Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

De-tuning skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Most shops if they service your skis and sharpen your edges de-tune the edges near each end (ie blunt them slightly).
This makes sense for skiers that skid their turns a bit, but should good skiers ask shops not to do it?
This thought was provoked by the fact that my new Missions carved on icy pistes quite beautifully, but after a while were not gripping as well. I thought a service would deal with it but they still weren't holding as well on icy slopes. Is that just the magic of a brand-new ski or could it be detuning by the shop?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i believe modern skis should be sharp tip to tail. I don't blunt my missions...

cheers,

greg
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No, this was only in the days pre carver. I'm sure spyderjon will be along soon to advise the merits of a 'good' service or even the benefits and satisfaction of DIY
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Actually depending on the type of ski I think it can be beneficial to have the edges prepared differently along the length of the ski. On a freeride ski you want a little bit of 'wash-out' towards the tip and tail to enable easier pivoting and sliding, and to prevent the ski from hooking up in powder. I've always asked for this to be done at ski shops, and when I had my tuning lesson with spyderjon he confirmed that he does the same thing. It was brought home to me recently when I had my Gotamas serviced by a shop who didn't do it and I found it very difficult to ski in the bumps and variables and had to take a rock to the edges and do a little DIY on mountain tuning.

I think it is a balance between the conditions, the type of ski and what you are skiing. It makes sense that a ski that holds an edge well on hard icy pistes will be more difficult to slide and pivot around
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gsb, wink

snowball, With modern carving skis there’s no longer any need to detune the tips & tails of the ski. Detuned carving skis won’t hold the described turning arc of the ski. With proper bevel, footbeds & knee alignment your skis will perform better if sharp the entire running length. If you do find your skis a bit too ‘hooky’, rather than detuning (ie blunting) the end 100/200mm of the tip which was common on old straight skis it’s better to slightly increase the base edge angle over about 25-50mm around the contact point at the tip. The contact point is were the base edge, side edge & the snow meet. This allows the edge to engage more progressively (& less aggressively) but still gives full length hold.

Unfortunately many stores routinely detune both brand new skis & during a service because they don't know any better rolling eyes. So yes, if you're having a shop tune tell them not to detune the tips'n'tails. If they've already been done then there's not a lot you can do about it without removing quite a bit of material.

The only time I detune very slightly is when I tune skis for a couple of very gnarly freeriders/ski mountaineers who are on 190+cm very wide skis & often get in to 'turn or die' situations. I tune these guy's skis with a 3 degree side edge for 450mm underfoot, blending to 2 degrees for the next 450mm each way then the last 100mm each way for 1 degree. Base edge is 1 degree full length but is increased to 1.5 for about 80mm each end with a touch of detune. These guys are doing jump turns on 50 degree slopes & do not want to catch an edge.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks spyderjon (& everyone else).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

The only time I detune very slightly is when I tune skis for a couple of very gnarly freeriders/ski mountaineers who are on 190+cm very wide skis & often get in to 'turn or die' situations. I tune these guy's skis with a 3 degree side edge for 450mm underfoot, blending to 2 degrees for the next 450mm each way then the last 100mm each way for 1 degree. Base edge is 1 degree full length but is increased to 1.5 for about 80mm each end with a touch of detune. These guys are doing jump turns on 50 degree slopes & do not want to catch an edge.

It's OK spyderjon, you can mention me by name if you want wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BGA, these are guys that land their hucks wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy