Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Knee Braces

Poster: A snowHead
Have a couple of questions regarding knee braces, having been having this problem with my knee and still not decided whether to cancel our trip or not. Its been mentioned by SWMBO to consider a knee brace.

So - How many snowHead ski with a knee brace ?

What sort do you use ?

Where would I get one from ?

Realistically how much would I expect to pay - I know price would vary considerably and you get what you pay for.But you only buy it once and if it means the difference form skiing or not for the rest of my existence....

Does it affect yuor skiing ability, any limitations or hinderances with it ?

Im not convinved yet that its going to be very benefical, had a chat with a physio regarding one. He mentions that it would help with stability of the knee but so will muscle. He showed me one in a catalogue he has which looked ok. But it only allowed for 110 degree bend which I wondered if that would be enough ? On first impressions it seems ok for general skiing but would it be for more extreme sorts of stuff, and when checking how far 110 deg. was Im concerned about sitting on chairlifts.

Any help, info, and advice greatly appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bones, my knee only bends to about 110 degrees. Getting on chairs can be hilarious, but I usually manage Laughing
I think braces help with the mind only, that said I usually use one.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pro Line Pinto hinged both sides, cost can't, remember about £60 I think. I wear it for 7-8 hours no problem it has an additional pattella pad that can be put in which stabilizes the knee even more. I wouldn't be skiing without it. Very Happy
ski holidays
 bloxy
bloxy
Depends what you mean by knee brace.

If you mean a bit of wetsuit leg with or without some bits of plastic/metal hinge that you buy from a sports shop, then apart from keeping you warm of little real benefit.

If you mean a proper custom made orthopaedic appliance which controls the path of movement and range of flexion/extension of the joint, then can be of great benefit depending on the condition for which it is applied.

If you see anyone wearing one of these on the outside of their clothing they are performing an equivalent function of a sign round their neck saying I've got a jippy knee, they are not protecting the joint!

If you have a knee problem that you believe needs help then get a proper diagnosis and biomechanical assessment and the prescription of a suitable device. Otherwise concentrate on developing your muscles to control your knee's movement.

In my experience any of the neoprene type devices limit flexion because they bunch up behind the knee, if you continue to atempt to bend then that force is translated into forcing the lower leg forwards and further stressing the joint.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Innovations Sports (Cti) and Donjoy make knee braces for skiers. Most other brands are supports only, no matter how many hinges and straps they have. Do some googling, learn the differences, and decide exactly what you want to achieve.

For a brace expect to pay £300-£400 including fitting.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bloxy, snowbunny, agreed. If it is cheap and self fitted, then it will probably be of no use.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bones, I used to ski with the neoprene type, but I gave them up - they make no difference. My husband won't go skiing without one on each knee - I reckon they're as much use as a St Christopher dangling in the car. He, however, swears by them and says they give the joint useful support. He has had two arthroscopies.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bones, Last year I skied with a Donjoy knee brace following a disaster to my knee the previous year.

http://www.physioroom.com/product/Donjoy_Armor_with_Fourcepoint_Knee_Brace/2034/38207.html

I found it very comfortable, & it in no way inhibited my skiing. It really helped the stability & was really comfortable to wear. This year I skied without it & in fact have forgotten which was the bad knee Confused

I got it from the physio following consultant orthopaedic surgeon recommendation - not cheap, but worth every penny. Had to bemeasured up for it. I was back to playing tennis in it within 3 months of injuring my knee (ACL, medial & lateral ligaments, medial & collateral menisuses, & posterior capsule!). Also wore it while exercising leg - hamstrings & quads to aid stability.

Good luck with your knee
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, My husband wears neoprene knee protectors. He feels that the extra warmth they provide help his knees
latest report
 bloxy
bloxy
geri wrote:
pam w, My husband wears neoprene knee protectors. He feels that the extra warmth they provide help his knees

Some longer socks would be cheaper Very Happy
snow report
 bloxy
bloxy
You may find this helpful.

http://www.ski-injury.com/brace.htm
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bloxy wrote:
geri wrote:

If you're wearing proper ski socks - i.e. thin ones - they won't provide much warmth! Very Happy

Different types of knee supports are available, and they come in different guises for different uses. I wouldn't write them all off with some bland statement without understanding what each one is for, and why various people use them.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bloxy,
Quote:

If you mean a bit of wetsuit leg with or without some bits of plastic/metal hinge that you buy from a sports shop, then apart from keeping you warm of little real benefit.

Your opinion of course, all that I would say is that without my bit of neoprene and metal it is painful to ski, with it I am OK.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wear something like this: http://www.bikeandrun.co.uk/bikeshop/images/vulkan/freeknee.jpg

The patella is covered though, and basically is just support for my patella. Obviously muscle is the way to go, but so far the brace has been fine with regards to motion and so forth and it does make my knee feel a lot stronger when I put it on.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
bloxy wrote:
geri wrote:

If you're wearing proper ski socks - i.e. thin ones - they won't provide much warmth! Very Happy

Different types of knee supports are available, and they come in different guises for different uses. I wouldn't write them all off with some bland statement without understanding what each one is for, and why various people use them.

Agreed, which is why I suggested to the OP that they do some research and decide what they wish to achieve with a support/brace.

FWIW after knee surgery, and losing lots of cartlidge/meniscus I was told that I would not need to use a support. Which was great, right up to the point when my knee decided it needed cosseting. This was accompanied by the sort of pain that leaves you damp all over. I now use a support, it's got 8 straps, 2 carbon fibre stays and hinge wedges that remind me not to over extend the knee Toofy Grin
It was made by Innovation Sports who make the Cti range of braces.
latest report
Thanks guys for the help so far, I wasnt looking at a neoprene knee support, if I have to go down this route it will probably be of the other variety. As Im not sure of the nature of injury as yet - consultants are out on deciding on this one Confused either playing a guessing game or cost limitation for the NHS. Doesnt sem like Im going to find out soon either Sad So wondered how much, at this moment in time, a brace would be of benefit.

Im also concerned with any loss of range of movement/mobility with using one.
ski holidays
Bones wrote:

Im also concerned with any loss of range of movement/mobility with using one.

I hope it all works out okay for you. If it helps at all, my OH is missing an anterior cruiciate ligament and uses a CTi Edge Brace supplied by the NHS ( work purposes at the time). He's happy to drive whilst wearing it, and does'nt feel that it constricts his leg movement.
snow conditions
geri:
Quote:

I was back to playing tennis in it within 3 months of injuring my knee (ACL, medial & lateral ligaments, medial & collateral menisuses, & posterior capsule!).

Did you snap any/all of those ligaments and were back to tennis in that timeframe?? Did you have any reconstructive work?

Just curious as I am having ACL reconstruction in April (skiing in Chamonix first though - one last hurrah - with knee brace)
Based on my OS's advice, am expecting no such vigorous/pivoting/weight-bearing activity for about 9 months (back on skis by Jan '09 though, woo hoo!)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tennis after 3 months Shocked

Much harder on the knees than skiing IMHO.
latest report
oh8777, I tore them all, but not complete tears. I had no surgery - they said I was too old (cheek Evil or Very Mad ) & would only consider it if the knee proved to be unstable. I did lots of physio & gymwork though to strengthen it - & the brace was fantastic - it kept the knee quite stable with sideways & pivoting movements. So yes - tennis after 3 months Very Happy

Frosty the Snowman, You've not seen me play tennis Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
This site usually crops up in these discussions

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/index.html

My ACL is snapped.
I use one of these
http://www.snowandrock.com/Brands/Bioskin/
psychological really, but as mentioned prviously, it also helps keep the knee warm
snow report
kermit,
Yeah same, I used a DonJoy Playmaker last time I skied.. am fairly sure that in the event that I crashed badly, it'd make little real difference - it's all in the mind though. The more you fear crashing or falling awkwardly, the more likely that outcome is..!

Any plans to get it operated on?
latest report
Another endorsement for the CTi 'Edge' brace.

Snapped my ACL last Jan. (dam ice!) and skied at Christmas wearing my £400 quids worth of brace.

Was recomended by my OS and I use it for dinghy sailing and skiing. My knee is quite stable (I've been working very hard) but I found the brace gave me some security and it helped when I was walloped by a out of control child sliding into me.

Kermit - do you look at kneeguru? I found it really helpful last year.
snow report
I have three .... including 'Donjoy' and 'CRtI' ( sp??) . I've had a 'few' knee ops ....

I have however found that skiing has 'strengthened' that which I have left ...... I havent used a brace for 8 weeks when skiing ... I would even suggest my knees are a touch stronger !!!!

This isn't medical advice !!! Embarassed
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snapped my ACL about 10 years ago now playing silly bugs on the slope. Took my quacks ages to diagnose it as all the manipulation tests they do didn't show anything up, mainly because I had been skiing since I was 10 and had played rugby whilst at school & college so the muculature around the knee was well developed. Finally diagnosed it from an MRI scan after about 6 months of to-ing & fro-ing.
I was advised that reconstructive surgery was probably not the best way to go as the risks of complications are quite high (backed up by Mrs Big G who is an orthopaedic trauma nurse), so I was instructed to get down the gym and work on rebuilding all the muscles. I enquired about braces and was told that he prefer it if I didn't because my brain had to get used to firing the muscles without the strain signal from the ligament. A brace could actually make things worse as you tend to rely on the brace to take a lot of the load, and then your muscles aren't prepared to support the knee when they are needed. I found that your body is very good at giving you advanced warning of when you are pushing things a bit far and time to back it off a bit. I now ski without a brace, and as hard as I ever have with no ill effects. In a wipeout situation my muscles are already supporting my knee from the normal skiing work they are doing, so I haven't had any further complications from falls either. The only thing that I conciously avoid is the silly bug stuff (jumps onto flatish landings, fall-line mogul bashing etc), oh and the plyometric lunges my trainer tries to get me to do...unfortunately she usually wins that argument Evil or Very Mad
What I recommend is that you follow the advice of the medical professionals, they certainly got it right for me Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just a question for everyone still skiiing with snapped ACL's....do you still experience your knee "opening up" from time to time??

I have to say I'm quite impressed with you all still being able to ski with as serious an injury like that.

I have concerns with repeated use of supports....supports should only be used during the rehab period as constant use leads to dependancy.

For those who like keeping the area warm....why not try rubbing Deep Heat (Anti-social I know!!) or Tiger Balm to the keep the area warm...if not tubi-grip will do.

oh8777, Good luck with your operation, Follow your Doctors and Physios advice and DO AS YOU'RE TOLD!!! next year's season is do-able....just don't rush things, getting an all clear before you book a holiday would be wise.
snow conditions
Never had a problem with my knee whilst skiing. The only time I notice any sort of discomfort is when I am lying on the sofa for a prolonged period of time, if my knee isn't supported on a cushion and all the muscles relax then it can sublux a little bit. At this point I tend to get a dull aching sensation, not painfull, but the sort that makes you fidgety Evil or Very Mad. But apart from that, nothing.......quickly starts touching every bit of wood within reach Toofy Grin
Seriously though, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to ski with ACL damage. The ligaments are only there to offer support to the joint when the muscles aren't doing their job. In fact the muscles can offer way more support to the joint than ligaments ever will. Get down the gym, build the muscles, and train the brain to work the muscles without the 'stretch' signal from the ligament and you will be fine.
My consultant told me that surgery is only really required if you can't go about your everyday life without it. If you can get on with your normal life without surgery then go for that option, and then put in the hard work at the gym to get your knee ready for skiing. This is not something that can be done quickly, it takes time and hard work. Push the knee (in a controlled way-do not do plyometrics on an unstable knee) to the point of very slight discomfort and no further, if you push it too far with muscles that can't support the joint properly you will agravate all the other ligaments which will become inflamed and then you will be forced to stop exercising until it settles down and be back to square one. Over time the strength will come, it won't happen over night. Very Happy
snow conditions
I have just come back from skiing having used a neoprene support for the first time. I've had two arthroscopies to the right knee in the past which have been succesful but twisted my knee badly playing squash last year and I believe I will need surgery again. However, there was no way I was going to miss my trip. I was able to play without the support but the warming of the knee and possible pyscological effect using it made it worthwhile despite the slight reduction in flexion. So it has been with the skiing. I put it on after breaky and took it off after apres.
I'm not suggesting it is a substitute for surgery or good muscle tone (mine's not that bad, I do a fair amount of cycling which is good for the quads and do circuits once a week) but it gave me the confidence to ski as I normally do. Now I am back I will see the OS to see if I can get it fixed.....again!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
elj221c, Thanks for that, what were the arthroscopies for may I ask ? Im going to see the consultant again on Tuesday but just asking people about braces. Ive lost a little muscle tone, which is usually good, from two weeks immobility and wondered about a brace or such to aid the skiing. Confused
ski holidays
The first was in '87 to remove a small piece of bone which had been partly fractured a few years before in a cycling accident. I managed to complete the job whilst skiing on the Stubai glacier. I put a ski through some 'boiler plate' and twisted the knee. I carried on skiing with the knee bandaged tight with elastic bandage for the rest of the trip. The following weekend when I got home I was playing squash. Went for a drop at the front of the court bending the right knee to the max. Out popped the piece of bone which jammed the knee! Ouch! This also caused damage to the meniscus, which was tidied up at the same time.
The second was in 2001. Another meniscus tear, maybe a hangover from the previous injury. I was told to carry on as normal by the OS but I don't thing that cycling two days after the op was what he had in mind!
As I said, my current problem was caused by another squash incident. Perhaps it's time I gave up?! Had my foot 'stick' to the floor and twisted round it, the lower leg assuming a strange angle during the resulting fall, according to eye witnesses. They thought I had dislocated it. RICER seemed to do the biz at the time but 18 months later the knee is beginning to 'click' and swell up at odd times. It is also not good when using stairs, especially going down. I have been using the support for the last few weeks while playing and circuits. I bought an identical one so that I could use them alternate days. £40 the pair but worth it for me for the confidence and warmth they have offered.
Anyway, having come home I will see about another trip to the OS. Best of luck for tomorrow's consultation. Keep us posted.
latest report
I tore my ACL about 15 years ago. I've never had any surgery on it.

I did lots of excercises to build up the muscles in that leg but for the next few years my knee gave me some problems when skiing. Never had any problems with general piste skiing, only more agressive stuff like jumping and mogules. Also had lots of problems with off piste due to the twisting if i got into heavy crud. Used to ski very gently because was always scared I would damage it further if I fell.

After taking advice from a sports therapist about 6 years ago I bought a Donjoy Armour. Best £400 I ever spent. Doesn't restrict movement and is very supportive
I can now ski as aggressively as I want, and have tested it with many a fall, and never had any problems (where's that wood for me to touch)

My knee gives me problems quite often during the year. Simpilist things like standing up and turning/twisting at the same time gets it to dislocate. (Feels like going over your ankle, except it's the knee)
snow report
Gary R, Welcome to snowHead ... why haven't we seen you before ??

r u sure its a 'dislocation' Confused Confused snowHead
snow report
If you dislocated it you would be on the floor screaming in pain, trust me. It sounds like your patella is just very loose to me.
snow report
Timmaah, I'm not sure if you are medically qualified to make the assessment above, though from my experience dislocaton takes many forms. My Acromion joint has now been dislocated for 3 years. It's not too far out of line, but enough to need pushing back in place during the day. The 2 surgeons who have examined it are hopeful that it will settle without the req. for surgery. I'm not exactly screaming in pain, though it does ache quite a bit rolling eyes
For a ruptured ACL, in this household, typically the damaged knee simply switches off, leaving the owner in a heap on the floor. In a sports situation it requires rigid bracing (CTi Edge) to prevent the femur going forward of the lower leg, (as explained by the surgeon). The surgeon did demonstrate this instability by moving the upper and lower leg out of alignment to support his reccommendations.
snow conditions
I've thought about getting it done.
Majority of the time it doesn't seem to need it.
Skiing been fine so far, was skiing 4/5 weeks after key hole to clean it all up inc a meniscus tear.
The knee gets tweaked every so often doing Judo type stuff, been doing it over 20 years so...

Been going to the gym for quite a few years, and the consultant and the physio reccomended that rather than surgery.
So far happy to stick with that, been ok for the past4 years.
snow conditions
dazman, thanks!
I have only had the knee 'go' on me once when skiing, when I had a twisting fall.
The rest of the time it's absolutely fine as the knees are only really moving in one plane of movement during parallel skiing. Falling and twisting is the real danger. My OS said that, if you're a decent skier and don't do anything too silly (never been my strong point!), it should be fine to ski on. Have meantime been in the gym building up muscle to strengthen it.

The real reason I'm going for the op is that with sports like squash, tennis, etc where lots of direction changes and pivoting are involved, I'll feel the knee go within 30 minutes of play, max. It is not a pleasant experience when it does!! Plus it does niggle slightly in everyday use, and is at the back of my mind during skiing too - am worried about damaging other ligaments/meniscii if I fell badly.
snow conditions
snowbunny, true, I am in no means medically qualified to make that assessment but I've dislocated my knee (patella) twice and both times have had to go to A&E.
snow report
Agenterre, Timmaah, Dislocation probably isn't the right word, but then i'm not a physision or physiotherapist. The best way I can describe it is it's like going over your ankle (only it's the knee that gives way) and it's not a comfortable experiance!

Anyway! The pont of my post was to Bones, or anyone else with a knee injury, particulary anyone with a torn ACL. It doesn't have to stop you enjoying your skiing. Cunsult with an expert about getting a brace, best thing I ever did. Now I can ski with a lot more confidance that it won't give way on me and cause and nasty fall and more damage to it (and the rest of me)
ski holidays
Gary R, That's what I meant by the term "opening up" as that's exactly what it does.....and I agree it's not the most pleasant experience you can have.
ski holidays
What I need is a brain brace.
Having just been told by my surgeon that I would be silly to ski 5.5 months after ACL reconstruction, I have lost all my incentive to do the physio Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy