trevor, I hope you find something suitable. However, as a geriatric skier myself, could I respectfully suggest that the fitness aspect is within your own grasp, and that you won't get much out of a course if you get too knackered to keep at it. Cycling, walking (especially up hills), some gentle stretches to improve joint mobility etc etc. No need to go mad. I did a course with Sally Chapman some time ago, and found it excellent. Small group, but the others were all half my age. They weren't all better skiers, but they were that much stronger, and when the weather was a bit grotty, and we'd been doing some quite intensive exercises, the age difference did show!

The whole experience was well worth while, and I'd like to do more intensive courses - but as we have an apartment, and season lift passes, in a small French resort paying extra for accommodation and passes is a bit too expensive.

You might have a look at easiski.com - the website of Charlotte Swift, one of Snowheads' favourite instructors. Some private sessions with Charlotte (which are amazing value) might be better for you than a course. She has also experimented with over 50s weeks, which might be more sociable if she is doing one at a time to suit you. She's a great instructor.
latest report
abj, forgot to mention that Warren does runs taster sessions at the various Xscape slopes in the Spring & Autumn. These are a great way of experiencing Warren & his guys in action.
ski holidays
Quote:

If ESA return to Utah then I'll book it to be the start of a two week trip which really brings down the 'cost per day'.

Not exactly in Utah. But this year they added one at end of March in Montana, which is within driving distance from Salt Lake City.
snow conditions
skimottaret, He's still about as far as I know, though I've not bumped into him since the Autumn Smile
ski holidays
Just completed a Snoworks all terrain course and I have to say it was well worth every penny. The instruction was inspirational - lots of different ways of teaching technique which helped develop a kind of ethos which was to be able "go any where on skis". It helped that we had great conditions, but Phil Smith was such an enthusiastic and able instructor that I felt he could teach anything and make it interesting and engaging for the learner.

It was hard work, and I felt the need to rest a lot afterward. It was much harder (fitness wise) than any ski school lessons I've done. I found I had to/will have to relearn some of my "old school style" and I would certainly learn more if I went again. It's not a been there done it sort of course - much more a part of continual development.

The snoworks team worked hard to meet everyones needs and put people in the right groups for ability and expectation. I'd certainly recommend the courses they run.
latest report
I can happily recommend Alpine Coaching. Pete silver and his coaches endeavour to build up a skiers abilities with great patience and encouragement. The coaching is all day. There is also video feedback.

The Hintertux location is about the best in the world. Hotels used are beyond reproach. Access to the lift system - it's very close.

Many of the Alpine Coaching clients return again and again - some several times a year.

Check out the website. Although not as glitzy as Warren's or Phil's - the coaching that is actually provided is, in my opinion, unbeatable.

if you want to understand skiing techniques and improve your skills - contact Alpine coaching. It's world class coaching at a great price.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy