Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine 16-23 February: Ski partner/guide?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Snowheads... I am coming to ski Morzine with my wife and 10 year old daughter. (It's to celebrate my 50th b-day!) I'm looking for someone to ski with who may be familiar with the off-piste (or willing to explore). I've tried all the guide services, but they seem to be booked. (ESF, The Snow School, Easy2Ride, etc.) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

PS- I hail from a "sister" forum in the US: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/index.php
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BigDaddy, welcome to Snowheads, and European skiing. Sorry I can't help with your specific request - we have just returned from the Alps for some weeks, to escape the very busy school holiday period. I hope somebody will be along soon with some suggestions. There are a number of Snowheads who know Morzine very well, but it's mainly those with children (and thus no choice) who are out there next week. Off-piste sounds a good idea; won't be so busy! snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, Pam. All this talk about hordes of people is scaring me! Unfortunately, it's when we have to do it. I'm prepared to wait in lines... (and I won't whine!) I'm actually very excited. The snow looks great and it's been a few years (15) since I was in the Alps! To be there with my family will be fun in itself.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BigDaddy, I left the Alps yesterday and the snow was looking great. I've never skied in the US, but people who have assure me that the lift lines there are much more civilised. I wish French resorts would introduce "singles lines" or somehow stop people riding with half empty chairs when there's a long wait. However, Morzine and surrounding area is certainly more civilized than some parts of the Alps and a great family area. Have fun!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome to snowHeads BigDaddy.

I ski out in Morzine, but unfortunately won't be out when you're out.

As pam w says, your possible problem in trying to book is because it's a mid-term break for the British schools and the places you're trying are all ski schools - which is why everything is booked. If you can already ski comfortably off-piste then what you need is a proper high mountain guide, rather than an instructor from a ski school. The difference is that guides aren't supposed to teach you how to ski.

Generally, every town will have a "Bureau des guides" and the Morzine website lists it as +33 6 68 93 06 79 - which is a bit strange as it's a mobile number.

Personally, I'd recommend phoning the tourist office and asking them for the number.

One thing, though, whilst there's loads of off-piste around the area, Morzine and Les Gets itself have relatively little compared to Avoriaz and the rest of the "main" Portes du Soleil circuit. So, I'd suggest booking a guide out of Avoriaz.

The Avoriaz tourist office number is +334 50 74 02 11.

The local "classic" route is called the Vallee de la Manche - which goes off the back of the Col du Fornet at the top of Avoriaz and down to a valley running up from Morzine. There's a (free) local ski bus that'll take to Morzine - where you can get another bus to Avoriaz. The route isn't particularly challenging, but is well worth doing for scenary.

If you're prepared to earn your turns and do some skinning then there's lots of fun to be found - and you should tell the guide in advance. For example, from the bottom of the Vallee de la Manche it's possible to skin up and over the Col de Cou into Switzerland.

Do bear in mind that in Europe anything not on the piste is technically "off-piste". We don't have the idea that everything in the ski area is secured unless otherwise signed.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you Phillip. I've about exhausted my options... lesson is, I should have booked when I made original reservations last Oct! I guess I'll just have to rely on my intuition and the kindness of strangers (and hope the anti-American sentiment isn't too strong!). I've always had good luck meeting people and I hear there will a few there this week!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BigDaddy wrote:
Thank you Phillip. I've about exhausted my options... lesson is, I should have booked when I made original reservations last Oct! I guess I'll just have to rely on my intuition and the kindness of strangers (and hope the anti-American sentiment isn't too strong!). I've always had good luck meeting people and I hear there will a few there this week!

Oh, don't worry about that. That's the british we really hate... wink

Re Bureau des Guides, this site has a land line number : http://www.bureaudesguides.net/ang-index.php3
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
philippeR wrote:
Oh, don't worry about that. That's the british we really hate... wink

Re Bureau des Guides, this site has a land line number : http://www.bureaudesguides.net/ang-index.php3

Merci philippeR.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy